Leica SL and Capture One - Basic settings / workflow

toobin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello together,

what I noticed - perhaps somebody can help me!

Everyone writes about CaptureOne as the best raw converter ever and that it is absolutely superior to Lightroom. At the moment I test CaptureOne and I must say - my results are lifeless, low in contrast and very dull. In Lightroom I use the AdobeStandard Profile and the automatic process - after that I work a little with the exposure, with the saturation, with the lights - that's it. In 90% majority of cases the result is - in my opinion - perfect. In 10% I go deeper - than I start with the color grading and other opportunities.

In CaptureOne the imported RAW is "very raw". After I use the automatic processes the file is not half as good as the files in Lightroom. Individual fotos I have concentrated on looked very great - but this after 20 minutes of individual work - that is not reproducible. When I import 200 fotos I don't want to sit 10 days in front of my MacBook - I want (for the basics) a very fast and good workflow.

How do you start with CaptureOne - what is your "basic workflow"?

Thx!

Lightroom - Adobe Standard - Automatic process.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

CaptureOne - LeicaSL Generic - Automatic process.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lightroom - Adobe Standard - Automatic process.

CaptureOne - LeicaSL Generic - Automatic process.

CaptureOne - LeicaSL Generic - No automatic process / 5 minutes of individual work.

I think you may have more luck if you posted here https://www.l-camera-forum.com/forum/55-digital-post-processing-forum/

Looking at the 2 comparison you need to increase contrast and saturation in C1

Capture one is typically much faster for me on big volumes, Lightroom takes forever and doesn't always update refresh previews..

There are plus and cons for both..

I see you like saturated landscape photos. In a certain way you are re-making the look of Lightroom in C1.  

I think you should edit the automatic process in C1.

Te command just below "auto" in the menu allows you to edit what to change with auto.

Check (or uncheck) the commands you like to apply when you click auto. Try at your taste.

Another option is to make your own profile. It's not too complicated. 

The workflow gets quick when I'm editing blocks of photos taken under similar conditions (50 photos in the ballroom, 25 in the church). I adjust one and paste settings to the others.

I get a "good enough" editing for choosing the picture I like the most. 

Then I fine tune the final selection.

Edited by Fgcm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made the switch from LR to C1 in 2016.  Last year I started using the "LeicaSL-Color Corrected" option in the "Base Characteristics" "ICC Profile" panel/ option.  Have no idea where it came from, but it has noticeably improved the colour in skies and otherwise.  If you can, use it instead of the "Leica SL Generic" profile

Maybe some other readers know where this "Color Corrected" ICC profile came from.  Was it included as a recent C1 upgrade?

14 hours ago, toobin said:

In 90% majority of cases the result is - in my opinion - perfect.

So why on earth did you switch? Because "everyone writes"? Not a very good reason, especially as it depends on which "everyone" you read...

The top two from Google:

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-photo-editing-software

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-best-photo-editing-software

The quality differences are marginal to the point that they are only of interest to pixel-peepers, if at all, and one software will be the "winner" in one aspect, another in another. In real-life images you will see only the skill of the user, which depends on the way he meshes with the features and user interface of his editing program. Some will get their best results from Photoshop, others from Lightroom, (which under the skin is the same) a third group from C1, or Affinity, or ON1, or DXO, or even (dare I say it :lol: ? ) Photos;  the list is long.

You have found that out it appears. Stick to what works best - for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb AZN:

I made the switch from LR to C1 in 2016.  Last year I started using the "LeicaSL-Color Corrected" option in the "Base Characteristics" "ICC Profile" panel/ option.  Have no idea where it came from, but it has noticeably improved the colour in skies and otherwise.  If you can, use it instead of the "Leica SL Generic" profile

Maybe some other readers know where this "Color Corrected" ICC profile came from.  Was it included as a recent C1 upgrade?

I don't find this option. Is is still available in C1 21?

I just checked my copy of C1 and don't see that profile. @AZN Is it a custom profile that you created? I remember setting up a custom profile once, named it accordingly, and started that profile creation process with "Linear Response", which would render things in my photos a little flatter than normal as a starting point... I don't see that one anymore on my machine, so I must have either deleted it or the later upgrades removed it...

Tommy.

There has been significant changes in all the Leica profiles since COne and Leica started working together on a few things (like tethered support).  However, the newer profiles all require using the latest upgrades to COne.  version 14.1, I think.  Their naming is confusing.  This is called Capture One 21.

(I think rather than have a version 13 and spook some people, they jumped at that point to Capture One 20.  But the release numbers on the software continued to increment by one.  I can understand this.  I used to live on the 14th floor of a 13 story building.)

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

4 hours ago, tommydom said:

Is it a custom profile that you created?

No.  If I did then I would have named it "Colour Corrected" 😃

Due to the spelling suspect it originated from a USA user.  But like I said, I cannot remember where I got it from.

Thank you very much to you all! :-)

@jaapv Yes you are right - why on earth did I switch? Ok, I am curious - I am open to new things - everyone says it's great - so I must / will try. :-) But you are right - it's not a very good reason for changing - "everyone" was never a good reason. Thanks for your honest words!

I think I will stay at Lightroom - but I still have 9 days to try CaptureOne - we will see!