Giving up Adobe Subscription

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In what way does using unsupported software endanger one's data? The only files I've lost over the last 30 years were those stored not in my computer but on two external hard disks. Both failed on the same day! Both were hardware failures caused by poor design. Most of the software that I use is out-of-date but still meets my needs. The only software I always keep up-to-date are my antivirus programme and my internet browser.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:22 PM, Exodies said:

The problem with old software isn’t whether it works or not it is that it is not supported. Running unsupported software is only ok if you don’t care about your data.

https://thehackernews.com/2019/10/adobe-database-leaked.html

"Unsecured Adobe Server Exposes Data for 7.5 Million Creative Cloud Users

The U.S. multinational computer software company Adobe has suffered a serious security breach earlier this month [Oct 2019] that exposed user records' database belonging to the company's popular Creative Cloud service ... accessible to anyone without any password or authentication."

On 6/11/2021 at 1:45 PM, roydonian said:

In what way does using unsupported software endanger one's data? The only files I've lost over the last 30 years were those stored not in my computer but on two external hard disks. Both failed on the same day! Both were hardware failures caused by poor design. Most of the software that I use is out-of-date but still meets my needs. The only software I always keep up-to-date are my antivirus programme and my internet browser.

Unsupported software is susceptible to having security flaws found and to corrupting data due to the environment it runs in being changed.

This is in addition to problems caused by insecurities in any service provider.

Like insurance, software updates are not about the past but the future.

Edited by Exodies
  • Like 1

To judge by postings in this forum, problems experienced when trying to run older software under a more recent operating system or on more recent hardware are something that particularly affects the Macintosh community. Wintel systems seem more robust - when I switched from a 32-bit computer to a 64-bit one, I hit a snag with only one minor item of existing software.

Keeping software up-to-date may fix existing security flaws, but the new version may introduce new ones. It may also add new features which an individual user may not want, or could find unacceptable. The only significant security breach I've had in the last 25 years was caused by an unwanted new feature in my antivirus software.

As a veteran computer user I assume that it may be impossible to keep an expert intruder out of my system, so rely on having a backup policy that can return the system to a clean condition, or even recreate that system on new hardware.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One specific problem with Adobe software is that, since online activation was brought in with CS, we require Adobe's permission for each installation. And now that the activation servers have been shut down for CS-CS4, there may be no way to install any version older than CS5. Adobe did provide activation-free installers for CS2 and CS3 (the latter for only a brief period, unadvertised) but these are no longer available and they haven't bothered providing one for CS4, which tells us all we need to know about the future of CS5, CS6 and LR6.

Perhaps Mac users are less bothered by this than Windows users, because current Macs won't run these old versions. On the other hand, if you do have an old Mac, you can't install the old version because of the activation policy, and you can't install the new version because it's incompatible, leaving you with no options at all. In the Windows world, CS3 at least still works well on Windows 10, and I assume CS4 does too, but since neither package can be activated, Adobe are depriving its customers of the working software they paid for. If a company is going to behave like this, it makes me reluctant to give them any more money for a subscription or anything else.

It's true that there are significant security issues with older Adobe sofware (Acrobat in particular is notorious for this), but it should be up to the customer to decide what they want to install, not to have the decision taken out of their hands by a huge corporation that also happens to be pushing subscriptions. CS was not cheap software, and it's not exactly prehistoric. CS4 was sold until 2010, with the most complete version priced at over £2300. Adobe have now made it worthless.

• Like 2

I went to YouTube today in order to view a video tutorial on Capture One. Recently, YouTube has adopted a policy of showing a video advert prior to running the video that you want to see (unless you know the  trick for circumventing this). So I wasn't surprised when a video advert started playing. What did surprise me was that the advert was for Lightroom. I wonder how much Adobe paid out to get this arrangement? If I was still evaluating raw processing programmes, I'd have regarded it as a factor against Adobe. If I want to learn more about a product, the last thing I need is to be force-fed an advert for a rival product.

3 hours ago, roydonian said:

I went to YouTube today in order to view a video tutorial on Capture One. Recently, YouTube has adopted a policy of showing a video advert prior to running the video that you want to see (unless you know the  trick for circumventing this). So I wasn't surprised when a video advert started playing. What did surprise me was that the advert was for Lightroom. I wonder how much Adobe paid out to get this arrangement? If I was still evaluating raw processing programmes, I'd have regarded it as a factor against Adobe. If I want to learn more about a product, the last thing I need is to be force-fed an advert for a rival product.

I’m not swayed by ads for my purchase decisions, but for me this would suggest less marketing savvy by Phase than Adobe to allow this to happen.

Jeff

16 hours ago, roydonian said:

It's probably a soulless algorithm that has given you this juxtaposition. Adobe has paid for adverts, and they are being matched to people whose video selections, previous searches, social media activity and and tracked browsing history etc. score highly enough to make them possible purchasers. For some products, your mobile phone location history will also be relevant. Take a look at uBlock Origin to block some of this stuff, including Youtube adverts. There are links to plugins for popular browsers here:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

7 minutes ago, roydonian said:

If it's an algorithm, it's not a very good one. The Youtube adverts most often displayed to this 78-year-old pensioner are for Peloton exercise bikes and second homes!

Take it as a compliment!

• Like 1