Zeiss Jena 35mm f2.8 Biogon, Leica screw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some time ago I bought one, then a second, 50mm f1.5 Zeiss Sonnars in Leica screw. With expertise from the Forum I learnt that the first was a genuine war-time example. The other I think is a Russian occupation period lens.

Today I received another purchase. A Zeiss Jena Biogon 35mm f2.8 in Leica screw. The question is when was it made? The serial number says 1938 but is that too early for a wartime screw version? though my occupation period Sonnar has a prewar serial number probably taken from an unused spare part front ring. The meter distance symbol is a small “m” which is good but the decimal point, as in 2.5 meters is a “.” rather than a “,” but I have seen pictures of others with a “.”

The lens comes with a good story. The seller says the it came from a collection discovered in a photographic studio in Alexandria Egypt that had been closed for 50 years.

The focus and diaphragm are smooth, but the glass needs a good clean.

Any advice, comments etc welcome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I fear, it is a Jupiter-12 in Zeiss Jena disguise - or a mixture between several lenses. As sabears already said the DOF-scale comes from a 1:2 lens. The front part of the lensmount also differs a lot from the original Biogon design. Here an example for the pre-war Biogon:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Biogon-2-8-3-5-cm-35-mm-fur-Contax-87933/154334820188?hash=item23ef12775c:g:JdEAAOSwDYJgLP18

Your example reminds me much more to the look of the early version of the Jupiter-12:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Jupiter-12-2-8-3-5cm-M39-LTM-5302287/154335967730?hash=item23ef23f9f2:g:9GEAAOSwhAJgLklM

P.S.: Engravings for Zeiss Jena lenses were not as consistent as for Leitz lenses. Though I am always sceptical if I find a 2-point-8 instead of a 2-comma-8 (same with 3-point-5 instead of 3-comma-5 cm), and if the 4 has a straight diagonal line and not a slightly bent one.  

Here is another example of the pre-war Biogon, the serial number close to your example:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/ZEISS-Biogon-35mm-f-2-8-fur-Contax-SNr-2392913/124454166687?hash=item1cfa0be09f:g:sH8AAOSwwyVfu9eF

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sabears said:

To me it was made from spare parts: look the lower, the  DOF scale is wrong! I guess this ring/part was from a 5cm. lens
What's the number engraved on rear lens? (it's on one side in the black anodized)

There is not a serial number on the rear part. Yes I realise now the DOF scale is wrong. So looks like it’s a mixture, but the top and bottom half’s fit together well.

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

I fear, it is a Jupiter-12 in Zeiss Jena disguise - or a mixture between several lenses. As sabears already said the DOF-scale comes from a 1:2 lens. The front part of the lensmount also differs a lot from the original Biogon design. Here an example for the pre-war Biogon:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Biogon-2-8-3-5-cm-35-mm-fur-Contax-87933/154334820188?hash=item23ef12775c:g:JdEAAOSwDYJgLP18

Your example reminds me much more to the look of the early version of the Jupiter-12:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Jupiter-12-2-8-3-5cm-M39-LTM-5302287/154335967730?hash=item23ef23f9f2:g:9GEAAOSwhAJgLklM

P.S.: Engravings for Zeiss Jena lenses were not as consistent as for Leitz lenses. Though I am always sceptical if I find a 2-point-8 instead of a 2-comma-8 (same with 3-point-5 instead of 3-comma-5 cm), and if the 4 has a straight diagonal line and not a slightly bent one.  

Here is another example of the pre-war Biogon, the serial number close to your example:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/ZEISS-Biogon-35mm-f-2-8-fur-Contax-SNr-2392913/124454166687?hash=item1cfa0be09f:g:sH8AAOSwwyVfu9eF

Thank you for the links and comments.

i found this similar lens https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Biogon-35mm-f-2-8-T-Original-Leica-L39-Screw-Mount/193799808330?hash=item2d1f5e654a:g:~wcAAOSwhf1gFD-b

The engraving style on mine looks a bit more Zeiss than Jupiter. I would like to think that it is an early Russian occupation period lens put together from parts that were available at the time ?

I didn’t pay much more than the price of a regular Jupiter.

I just had to write this again as the system logged me out while I was in the middle of writing and I lost what I had written !

According to www.zeisscamera.com, the red T was introduced on Zeiss lenses shortly before the end of the war.  The serial number (1938) and the red T (~1944) would seem to be incompatible.  Perhaps, as with Leitz, serial numbers were reserved for specific products.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread reminds me that at the very beginning of my use of a Leica IIIc - in 1949! -, I had no money enough to buy Leica lenses, and very much enjoyed both the 2/50mm Zeiss Sonnar and Dutch Old Delft Minor 3,5/35mm. And when I check the quality of the images they delivered then, I frankly do not quote a significant difference with the ones I made later with the Summicron 50, Elmar or Summaron 35.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken a few pictures with the lens. Negatives are fairly sharp but very low contrast, similar to those from a couple of early black and nickel Contax Tessar lenses I have. I removed the front lens unit and was able to clean the surfaces either side of the diaphragm but the worst surface seems to be the front.

This is a copy of a darkroom print I made today, the contrast had to be turned up to the maximum on my Durst enlarger colour head. I need to try the lens out again on a nice bright day with crisp lighting.

The results from my postwar 1:2.8/35mm Biogon are in no way "muddy" or lacking in definition. I' d say it is a good as a 1:2.8/35mm Summaron. Of course the postwar coating helps - though what I have seen from other Zeiss lenses the differences between coated and uncoated versions are not as obvious as for similar Leitz lenses. As with other Bertele designs the Biogon uses quite a number of cemented lenses to reduce the loss of contrast between glass and air. 

• Like 1

Another print from my lens. Bright sunshine this time, which helps. On my Leica 1c, Pan F in Perceptol.

The SN of your lens is from the same block as my Carl Zeiss Jena 3.5cm F2.8 in Contax mount, mine is also a "T" coated lens.

My 1952 Jupiter-12 has the Zeiss SN stamped on the rear group, and the barrel is the same as my Contax mount lens. It is a Zeiss barrel in a Russian made focus mount.

I can swap the barrel between the two- and would give something that looks like yours. Chances are, your lens was brought to Russia and an LTM focus mount made for it. Either it was a complete lens brought back for conversion, or it was not completed- may never know. It performs well, It has an interesting history. It is one of a kind.

Edited by BrianS
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Some more pictures taken with the Biogon. This time on Rollei 400 infrared, which seems to suit the lens and give extra character. The camera was a Leica Standard, the same vintage as the lens.

Copies of darkroom prints.

• Like 1