Advertisement (gone after registration)

I actually use it for the 28. it was designed to accommodate the M8 so it has frame lines for the 28 inside the 21 frame lines allowing you to see outside the frame much like the built in viewfinder.

Very interesting article. I just went through weeks of agony deciding between the 28 and 35. As a mostly 35 mm user (like 90%) when it came time to upgrade my 35 mm Summicron (Type IV) I decided to save $1,200 and go with a new 28 mm Elmarit Asph. After 25 years with this cron, the 35 was as comfortable as an old pair of boots or well worn jeans. And this particular type IV was my fourth Leica 35 mm lens, so it was really more like 50 years of using 35 mm lenses on M cameras. But that was the problem. I had gotten lazy. I knew exactly what the photo would look like before even raising the camera to my eye... which was making my work predictable. Perhaps even boring. 

Moving to 28 changed this, but in a way I didn't expect. After a few days with the new 28 as a body cap, I found myself mounting a 50 mm lens and keeping the 28 in the bag or my pocket in case I needed a wider view. Where before I seemed to be able to do everything with a 35/75 Summicron combo, now I'm lugging a slightly lighter 28/50 combo and walking in a few steps closer. I must confess, I'm liking the results so far. But I do reserve the right to change back to 35/75 when the rumored 35 APO Summicron M becomes available... that is if Leica puts a reasonable price tag on this new glass. Reasonable? Leica? Yeah right. Did I say how much I like the image quality and size of my new 28 Elmarit Asph?

7 hours ago, Printmaker said:

which was making my work predictable. Perhaps even boring. 

Interesting thought. Maybe that's why I'm so in love with my newly acquired 28 Lux too. 

I actually love it so much that I want to add another 28 to my kit now, to have a compact alternative to the lux. I'm hesitating between the Summaron and the elmarit. 

37 minutes ago, Steven said:

Interesting thought. Maybe that's why I'm so in love with my newly acquired 28 Lux too. 

I actually love it so much that I want to add another 28 to my kit now, to have a compact alternative to the lux. I'm hesitating between the Summaron and the elmarit. 

Infinity rendering - landscape photos --> Elmarit ASPH

All other situations I'm really impressed by Cron. Small, sharp, very nice smooth rendering.

6 hours ago, Steven said:

I love my little Summaron for urban/cityscape walks. I shoot it ‘wide open’ @ 5.6 (and auto-shutter, auto-ISO) almost all the time.

Most of the recent images on my Flickr photostream are from the Summaron: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jslabovitz/

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Cobram said:

Infinity rendering - landscape photos --> Elmarit ASPH

All other situations I'm really impressed by Cron. Small, sharp, very nice smooth rendering.

The cron is too close to my Lux. Its the elmarit or the summarom for me for a second lens. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By samlee.hk
      I got a Light Lens Lab v2LC 35mm f2 Summicron Copy last week
      Overall, the Lenses share similar tone to Leica Summicrion 35/2, with good enough micro contrast, sharp in a relative cheap price level. 
      I like using color pic more than BW pic when using v2LC. 
      For me, the main difference between Leica Summicron , which can provide a more rich image texture and 3D rendering. But Light lens Labs 35/2 did a good job at this price level. 

Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP Vision3 500T film Preset 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP K64 Film Preset

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP Vision3 200T film Preset 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP K64 Film Preset

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, LR10.2, Nik Sliver Efex2

For More PIC and reviews , Please read :

Light Lens Lab v2LC Summicron 35mm f2
    • By Julius Yls
      Sharing my short blog about taking Leica ME and Elmarit 28mm across Arctic circle in the middle of winter. Hope you all enjoy it 
      https://juliusyls.com/blog/2020/12/15/across-arctic-circle-with-28mm-elmarit

• By Francesco1993
      Hey guys, I’ve just purchased this lens for a good price. To make the long story short, it has some bubbles on the back element. I don’t have now the possibility to shoot on a digital camera but I will wait the results of my films soon. 
      do you know what those bubbles are?
      I think that I will send this lens to a repair center ASAP.

• By Peter K
      I have a question about choosing the right 28 mm M lens for landscape photography. If it has been asked in other posts already, I apologise in advance.
      Background
      I have decided to buy a 28mm for my M240. It will be used for landscape photography almost exclusively.
      For the first time in my life, I am leaning towards an Elmarit ASPH. However, I always have this nagging inner voice telling me, that Summilux and Summicron are the only ways to go no matter the situation.
      So before buying, I want to make sure that I will not be compromising on any key aspects important to me with an Elmarit. And since I live in a place where trying different lenses before buying is not an easy alternative, I turn to all you skilled Leica experts in here for advice.
      My needs
      I will be shooting at apertures between f/8 - f/11 most of the time. And I will only rarely be focusing on objects very close. So I am not that concerned about bokeh (which I guess is not that relevant for a wide-angle lens anyway).
      The same thing goes for color rendering, since I’m shooting digital and will be postprocessing the RAW files anyway.
      However, I am very interested in achieving good sharpness from corner to corner. And I am also concerned about the handling of lens flare.
      Question
      Do you think the Elmarit ASPH will be the right choice for my purpose? Or will the 28mm Cron or Lux in any of their incarnations perform noticeably better under the above circumstances?
      Reading lots of reviews, both the Cron and the Lux obviously outperforms the Elmarit for low light situations. But will there be differences in image quality, sharpness and flare handling when stopping down to f/8 - f/11?
      Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks!
      - Peter.
    • By Roger Vorbeck
      Got my first ever Leica M body last year. It's a M2. It came bundled with a Summicron 50mm F2 Collapsible. I'm really enjoying this combo, but I'm a 35mm shooter.
      I've found a Summaron 35mm 3.5 for sale in my country, for a decent price. It's serial number is the following: 1176436.
      However, I know that users have trouble defining their lens models, because they were produced in a large numbers.
      I've checked this one's number on a lot of different sources and foruns, but I failed on identifying it.
      The weird part is that checking through this website: https://reddotcamera.net/leica/serial-number-tool/ and in this page: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summaron_f%3D_3.5_cm_1:3.5
      The information I have is that this lens is identified as a Summicron 50mm f/2, build in the year 1954 and a Summicron 5 cm 1:2 (M), respectively.
      Why is that? Has anyone here ever seen one of these? I wanted this to be the M2 version (to activate the 35mm framelines) but I have no clue what this all means.
      Any guesses are welcome.
      Thanks!