My new M10 ...

colonel

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

Super congrats. It's a beautiful and amazing camera. 

Do you like it coupled with your 35 Nokton Classic? Is your favorite 35?

Yes it’s the Version ii MC

it is light and lovely to use, with nice colours. Slightly soft wide open but very usable, it gets pretty sharp up the range if never quite biting. I prefer super sharp 50mm and more classic at 35mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had my M10s since launch, and despite the improvements in the newer iterations I’m still not persuaded I need to make a change. A future model with IBIS? A future model with EVF? Better latitude? Higher MP? As I now have the SL2 and only plan to use my Ms mainly with the lenses I think work best on them (28 / 35 / 50), I could still have my M10s into the next decade!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 6

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

I’ve had my M10s since launch, and despite the improvements in the newer iterations I’m still not persuaded I need to make a change. A future model with IBIS? A future model with EVF? Better latitude? Higher MP? As I now have the SL2 and only plan to use my Ms mainly with the lenses I think work best on them (28 / 35 / 50), I could still have my M10s into the next decade!

That makes sense to me, though I must say that I'd be interested in an M11 with 24 MP,  if it took the path of the SL2-S. Not for video, but for dealing with highlights. I'm thinking about the degree to which one has to underexpose with the M10 when shooting into the light or with strong sidelight, sometimes as much as 2 stops. It seems to me that, compared to the M10-R for example, the overall the dynamic range of the M10 is the same, or even a smidgeon greater; but the distribution of the DR is weighted more to shadows than to highlights. That is, I believe, what makes people say that the DR of the M10-R "better".

In other words, I would prefer if Leica had applied a different, flatter, contrast curve to the M10 DNGs — possibly that could be done in a firmware upgrade, although highly unlikely. But in a new M11, I would expect this issue would be solved and could  make the highlight treatment more like shooting negative film. Until then, I think the M10 is great.

2 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

That makes sense to me, though I must say that I'd be interested in an M11 with 24 MP,  if it took the path of the SL2-S. Not for video, but for dealing with highlights. I'm thinking about the degree to which one has to underexpose with the M10 when shooting into the light or with strong sidelight, sometimes as much as 2 stops. It seems to me that, compared to the M10-R for example, the overall the dynamic range of the M10 is the same, or even a smidgeon greater; but the distribution of the DR is weighted more to shadows than to highlights. That is, I believe, what makes people say that the DR of the M10-R "better".

In other words, I would prefer if Leica had applied a different, flatter, contrast curve to the M10 DNGs — possibly that could be done in a firmware upgrade, although highly unlikely. But in a new M11, I would expect this issue would be solved and could  make the highlight treatment more like shooting negative film. Until then, I think the M10 is great.

The point is whether to freeze one line at 24mp but improve DR, colour depth, ISO, etc.

I think this is sensible. Faster speeds are needed with higher resolution to keep pixel level sharpness. If you loose this at 41mp, you might as well have had 24mp.

I would support the "lower" res version creeping up over the years, e.g. 30mp, 35mp, etc. as this will fit in with sensor tech and computer speed evolution anyway.

This would allow the R model to not have to do multiple jobs and jump to 60 or higher

Very nice ramble! Of all your images, which by the way were all nice, I paused longest at your ‘pointless” image. I love sunstars too😁 Thank you for the comparison, I had a 240 and sold it a few months ago and I am now contemplating an M10 or more likely the M10-P or even an R.

• Like 1

I know it's easy to think of the M10 as a jewel, but I force myself to think of it as a tool, nothing more.  It's not "the end"; it's the means to "the end".  If the photos don't work, it's all on me, not the camera.  And when the photos work, they are best I can capture with any of my existing camera gear.  My lenses all date back to the 1980's, which is good and bad.  I have no complaints about anything, other than that I have to force myself to do my very best, to get the best use of the M10.

I love your photos, especially the butcher shop!  We ain't got nuthin' like that here in Miami, Florida!  

Back in school, I was taught that the camera, to me, is nothing more or less than a wrench, to a mechanic - in those exact words.  I've also got Nikon DSLR camera with more controls and settings than a computer.  With the Leica, it's about getting the picture, not going through a gazillion settings to find something suitable.  I also love my M8.2, but somehow I almost always do better with the M10.

I try, as hard as I can, to NOT think about the camera, and only think about the image I am trying to capture.  My DSLR has too many distractions.  My M10 is more like a direct link between my brain and the picture I'm trying to record.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 12:10 AM, colonel said:

Ok, its taken 4 years to upgrade, but I fly at Leica speed without gas (ahem)

This isn't a review, there are zillions of them, its just a ramble through this lovely camera as I have too much time inside at the moment :(

I thought that I didn't need to upgrade from my MP-240, a long line of 240s, M9s, and M8s. Although Leica purists complain about the size, its still a very small FF camera, and better to hold my silly 0.95 and 1.2 lenses on.

Well taking the M10 out of the box is an experience, I thought they had sent me an M6 by mistake. It seems tiny compared to the 240, although in truth it isn't, only a few mm thinner, however it seems to exude a compact presence somehow. Some folk dislike using the word jewellery about a piece of photographic equipment, but come on guys ;)

Chocolates - Natural colours with a hint of Kodachrome under light stress

It feels wonderful of course and everything has been refined. The 240 series introduced the bullet proof digital rangefinder. I had many M9s and often them arrived out of alignment, some had corroded sensor glass and all were picky with SD cards, but never never had any issue on any 240. I don't know what they did to the RF, but it was more then a drop of acetate, an evolution in the right direction.

Love for sale - 3200 has little noise but nicely filmic

The M10 adds to the 240 a further sense of refinement across pretty much everything. The buttons seems slightly more sturdy, the screen's higher resolution and image window closer to the edge and the 0.73 OVF magnification is great. I can take or leave the ISO dial and the shutter is shorter, but not quieter (I think). I like a shutter noise but a quiet mode is great for the P folk, whether leaf or electronic.

The sensor definitely top and tails with more dynamic range and I like the 2 stop of noise improvement. ISO 3200 is wonderfully organic and has very little noise considering.

OK, pointless picture, but I love sunstars :D 

It it worth 65% more then a M240 ? As a good value base (especially taking into account resale values), a used 240 takes some beating. Its a wonderful camera and the M10 on its own is not going to take better pictures, and yes, it could be the price of a few lenses.

Getting to the meat of things

IMHO if you have the money do it. What price edging closer to perfection ?

Colonel. is this still Mill Hill Broadway?

2 minutes ago, colonel said:

This is actually Hampstead

rgds

Ah, ok.....thanks!

Very nice though, wherever it is. 

Noting MikeMeyer's comments about the butchers shops and how there's none now in his neck of the woods, ( unless inside a Supermarket I guess ), that's a loss but sadly more a way of the world now. Where I am now this small medieval town of less than 1.5K people we've five butcher's shops. I'd be spoilt for choice if I wasn't 85% of the way to being a vegetarian these days !

Cheers

8 hours ago, colonel said:

The latest 26 or so 

https://www.fluidr.com/photos/haroldmiller

Rgds

Harold - SO nice to have a walk around my bit of London!  As a result of the pandemic I've spent the last year up in Kendal - not a bad place to be at all, but I do miss Camden.  On another matter, I love your use of 35mm.  The Voigtlander clearly holds up well and for street it's such a great focal length. I've been using the SL2 as the main tool for the last 6 months as it's suited the landscape oriented work I've been doing.  I look forward to getting back to contexts where RF and 35mm will make more sense. 

• Like 1