The American

HuntingSand

57 minutes ago, HuntingSand said:

Thanks Louis, I do. Have to be careful with the shutter speeds when the 55/135 is mounted, though.

These TL zooms although great are very slow. The setting I have on my CL is auto ISO with  maximum 3200 ISO. So, I don’t have to worry too much when using slow lenses. As my priority is on “A”, the camera always chooses the best speed.

• Thanks 1

vor 57 Minuten schrieb Louis:

These TL zooms although great are very slow. The setting I have on my CL is auto ISO with  maximum 3200 ISO. So, I don’t have to worry too much when using slow lenses. As my priority is on “A”, the camera always chooses the best speed.

I just checked in Auto ISO settings what my minimum speed setting was (in the range between 100 and 3200, same as you). It was set to 1/60th of a second, which is way too slow, so I just set it to 1/250, we'll see how that turns out.  I had a couple of shaky images recently, wasn't happy about it, but I think that should solve it, even if that means the ISO increases. I can mitigate noise in post, but not camera / lens shake. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, HuntingSand said:

I just checked in Auto ISO settings what my minimum speed setting was (in the range between 100 and 3200, same as you). It was set to 1/60th of a second, which is way too slow, so I just set it to 1/250, we'll see how that turns out.  I had a couple of shaky images recently, wasn't happy about it, but I think that should solve it, even if that means the ISO increases. I can mitigate noise in post, but not camera / lens shake. 

Why do you set in shutter speed priority? I think it works better with Aperture priority , so you can control the bokeh. The camera would choose the speed that is the best.

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Louis:

Why do you set in shutter speed priority? I think it works better with Aperture priority , so you can control the bokeh. The camera would choose the speed that is the best.

I have it in A mode almost permanently (especially useful with the 35 Lux of course), so that's where the Auto ISO/min shutter speed setting comes into play (unless I'm missing something). Anyway, the technique to holding the CL with a longer lens steady is different from using my S system, that is a beast which - more or less - rests in itself. 

Edited by HuntingSand

• 1 month later...

I keep coming back to look at this image. To me, the beautiful use of light and shadow combined with strong color and an interesting subject make this reminiscent of the Kodachrome shots published in National Geographic a few decades ago. 

• Like 1

Am 27.3.2021 um 06:12 schrieb fotografr:

I keep coming back to look at this image. To me, the beautiful use of light and shadow combined with strong color and an interesting subject make this reminiscent of the Kodachrome shots published in National Geographic a few decades ago. 

Thank you kindly. I am advanced in years, so for better or worse, I have my own Kodachrome 25/64 history, on a Leica R4 and the Nikon F3HP. Punchiness of colors was never its weak spot, especially the reds, which - sort of - bookend the image posted here (upper left, lower right). 

• Like 1