Where do you buy your film (Kodak)?

Patrik

6 hours ago, Patrik said:

Should be an "ok" price, but would need to shop when next time in NY to make sense.

They wanted to charge me ﹩73 in shipping a soft release...

I bought a bunch of other stuff at that totaled slightly less than $200 so I must have met the free shipping threshold.  Not sure how they international shipping charges.  

I buy in the U.K. from wherever I can find it cheapest to be honest. I do prefer Tri-X to HP5 but it’s a lot more expensive.

I also like Portra 400 and the price just climbs constantly.  I started looking at Gold & Ultramax but these are becoming almost as expensive as P400 nowadays. 

Given how popular film is becoming one wonders at the manufacturers increasing costs in all this and how it will affect the popularity of film going forward. 

7 hours ago, Patrik said:

Was in the B&H store when in NY 2 yrs ago, stupidly only bought a battery for my Q. The sales guy asked if I was sure that was the only thing I was after, learned that the hard way...

👍🏻

I hope it was not rip-off battery. :) .

10 hours ago, Patrik said:

Should be an "ok" price, but would need to shop when next time in NY to make sense.

They wanted to charge me ﹩73 in shipping a soft release...

Actually you do better buying from B&H and shipping to  you. No tax as far as I know, and if its over a certain amount, no shipping. I live in NYC so they have to charge me sales tax (though they have some card that gets around it) but no shipping for over $50. Basically I am paid not to spend time going to the store for things I know -- like film, developer, etc. 

8 hours ago, sblitz said:

Actually you do better buying from B&H and shipping to  you. No tax as far as I know, and if its over a certain amount, no shipping. I live in NYC so they have to charge me sales tax (though they have some card that gets around it) but no shipping for over $50. Basically I am paid not to spend time going to the store for things I know -- like film, developer, etc. 

Importing to EU would mean import tax and vat on top so prob still better to buy instore. But would love to hear from an EU buyer having bought from B&H. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can't comment on color film, but Photografica.com in Copenhagen sell 30.5m Ilford HP5+ for DKK 599. That is around DKK 35 per film if you roll your own. Kodak Tri-X is almost twice as much but worth less (IMO).

According to EU rules, companies has to charge receiving country VAT (at least if they follow the rules), so Fotoimpex should charge Swedish VAT. For example, if you buy from Amazon.de, your final check-out price will be higher than the price presented to you on their website.

UK is non-EU now and import fees will apply which makes that a pretty poor proposition.

Edited by nitroplait

Interesting articles about film use for motion pictures;

https://filmmakermagazine.com/107353-23-films-35mm-released-in-2018/#.YDphT9ynxPY

https://filmmakermagazine.com/105050-31-films-shot-on-35mm-released-in-2017/#.YDph2tynxPY

Of course not many films are being shot right now on film or digital!

Edited by earleygallery

15 hours ago, nitroplait said:

Really! Which kind of art directors asks for film photography these days?

I just use film or offer it as an extra service. For corporates sometimes I take film photos that they use on social media (pictures of staff laughing, nature...). And I use film in studio for child photography and for wedding like a bonus.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 10:28 AM, Mikko Kankainen said:

I buy usually from here:

https://www.retrocamera.be/en/

Live in Finland, also run a photography business so I can buy VAT 0%. I use film for work also..

Also recommending this, especially if you're in Netherlands or Belgium. Free shipping for orders >100€ and prices competitive with the "staples" of macodirect and fotoimpex, especially when you factor in shipping.

Also it has the best prices bar none, by a noticeable margin, for Fuji chemicals. ~65€ for 5L of C-41 chemistry (full 6-bath kit), and ~85€ for 5L of E-6. Might have to do with the fact that this Fuji chemistry is actually produced in Belgium.

• Like 1