Leica CL-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

My Leica store said that it was initially planned for April. But now probably postponed until November. 
Leica decided to focus on promoting SL2 and SL2-S instead. 
They think that SL2-S did not have its momentum yet. Due to pandemic. 

But the CL is a different market segment from the SL for Leica..  I looking forward to the CL2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a (US-based) store taking pre-orders for the C2, even unofficially?   I love my CL but I'm chomping at the bit to get a new body with some degree of weather protection and whatever other upgrades Leica thoughtfully add to the product.  Yes, I'm aware the lenses are not weatherproof but you've gotta start someplace...

The latest rumor is that the M11 will surface late this year. 11/11/2021 is the predicted launch date according to Leica Rumors. To avoid distracting from that launch, Leica would need to get the CL2 into the market by May at the latest, or wait for spring 2022.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I wish they would get on with it - I am really looking to pick up a second CL at rock bottom price...

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I wish they would get on with it - I am really looking to pick up a second CL at rock bottom price...

Jaap, at a stroke you have convinced many forum members that their Leica CLs are worth keeping  🤩🤩

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Marac said:

When the CL2 comes out, my 'old CL' will be converted to monochrome or even IR.

Please let us know who did the job for you and how pleased you are with the result, if and when it happens.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wda said:

Please let us know who did the job for you and how pleased you are with the result, if and when it happens.

IR conversion will be done by Advanced Camera Services in Norfolk UK

they do not do the mono conversion so I'd have to explore other options IF I decide to go the mono route.

I'll be sure to let you know how it all works out. ACS are excellent for the IR conversion, had many cameras done by them and all of them were excellent.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 2:49 PM, nicci78 said:

My Leica store said that it was initially planned for April. But now probably postponed until November. 
Leica decided to focus on promoting SL2 and SL2-S instead. 
They think that SL2-S did not have its momentum yet. Due to pandemic. 

While it might be one factor, I’m not sure the SL2-S struggling to find its momentum is entirely due to the pandemic. I probably fall within the target market for the SL2-S, but did not purchase. The redesigned body of the SL2 / SL2-S being a big step backward from the original SL, with its practical 4 button layout and solid (all aluminum) unibody construction. The SL2 / SL2-S also lacks small yet critical features such as the PC sync terminal. (Others have also stated they find the GPS on the original very useful.) The improved low light and video specs of the SL2-S alone are not enough of an incentive to overcome the compromised redesign and construction of the SL2 / SL2-S body. If considering to keep the original SL as a second body / backup, it’s also not appealing to switch between two camera bodies (from the same model line) with different control layouts. Especially when the newer camera is worse than the old in that regard. The incremental improvement to image quality / performance in low light and video is not substantial enough to make me want to give up the all the pros of the superior SL body. The original SL still delivers in terms of IQ, so I choose to stick with the better body.

In light of the above I find myself taking a little more interest in what cameras like the CL2 may have to offer. If it fits purpose, it might be a good alternative or stop-gap until a more appealing camera and worthy successor to the original SL is released. The original SL was such a confident and bold start to a new professional full frame mirrorless camera system. They got so much right with that camera on the first try. Hopefully there will be a return to form.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J12 said:

While it might be one factor, I’m not sure the SL2-S struggling to find its momentum is entirely due to the pandemic. I probably fall within the target market for the SL2-S, but did not purchase. The redesigned body of the SL2 / SL2-S being a big step backward from the original SL, with its practical 4 button layout and solid (all aluminum) unibody construction (they look close enough to make no difference to me and feel much the same in the hand). The SL2 / SL2-S also lacks small yet critical features such as the PC sync terminal (never used one). (Others have also stated they find the GPS on the original very useful (never used it).) The improved low light and video specs of the SL2-S alone are not enough of an incentive to overcome the compromised redesign and construction of the SL2 / SL2-S body (the changes were enough for me to sell the SL for the SL2, and then sell the SL2 for the SL2-S). If considering to keep the original SL as a second body / backup, it’s also not appealing to switch between two camera bodies (from the same model line) with different control layouts (I have never had an identical backup or second body in my life). Especially when the newer camera is worse than the old in that regard (I think it's better). The incremental improvement to image quality / performance in low light and video is not substantial enough to make me want to give up the all the pros of the superior SL body (AFAIC the improvements in the SL2-S are major, not incremental). The original SL still delivers in terms of IQ, so I choose to stick with the better body.

In light of the above I find myself taking a little more interest in what cameras like the CL2 may have to offer. If it fits purpose, it might be a good alternative or stop-gap until a more appealing camera and worthy successor to the original SL is released. The original SL was such a confident and bold start to a new professional full frame mirrorless camera system. They got so much right with that camera on the first try. Hopefully there will be a return to form.

I have inserted my responses in your text above not to be contradictory, offensive or to say you are wrong, but just to show how unsafe it is to make assumptions about causes of market performance based on one's own personal usage and preferences. FWIW I have no idea whether other photographers have the same opinions as me or take the same view of the SL2-S - I can only speak for myself.

• Like 2

Another mistake is to take one's own impressions and superimpose them on the market expectations of Leica when developing the camera and then searching for reasons that those assumptions are not met. Nobody knows how many cameras Leica planned to sell and how many they are selling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have inserted my responses in your text above not to be contradictory, offensive or to say you are wrong, but just to show how unsafe it is to make assumptions about causes of market performance based on one's own personal usage and preferences. FWIW I have no idea whether other photographers have the same opinions as me or take the same view of the SL2-S - I can only speak for myself.

No offense taken, and thank you for the response. I understand and accept we all have different expectations and experiences. Even when it comes to the same product. It’s good to hear them all.

Apologies for drifting off topic. Please carry on the CL2 discussion.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 6:24 PM, wda said:

Jaap, at a stroke you have convinced many forum members that their Leica CLs are worth keeping  🤩🤩

Haha.. not sure many of us needed convincing anyway.

As someone who was always a big fan of @tritentrueboth his  knowledge and wonderful bird imagery, I regularly check out his blog.  

Whether I'm disappointed or just hoping he's had bad information I don't know, but he seems convinced there won't be a CL2.  

Could it be that Leica have decided enough is enough for them with APS-C.  Many Leica users (me anyway) see one of the CL's biggest attractions is as a small lightweight EVF body for M lenses, as such there's probably a small market for it in it's current state, I would absolutely replace mine if something happened to it.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 3

If Leica does continue the APS line it would be propitious to upgrade the specifications of the CL, especially considering its price.

A significant EVF upgrade, new sensor and perhaps weather sealing would be very straightforward upgrades without any radical re-design as something like IBIS would entail.

I am hanging on to my 18-56 Vario-Elmar from my previous TL2 in anticipation.

If the CL2 (or upgraded "CL") doesn't come out, and the new rumored EVF for the rumored M11 works on the TL2, then I will buy that set-up to complement my M10..

https://www.fnac.com/SearchResult/ResultList.aspx?Search=leica+cl&SCat=0!1&sft=1&sa=1

Does french FNAC give us the CL2 release date ? 
Preorder available in April 28th 2021 at the same price 2490€  
Or is it just a glitch, because no mention of CL2. Just CL. 
However it is a quite mysterious to list a preorder for CL when the CL is also available right now. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

https://www.fnac.com/SearchResult/ResultList.aspx?Search=leica+cl&SCat=0!1&sft=1&sa=1

Does french FNAC give us the CL2 release date ? 
Preorder available in April 28th 2021 at the same price 2490€  
Or is it just a glitch, because no mention of CL2. Just CL. 
However it is a quite mysterious to list a preorder for CL when the CL is also available right now. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Could this just be a different body finish, think a CL2 would have had a bit more of an announcement given we are only ten days from that date, mysterious indeed.

Edited by Boojay