Leica CL-2

If Leica could design the CL2 as a tiny S. It would be awesome. 
Like that. You have grip with class. 

S cameras are the best looking and have the best ergonomics among all Leicas with the M series IMHO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

S cameras are the best looking and have the best ergonomics among all Leicas with the M series IMHO

One person’s good looking is another person’s trodden in dog turd...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, rob_w said:

Agree with this completely.  It is what I would like to see in the next CL2 assuming there is one.

Until the SL, I don't recall that Leica ever favoured a built-in handgrip in any of their designs, however.*  Not sure why not - perhaps they view the design without a grip as more 'pure' and giving more options for customers (since a grip can be omitted or added).  Same as they do not favour tilt/turn back screen displays, I would guess.

*The R8/R9 had a bulge but not really a grip, as does the S.  Have I missed any other examples?

The SL series all have built-in grips.

A small grip a-la-Fuji could fit i guess although beauty is not its forte but that big Sony thing, thanks no thanks. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

55 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Like a Leica/Lumix V Lux?

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

its the only one I dont like 

• Like 2

I have absolutely no interest in a tiny S. It would destroy the original concept of a small M. I have two Ms as a matter of fact which I seldom use since purchasing my CL. LEAVE the basic design alone!  Dan

Ha ha I also love the CL design. But since Leica teased us before the launch of the SL as being a tiny S. I was excited to see that. But huge deception, the SL were ugly as an unfinished industrial tool. Nothing near the S. 

Same awkward moment after Leica teasing the X Vario as a being a mini M. Which it was not obviously 

Since then I am still waiting for my mini S  

Edited by nicci78

I could go for a "slightly" larger CL2.  Probably in the realm of Q, not M size.  Shape, I expect they'll retain the form that resembles M more than SL.  Could they bump out a grip, say like the TL, maybe ... but again, I think they'll stick to the M/Q shape.  I wouldn't mind if they could put some "relief" on the edges though.  The CL kinda cuts into my hand, with its small size and edges.  Larger size might change the purchase / grip to relieve it a bit, though.  Some form of wrap / texture would be okay too.  It always seemed a bit "slick" to try and hold.  If the CL2 is slick texture ... DIY texture might be in the cards.

Either way, I just hope the new sensor has the same IQ (or better) as the CL.  I love the files in the CL, and I love the shutter release.  Layout is pretty sweet too with the button inside the dials.  My only real "wish" for the CL is IBIS (for my 55-135), and an improved grip experience (texture, size or shape).  Everything else is gravy. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RustyBug said:

I could go for a "slightly" larger CL2.  Probably in the realm of Q, not M size.  Shape, I expect they'll retain the form that resembles M more than SL.  Could they bump out a grip, say like the TL, maybe ... but again, I think they'll stick to the M/Q shape.  I wouldn't mind if they could put some "relief" on the edges though.  The CL kinda cuts into my hand, with its small size and edges.  Larger size might change the purchase / grip to relieve it a bit, though.  Some form of wrap / texture would be okay too.  It always seemed a bit "slick" to try and hold.  If the CL2 is slick texture ... DIY texture might be in the cards.

Either way, I just hope the new sensor has the same IQ (or better) as the CL.  I love the files in the CL, and I love the shutter release.  Layout is pretty sweet too with the button inside the dials.  My only real "wish" for the CL is IBIS (for my 55-135), and an improved grip experience (texture, size or shape).  Everything else is gravy. 😉

Have you tried the Lim's case, has a built in grip, battery access and a bonus acra-swiss dove tail for tripod mounting if needed??

• Like 1

Ye

18 hours ago, thedruid said:

Have you tried the Lim's case, has a built in grip, battery access and a bonus acra-swiss dove tail for tripod mounting if needed??

Haven't tried the Lim's case ... but, have looked at it as a possible case.  If the CL2 retains the same size, then I'll likely use a case for it.  If it "grows" a bit, I may / may not use a case ???

I've recently sold my CL ... in preps to funding the CL2, so I didn't invest in a case for it, yet.

Edited by RustyBug
Added info

I have considered the Arte di Mano Aventino half case at times with the grip and battery/card slot at the bottom. Exquisite case but I passed because I simply didn't want to spend that kind of money on a case. Wound up picking up on of the black Leica protector cases which I like better because it hides the red dot (LOL) but I rarely use it.

• 4 weeks later...

My Leica store said that it was initially planned for April. But now probably postponed until November. 
Leica decided to focus on promoting SL2 and SL2-S instead. 
They think that SL2-S did not have its momentum yet. Due to pandemic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1