Leica CL-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, yggdra.omega said:

I am excited for the prospect of a higher performing APSC Leica. I’ve got great M glass, an 18mm TL, and a 24-90SL in the mail. I’d love to get more into the CL / TL system, especially if the rumored CL2 shares the same SL/SL2/Q2 battery.

With your declared desires, I am puzzled why you have a big and heavy full-frame zoom on its way to you.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  Kay.

If anyone does know, he or she will be bound by non-disclosure agreements. All we can assume, from available information, (see dedicated thread), is that there are good grounds for beliving that a new model, possibly CL2, could be announced this Spring. Cyclically that would be the expected timing.

7 hours ago, nicci78 said:

We can all agree that   
- digital telecentric lens is bigger than film one.  
- battery + sensor + IBIS + motherboard are bigger than a film cassette. 
- AF lens is bigger than MF one. 
- APS-C sensor are already better than 24x36 film. 

So realistically a digital full frame CL with the same size as analog full frame may be feasible without shutter mechanism. À la Sigma fp. 
But we may never see an AF Summicron full frame 40mm f/2 as small as old manual Summicron-C 2/40mm of original CL. 

Don't count me in please :cool:A lens made or adapted for digital can be as compact as a "film" one nowadays, see the latest CV 21/3.5, 35/2 and 35/1.4 v2 for instance. None of them have red edge issues on digital but all are as compact or even smaller that their Leica M counterparts. AF is another story but TL lenses are what they are and won't need more room than on the current CL already. Remains IBIS but i'm not after an obese CL with a vibro sensor personally ;). As for APS-C being "better" than 24x36 i could agree if you meant 18x24 but 24x36 is full frame and can hardly be compared to crop formats IMHO. YMMV.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, lct said:

You mean between monstrous FF and not-so-compact APS bodies? ;) Remember how tiny the film CL was. I wish Leica was able to do the same in the digital world.

No, between a presumed slightly larger CL2 and an SL2/SL2-S.  That's what the size comparison photos are supposed to remind people of.  As for the original film CL, I'm sure that you can find them on the used market, if you really think that small size is so important.  But then you would have to sacrifice all the digital goodies. In which case, perhaps consider switching to the Sony Alpha 6600, which is a fine APS-C camera but, alas, is not that much smaller than the digital CL, yet weighs 100 gms more.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by robgo2

22 hours ago, marcolinger said:

I have one of the first SL 2. I don’t use it as it is to havy. I own most of the recent Leica but my preferred remains the CL. I never found another Leica so light and so performing. CL 2 must have the same dimension and wight otherwise I will not buy it.

Always remember, never say never. 😄

4 hours ago, lct said:

Don't count me in please :cool:A lens made or adapted for digital can be as compact as a "film" one nowadays, see the latest CV 21/3.5, 35/2 and 35/1.4 v2 for instance. None of them have red edge issues on digital but all are as compact or even smaller that their Leica M counterparts. AF is another story but TL lenses are what they are and won't need more room than on the current CL already. Remains IBIS but i'm not after an obese CL with a vibro sensor personally ;). As for APS-C being "better" than 24x36 i could agree if you meant 18x24 but 24x36 is full frame and can hardly be compared to crop formats IMHO. YMMV.

24x36 is a crop format as well...

• Like 1

Yes - you are missing something. Barnack deliberately chose a miniature format to create a portable camera. And he was not the first to do so, there were quite a few 24x36 cameras before his, but he owns the success story. Still, the war of large and medium format fans against the "inferior" 135 format lasted many years.

Full-frame means a film (or sensor) format that can produce a contact print or the digital equivalent. Against real full-frame 24x36 is but a postage stamp that differs little from other mini formats like APS-C, 4/3rds and 645. However, Canon bastardized the concept two decades ago to market their 1D.

And there we are, stuck in a fake concept...

• Like 2

I must have learnt this a century ago ;) but the 24x36 format was not cropped from a larger one. As i understand it it is just the 35mm movie film format where 18x24 frames are extended to 24x36. Not the same as 18x24 cropped from 24x36 or 6x6 cropped from 6x9 but i may be wrong...

Neither 18x 24 or 6x6 are cropped. Both use the full width of the film, 24 mm and 6 cm.  The only reason Barnack went to 24x36 is because he flipped the image from portrait to landscape. The movie film he used was conceived for 18x24 movie frames with the film moving from top to bottom;  he designed the camera to transport the film horizontally, so he had to make the image 36 mm wide to preserve the ratio. It was important to use the same ratio as the original idea was to make an exposure meter  (by developing a single image) for movies and obviously he needed an identical framing for the purpose. Plus, as I mentioned, it was a negative size that other inventors were experimenting with as well at the time, probably for much the same reasons.
6x6 is simply a square image on the same 120 film as is used for 6x9. No crop involved. If we extrapolate your argument you are calling 645 a cropped format because it uses the same film as 6x9 flipped 90º .
We could argue that 6x9 (or 6x6)  is full-frame, as it is the smallest format that produces usable contact prints - which was rather the norm up to the early sixties

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jaapv said:

If we extrapolate your argument you are calling 645 a cropped format because it uses the same film as 6x9 flipped 90º .

Yes it's the way i've always understood it, same for 18x24 half frame Leica bodies which allowed to take 72 instead of 36 frames on the same 35mm roll if i remember well. Matter of words i guess.

Very small digital cameras are possible. But you have to remove the focal plane shutter mechanism to do so. Like Sigma fp (electronic shutter6 or Ricoh GR III (IBIS and leaf shutter) 

Global shutter sensor is not ready for prime time yet. Even great Sony A1 still need the mechanical shutter for many situations. We are getting close. But it may take a decade to get there. 
The culprit ? Cheap LED with crazy refresh rate. 

Edited by nicci78

One clever way to get IBIS without increasing the size of CL2. 
Just add an integrated grip to store a bigger battery. Same size as SL Q2 SL2 would be awesome.

It is how Sony and Fuji managed to fit IBIS into tiny bodies. 
I am already using a handgrip for my CL anyway. Having a build in one would be even better. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

One clever way to get IBIS without increasing the size of CL2. 
Just add an integrated grip to store a bigger battery. Same size as SL Q2 SL2 would be awesome.

It is how Sony and Fuji managed to fit IBIS into tiny bodies. 
I am already using a handgrip for my CL anyway. Having a build in one would be even better. 

Agree with this completely.  It is what I would like to see in the next CL2 assuming there is one.

Until the SL, I don't recall that Leica ever favoured a built-in handgrip in any of their designs, however.*  Not sure why not - perhaps they view the design without a grip as more 'pure' and giving more options for customers (since a grip can be omitted or added).  Same as they do not favour tilt/turn back screen displays, I would guess.

*The R8/R9 had a bulge but not really a grip, as does the S.  Have I missed any other examples?