Leica CL-2

On 2/25/2021 at 12:36 PM, EUSe said:

If the CL2 turns out to be substantially larger than the old one, I will buy an SL2-S.

That's my feeling exactly. I was, and maybe still am, on the brink of buying the SL2-S, but I decided to hold off when the CL#2 rumour first floated. There are some things I'd like from an updated CL, but more bulk isn't one of them.

• Like 1

So many are opposed to a larger/bulkier CL2.  What if Leica went back to basics with the CL2?  No Video or Live View, upgrade the EVF instead, put in IBIS and weather sealing, release it with Maestro III for the improved sensor, and call it the CL-D.  Back to the concept of the original film CL!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Rick in CO said:

So many are opposed to a larger/bulkier CL2.  What if Leica went back to basics with the CL2?  No Video or Live View, upgrade the EVF instead, put in IBIS and weather sealing, release it with Maestro III for the improved sensor, and call it the CL-D.  Back to the concept of the original film CL!

The prospect of a modern Leica being given the retro treatment is not appealing. Let's keep that sort of stuff for the M.

1 hour ago, Rick in CO said:

Personally, I can do without video, but a modern camera without live view will die on the vine. Too many people nowadays like shooting that way, and I am one of them (some of the time).  The target market for a CL2 must be attracted to the camera, or they won’t but it. 

I’d be all for a CL2 which is a little bigger to accommodate the newer technology and with better ergonomics in the hand. It could also be Leica’s answer to those who have wished for a smaller SL-type and become and a more rounded, hybrid, APS-C camera that directly challenges the competition.

Edited by ruskkyle
  • Like 1

Just as a reminder SL2-S + SL lenses is considerably bigger than CL with TL optics  

a slightly bigger CL will still be more attractive than huge SL2-S

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Just as a reminder SL2-S + SL lenses is considerably bigger than CL with TL optics  

a slightly bigger CL will still be more attractive than huge SL2-S

Thanks for posting those size comparisons. I think that some people have lost their sense of perspective. 🙃

• Like 2

I have one of the first SL 2. I don’t use it as it is to havy. I own most of the recent Leica but my preferred remains the CL. I never found another Leica so light and so performing. CL 2 must have the same dimension and wight otherwise I will not buy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Best Buy today, picking up a new external hard drive, wondered into the camera section and handled some setups I've never had in-hand before. The Canon R with 24-105mm f4, Nikon Z with the 24-70mm f4, neither of which would be anything I'd care to use over a CL outfit, but the biggest honking setup of all was a Sony A7 series (didn't look close enough to know the exact model) with the 12-24mm f2.8, a lens with a front element that'd make any Carl Zeiss lens for a Hasselblad jealous with envy.

The 11-23 I use on the CL is small compared to the 7-14mm f2.8 M. Zuiko I used on my OMD outfit, but the 11-23 is downright toy-like compared to that 12-24mm f2.8 Sony.

The designers at Leica taking instruction from the forum members

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Thanks for posting those size comparisons. I think that some people have lost their sense of perspective.

You mean between monstrous FF and not-so-compact APS bodies? ;) Remember how tiny the film CL was. I wish Leica was able to do the same in the digital world.

2 hours ago, lct said:

You mean between monstrous FF and not-so-compact APS bodies? ;) Remember how tiny the film CL was. I wish Leica was able to do the same in the digital world.

My CL (the digital one) is the same size as my 1932 model D (the film one). 

We can all agree that   
- digital telecentric lens is bigger than film one.  
- battery + sensor + IBIS + motherboard are bigger than a film cassette. 
- AF lens is bigger than MF one. 
- APS-C sensor are already better than 24x36 film. 

So realistically a digital full frame CL with the same size as analog full frame may be feasible without shutter mechanism. À la Sigma fp. 
But we may never see an AF Summicron full frame 40mm f/2 as small as old manual Summicron-C 2/40mm of original CL.