28mm Summicron Aperture Ring Not Aligned?

dsalinas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I recently purchased a used 28mm Summicron from the Leica Store in Soho. My first Leica lens, so in my excitement I don't really notice a potential issue with the lens. The numbers on the aperture ring don't line up center with the white dot, they fall a little to the left. I don't think this is normal, but is it a problem? Photo attached

Also, there's al little more travel beyond f2 and f16. Not much at all, but it doesn't hard stop at f2 or f16. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help!

IMG_2657.heic

IMG_2657.heic

Edited by dsalinas

Welcome, here,

Hello I don't see the pictures.

What is .heic ?

You may attach pictures with xxx .jpeg or xxx.jpg

If the thing bother you, send it for adjustment, or sell it.

Anyway, in my hundred of Leitz Leica lenses, some are not aligned, aperture or focus/aperture rings turning like on Elmar 50mm, or what else, never bother me.

Those details don't bother the lens rendering which is the most important for me.

I think that why Leica had abandoned the once used " I " at each number, on aperture ring.

like here, Summicron 50mm same optical cell, left to mimic the Rigid (50 th anniversary) with " I ", right is "new" LTM edition for screw mount without the " I "

pic many times showed here already ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.noctilux

Not a serious problem but it may affect the value of the lens if you intend to sell it. 

6 hours ago, lct said:

Not a serious problem but it may affect the value of the lens if you intend to sell it. 

Thanks for the help! Not really worried about resale value. I am worried that it may be affecting the diameter opening of each stop. Do you know if this would be making the aperture less or more open than it should be, or is it simply some kind of misalignment. 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Welcome, here,

Hello I don't see the pictures.

What is .heic ?

You may attach pictures with xxx .jpeg or xxx.jpg

If the thing bother you, send it for adjustment, or sell it.

Anyway, in my hundred of Leitz Leica lenses, some are not aligned, aperture or focus/aperture rings turning like on Elmar 50mm, or what else, never bother me.

Those details don't bother the lens rendering which is the most important for me.

I think that why Leica had abandoned the once used " I " at each number, on aperture ring.

like here, Summicron 50mm same optical cell, left to mimic the Rigid (50 th anniversary) with " I ", right is "new" LTM edition for screw mount without the " I "

pic many times showed here already ...

Thanks so much for the help! Attached is the Jpeg (thanks LCT!)

Wondering if this is a weird cosmetic tick or if it's actually affecting the lens operation (maybe the aperture diameter opening is smaller or bigger than it should be, for example).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks, David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed something similar with my Summicron 50mm v5.  I looked at images online of the lens and saw that this was not unique to mine. 

I'm pretty sure that if the aperture ring clicks into position then the correct aperture will be selected. I don't think it's cause for concern.