Canadian 35mm Summicron v4 repair experiences?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,
I recently acquired a Canadian 35mm Summicron v4 in excellent cosmetic condition but noticed that the lens hood was slightly tilted when looking at it from head on (reference the image below).  After researching on various Leica forums, I’ve come to find out there is a high likelihood that the plastic locking ring has broken inside.  With that all being said, I just wanted to ask a few questions from others that found themselves in this situation with their v4 Summicron:

1) Has anyone sent their lens into a reputable Leica repairman (i.e., YYE, DAG, Leica repair, etc.) to have this fixed only to find it as a temporary fix?

2) Is there a permanent fix for these early v4’s? (From what I have come to learn, on later production serial numbers of this lens, Leica changed some of these plastic parts to metal parts to fix said problem)

3) Has anyone just worked around said problem and just continued to shoot with the lens just being careful not to twist the front portion of the lens any further?

I ask the first question partly because the previous owner said he had the lens recently CLA’d (Jan 2021) from a reputable repairman.  He didn’t mention if this was a problem that he had wanted addressed, but, I’d assume if in for a CLA, the repairman would address it either way.  

Either way, I’d really appreciate anyone’s insight from their similar experience with this lens!

Edited by ryangonzoa1987@gmail.com

Welcome here Ryangonzoa,

I had in the past used (still use one "Canada" +  one "Germany") a dozen of Cron IV Canada.

As I used a lot those lenses, over years, the mechanical of those plastic parts inside can behave differently.

So no universal answer for these construction or design "flaws".

My only "cure" is to have Germany made same lens ( this one never had the problem as plastic parts replaced by metallic parts, gaining 20g from 135g to 155g ).

To be positive ...

If you want to keep the lens, it's a good idea to send it for CLA or use carefully with other hood.

Two things can happen,

a- the plastic part not broken, just twisted, and the tech can readjust for squaring it, in this case when repaired just dont use the hood (12524/12526)

or use another hood like 12504 , or cheap screw-in E39 vented hood (you can use the same setup without sending for CLA if you want to)

b- if the part is broken or not repairable, I don't know ...maybe the tech can have a solution (or not)

Arnaud

Hello and welcome! I bought the same type of lens second-hand decades ago and this is the hood that was fitted to it. On the side opposite the model code is written ‘LEITZ CANADA’ so it may have been supplied new with the lens. At the back of my mind I seem to recall reading that hood was suitable for both 50mm and 35mm, but I may be wrong! In any case, this hood doesn’t ‘click’ into the lens ring and hence is free to rotate. Being circular it never appears ‘tilted’!

Thank you for the replies!  

I just got an email reply from the repairman and much like you said a.noctilux, the internals of these lenses can behave differently copy to copy.  He said some lens hoods can tilt on this lens and other copies it won’t.  Tilt or not, it doesn’t mean the internals are broken, in which mine are not.  But, he also mentioned, with all these lenses, always ensure not to mount or dismount with anything other than the base of the lens.  

In regards to the hood, I’ve always had this question; does the 12585 really vignette on all 35mm Summicrons other than the version 1?  

I’ve always read that the 12585 vignettes on 35mm lenses, much like you said a.noctilux.  I’ve used my 12585 extensively on my previously owned version 1 cron and didn’t notice any difference in vignetting with or without the hood.  I just attributed the vignette to the lens’s natural vignette.  I’ve also used the 12585 extensively on my 35mm cron ASPH v1 and to my eye, really haven’t noticed anymore vignetting with or without the 12585.  With that said, I’ve continued to use it without concern and even throw on the IROOA every once in awhile.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 12538 plastic clip-on hood has never been supplied with 35/2 v4 lenses AFAIK. Only with 50/2 v4 but i may be wrong. At least i had one in my 50/2 v4 box when i got it new. The 12538 hood as well as similar metal 12585 and 12585H can cause vignetting on some 35mm lenses as suggested by a.noctilux above, but i haven't noticed this issue on the 35/2 v4 personally. Otherwise the 12538 hood causes a bit less VF lockage on the 35/2 v4 than regular rectangular 12524 and 12526 hoods whilst being more protruding than the laters. Also the 12538 hood rotates freely on the lens barrel and its claws will cause some wear soon or late there but it won't happen tomorrow. Same issue with the 12504 clip-on hood which is very nice and expensive but also does not protect from flare significantly. Nice Chinese versions of the 12504 hood can be found on e**y for little money BTW.

7 minutes ago, lct said:

The 12538 plastic clip-on hood has never been supplied with 35/2 v4 lenses AFAIK. Only with 50/2 v4 but i may be wrong. At least i had one in my 50/2 v4 box when i got it new. The 12538 hood as well as similar metal 12585 and 12585H can cause vignetting on some 35mm lenses as suggested by a.noctilux above, but i haven't noticed this issue on the 35/2 v4 personally.

I’ve not noticed any vignetting - my lens falls into this serial number range, if that helps.

All 35/2 v4 have the same size AFAIK. Some are made in Canada like yours, later ones in Germany. Canadian ones have an optical cell which tends to unscrew more or less easily from the focus mount, like mine below. Those same optical cells won't stay straight and cause rectangular hoods to bend more or less.

Thanks for the replies!

Another question for those with the knowledge/experience; would using the 12526 on my 35mm Summicron ASPH v1 cause any unnecessary wear/possible torque on the lens?  Just from my observation, the protruding mechanism that slots into the lens, in my estimation, may cause torque to the front component if bumped or twisted accidentally.  I would like to minimize any unnecessary stress on the lens if I can help it considering the lens’s apparent value (it’s a black paint ASPH v1, 11611 product number).

15 minutes ago, ryangonzoa1987@gmail.com said:

Thanks for the replies!

Another question for those with the knowledge/experience; would using the 12526 on my 35mm Summicron ASPH v1 cause any unnecessary wear/possible torque on the lens?  Just from my observation, the protruding mechanism that slots into the lens, in my estimation, may cause torque to the front component if bumped or twisted accidentally.  I would like to minimize any unnecessary stress on the lens if I can help it considering the lens’s apparent value (it’s a black paint ASPH v1, 11611 product number).

The claws of the 12526 hood are similar to those of other clip-on Leica hoods like your 12504 above but the hood itself does not rotate due to its special lugs. May cause some torque if you grasp the lens by the hood but this not a thing to do with those lenses anyway. Same with the 28/2.8 asph v1 BTW.

Edited by lct
  • 1 month later...

@a.noctilux Hello Arnaud,

Since you've owned a dozen v4 in the past, would you be able to explain why some of them have a silver ring in the base and others dont ? I first thought it was a question of country of origin, but it seems that both the ones im showing in the photos below are Canadian. Could it be a sign of the change of design (plastic vs aluminium inner ring), which occurred towards the latest Canadian batches ? Thanks.