I'm not sure, but is this the M Cron 35 APO?

TonyS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't doubt that there might be an APO-Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH to be imminently released (and if this picture turns out to be real I hope Leica sorts out the engraving ^_^) but I remain unconvinced that the picture in the OP is a photo of it for the reasons I explained.

On a separate note I'm saddened that "APO" seems to have become a marketing by-word for 'super-duper fantabulous sexy whoaaa!' rather than 'apochromatically connected' that it formerly meant in all of Leica's previous APO lenses because apochromatically correcting wide angle lenses offers little if any benefit since the colour wavelengths will naturally very closely overlap in the image plane and chromatic aberration will be effectively suppressed.  

It's a bit like renaming and re-marketing the Noctilux as "Superfast-Noctilux-M 1:0.95/50 ASPH".  (And if they do I claim dibs.:lol:)

Pete.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Isn't that what Noctilux means anyway? If you translate it to English, it sounds ridiculous (Nightlight). Assuming the lens is apochromatically corrected, I don't object to the naming. People rightly associate it with favorable optical characteristics, and there certainly are wide angle lenses with chromatic aberrations and fringing, so if they are trying to convey to their buyers that this lens does not suffer from them, then I think that makes sense. I know people are extremely skeptical of marketing (myself included), but sometimes it also functions as a way to convey actual information to consumers, not just to trick them into buying something.

8 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Isn't that what Noctilux means anyway?

Yes - that was my perhaps poorly put point - it would be a tautology to call it the "Superfast-Noctilux-M 1:0.95/50 ASPH" just for marketing 'eye candy'.

With respect to calling a lens "APO" if it is apochromatically corrected (and if it needs to be) is quite right.  But adding apochromatic correction if a lens doesn't need it, as in the case of wide angle lenses, because the competition is doing it is quite another thing.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I am also sure that 99.9% of even fairly educated lens buyers do not know that, but that a good 50% or more know what an APO lens is

Contradiction in terms.

An APO lens is one corrected to focus at least three color wavelengths in the same plane.

Anyone who does not know that does not - by definition - know what an APO lens is.

There is an upside, however. Anyone who buys a 35mm lens thinking that it has any more APO correction than a plain-vanilla 35mm will be paying a "tax on foolishness."* And I am always in favor of taxing foolishness. ;)

*education being no particular barrier to foolishness. As any brief survey of world conditions will attest.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, UliWer said:

When you change the „jp.“ in padam’s link in #16 to „de.“ - i.e. the German website - you find the same teaser photo. 

Same happens when you change "de." or "jp." to "us."

This is beginning to look quite real...

53 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I am sure you are right, but I am also sure that 99.9% of even fairly educated lens buyers do not know that, but that a good 50% or more know what an APO lens is and that it tends to stand for better performance. So I imagine it is a tricky decision for the purists, and an easy one for the sales team.

Easy and probably inevitable given that the 35/2 asph is still offered.

26 minutes ago, adan said:

Contradiction in terms.

An APO lens is one corrected to focus at least three color wavelengths in the same plane.

Anyone who does not know that does not - by definition - know what an APO lens is.

There is an upside, however. Anyone who buys a 35mm lens thinking that it has any more APO correction than a plain-vanilla 35mm will be paying a "tax on foolishness."* And I am always in favor of taxing foolishness. ;)

*education being no particular barrier to foolishness. As any brief survey of world conditions will attest.

I feel like you all are being willfully obtuse. Though the technical definition may be one thing, the definition for the market is different. People buying an "apo" Leica lens know that that signifies superior optical performance. This is like people who complain about how people use the word "irony" incorrectly. Congratulations, you are correct. But the cat is out of the bag.

6 hours ago, padam said:

It does not matter if it does not quite match the SL Summicron as it is way smaller and you can mount it on anything, rangefinders, mirrorless cameras, cinema cameras, etc.
Can't do that with an L-mount lens.

I bet it will be one of Leica's best-selling lenses. I'd even consider buying it myself even though I use a 35mm less than 10% of the time. I had the 35mm FLE and, while it is a great lens, it can't compete with what Leica is doing now. 

38 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I feel like you all are being willfully obtuse. Though the technical definition may be one thing, the definition for the market is different. People buying an "apo" Leica lens know that that signifies superior optical performance. This is like people who complain about how people use the word "irony" incorrectly. Congratulations, you are correct. But the cat is out of the bag.

"Willfully obtuse"! Ouch!... It is a very rare behavior on the LUF fortunately. See our late discussions about the EVF-M :eek:. What Leica could make is an "apo" sticker that one can put or remove depending upon the deepness of their knowledge and/or pompousness :D.  

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dkmoore said:

These two lenses won’t compete at all. 

Not one less leica APO $9k lens will be sold because of the Voigtlander. And that is not a knock on the Voigtlander. 

Totally disagree. I personally backed off of the APO 50/2-M because of the imminent APO 50/2 VM which I now own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, farnz said:

On a separate note I'm saddened that "APO" seems to have become a marketing by-word for 'super-duper fantabulous sexy whoaaa!' rather than 'apochromatically connected' that it formerly meant in all of Leica's previous APO lenses because apochromatically correcting wide angle lenses offers little if any benefit since the colour wavelengths will naturally very closely overlap in the image plane and chromatic aberration will be effectively suppressed.  

It's a bit like renaming and re-marketing the Noctilux as "Superfast-Noctilux-M 1:0.95/50 ASPH".  (And if they do I claim dibs.:lol:)

I hear what you're saying, but the correlation thus far is very high. Nobody has yet to release an apochromatic M lens that was not also extremely well-corrected across the board, so there is a default cast of, "folks we are taking quality as seriously as we can on this one!"

2 minutes ago, astrostl said:

I hear what you're saying, but the correlation thus far is very high. Nobody has yet to release an apochromatic M lens that was not also extremely well-corrected across the board, so there is a default cast of, "folks we are taking quality as seriously as we can on this one!"

I suspect that the "default cast of, "folks we are taking quality as seriously as we can on this one!" " equally applies to all lenses from the perspective that no lens manufacturer would want to give the impression that they'd released a lens with the subtext "we only tried half-heartedly with this one"?  

Are you suggesting that by association "APO" now implies to a significant proportion of buyers ("a default cast") that the lens is also corrected for all of coma, spherical aberration, pincushion distortion, barrel distortion, moustache distortion, astigmatism, curvature of field?  If so, I think they might be disappointed with their presumed 'one size fits all' assumption.

Pete.

PS, I'm not convinced by: "Nobody has yet to release an apochromatic M lens that was not also extremely well-corrected across the board" unless somone has confirmed this on all the APO-marked lenses that have been released because there appear to be new lenses released by lesser known companies that are lacking in the appropriate design and manufacturing resource to support this.

But adding apochromatic correction if a lens doesn't need it, as in the case of wide angle lenses, because the competition is doing it is quite another thing.

That is starting to sound like selling snake oil to the ignorant.  I am hoping that Leica is better than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 25 Minuten schrieb a.noctilux:

If this is retouched current 35mm Summicron-M Asph. price for apo naming would not be that high.

Maybe from the technical point of view a 35 mm APO lens wouldn't make sense, but from a marketing pov an APO naming certainly does.
I'm afraid at least around 2000 £ for each letter on top of the current price.

Always was hoping for a better 35 mm Summicron to come. But I wouldn't afford it for the fancy prices that was raised for the last APO-lenses. So I guess I will save a lot of money again, like in all the last years when new stuff comes around.

But there is a small hope left, that it could be meant as the standard lens for the affordable analogue M, that is also rumored.
Instead of APO correction I hope for less distortion, less prone for flares and light scatter. Still dreaming...