I'm not sure, but is this the M Cron 35 APO?

TonyS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Even if they don’t announce it right away, they want to make sure we know their APO is coming so people don’t buy too many 35mm APO Lanthars 😁.

Competition for M-mount lenses is getting stronger.

I’m certainly looking forward to this lens.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, roma said:

Even if they don’t announce it right away, they want to make sure we know their APO is coming so people don’t buy too many 35mm APO Lanthars 😁.

Competition for M-mount lenses is getting stronger.

I’m certainly looking forward to this lens.

These two lenses won’t compete at all. 

Not one less leica APO $9k lens will be sold because of the Voigtlander. And that is not a knock on the Voigtlander

I'm suspicious about the picture.  If you look at the "APO" it is at a very slightly goofy angle and the kerning is off a little so it could easily be constructed from cloning the "A" and "P" in "ASPH".  

The first 'give away' for me is that the "O" of APO appears to be the zero from the serial number rather than the "O" from Summicron, which is fatter.

The second give away for me is that with "APO-" added the symmetry of the writing on the lens ring is off.

I call mock-up.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, farnz said:

I'm suspicious about the picture.  If you look at the "APO" it is at a very slightly goofy angle and the kerning is off a little so it could easily be constructed from cloning the "A" and "P" in "ASPH".  

The first 'give away' for me is that the "O" of APO appears to be the zero from the serial number rather than the "O" from Summicron, which is fatter.

The second give away for me is that with "APO-" added the symmetry of the writing on the lens ring is off.

I call mock-up.

Pete.

Your suspicions are well founded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a leica fanboy but I don’t think this will sell well if it is anywhere near the price of the 50 APO.

The FLE and Cron are amazing and the wow of the 50 APO has come back to earth. 

The lens likely  won’t match the performance of the SL35 and therefor in my eyes, if it is any bigger than the current Cron it is a loss because it won’t have the character and will add to the size. A waste of energy. 

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dkmoore said:

These two lenses won’t compete at all. 

Not one less leica APO $9k lens will be sold because of the Voigtlander. And that is not a knock on the Voigtlander. 

There's no way this one will cost 9k, and since it's not some sort of an f0.95 exotic, people will definitely be considering alternatives. I'm speaking of photographers.

4 hours ago, farnz said:

'm suspicious about the picture.  If you look at the "APO" it is at a very slightly goofy angle and the kerning is off a little so it could easily be constructed from cloning the "A" and "P" in "ASPH".

Agreed.

The "A" in APO appears to be cloned from the ASPH and then reversed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Kwesi
Added photo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roma said:

There's no way this one will cost 9k, and since it's not some sort of an f0.95 exotic, people will definitely be considering alternatives. I'm speaking of photographers.

Watch Peter Karbe talking about the Leica M lenses on YouTube.
The thing to note about Leica is that they can make certain M lenses if there is demand for it.
There was suitably high demand for a 50 f2 APO currently costing 8800$ as opposed to a 50 f2 Summicron at 2700$ and a 50 f1.4 Summilux at 4400$

There is no reason why this will not work with the 35 f2 APO, especially with the M10-R line going parallel with the M10-P now (I am sure it will be kept separate in the M11 as well), so there are plenty of potential customers for it.

4 hours ago, dkmoore said:

I am a leica fanboy but I don’t think this will sell well if it is anywhere near the price of the 50 APO.

The FLE and Cron are amazing and the wow of the 50 APO has come back to earth. 

The lens likely  won’t match the performance of the SL35 and therefor in my eyes, if it is any bigger than the current Cron it is a loss because it won’t have the character and will add to the size. A waste of energy. 

The previous version of the Summicron ASPH is from 1996 and the Summilux pre-FLE (not that different to the FLE) is from 1993. So there is room to improve on the 35 FLE: Distortion, fringing, field curvature, resolution.

It does not matter if it does not quite match the SL Summicron as it is way smaller and you can mount it on anything, rangefinders, mirrorless cameras, cinema cameras, etc.
Can't do that with an L-mount lens.

Edited by padam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, farnz said:

Yes, good call Pete. The kerning between the A and P certainly looks tighter than is seen on, for example, the 50 APO.

I suspect the existence of the lens is true but this particular photo does have a whiff of fakery about it.

• Thanks 1

If it was leaked, I think it does make sense that it was done so to let potential buyers of the APO Lanthar know that a Leica version is coming, one which is likely to have similar or better performance and in a smaller package. Not all lens buyers are motivated by legacy or prestige alone. A number are looking for performance, and will pay for it wherever it comes from. The CV lens has extremely good MTF specs...better than any Leica 35mm other than the Apo Summicron SL. That this is on the Japanese site makes sense too, since Voigtlander is a Japanese lens maker with a very large domestic following. If Leica was getting ready to announce this lens soon, this leak makes a certain sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

That this is on the Japanese site makes sense too

That was exactly my thinking. All of these APO Lanthars are stirring things up.

If the pictured lens is truly what's coming and it does have a build-in hood, then this new lens will definitely be a bit larger/longer than the current version.

It's definitely time for a new and improved 35mm design from Wetzlar.

• Like 1

Agreed. The 35mm ASPH and 35mm FLE are great lenses, but while their performance was incredible in the 90s and early 2000s, other companies are catching up. The fact that they are only doing it twenty years later is testament to Leica's skill. The current lenses do very well with 24mp and even 40-47 in good light, but the new high resolution bodies deserve a 35mm lens like the 50mm APO. A fairly compact kit of 35mm APO and another super sharp lens like the 75mm APO Summicron and a M10R or M10M means that you can carry around a camera all day with resolution similar to the very best medium format film cameras, all the while shooting it at ISO's unheard of even 6 or 7 years ago.

vor einer Stunde schrieb sebben:

Guys, the original source of the image is the Japanese language version of the Leica website. It’s real. 

When you change the „jp.“ in padam’s link in #16 to „de.“ - i.e. the German website - you find the same teaser photo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1