New L-mount telephoto zoom: Lumix S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Attractive to me if only for the fact that it is an internal zoom rather than , like the Sigma , an extendable zoom.

However if it suffers softness at the long end not so much.

From what I`ve understood from this board the Sigma too suffers from that so the search may have to continue . 

On 2/21/2021 at 11:13 AM, wda said:

I cannot find relevant documentation on what is unique when using the Sigma hub other than rather tricky focusing recalibration procedures. Do some Sigma lenses have reprogrammable memories? And if so, how do new Leica lenses benefit from camera and lens firmware updates when a Leica camera firmware upgrade is applied, without the benefit or need of an equivalent hub? Or are Sigma lenses in a league of their own regarding their firmware updates?

Not sure I have expressed my quandary as clearly as needed. Jaap appears to be the only member with knowledge and experience of owning and using the Sigma hub on the Leica CL.  Any clarification and advice would be gratefully received. I do not wish to get into Sigma lens recalibration. But I would not wish to miss out on beneficial firmware improvements to power utilisation and economy.

David, if you feel you need the voice of a few others to confirm no dock necessary to update firmware - read through this thread, several others confirm.  

• Like 1

Just as a disclaimer, I do not own the CL and I haven't had any need yet to look for an official statement by Sigma regarding lens firmware update via USB dock.

So this my personal view and I might be wrong.

It would not make much sense if the USB dock for L-mount were the one and only way to update lens firmware. In that case it would be practically mandatory for everybody who owns even a single Sigma L-mount lens to buy the Sigma USB dock. But a requirement like that is not stated anywhere as far as I know. Not sure, but I believe there were Sigma L-mount lenses available before the USB dock for L-mount even existed. And it would probably not go down well with potential lens buyers if they were required to buy the USB dock when all other lens makers other than Sigma do not have such a requirement. I think the main idea behind the USB dock is to give customers the ability not only to update firmware (via the dock instead of the camera if so desired) but to make changes in certain lens firmware parameters according to their personal needs or taste. This is useful for parameters that by design can be tweaked by choosing one out of several available options (for example, maximum rotation angle of focusing ring for complete focusing range). The same would not be possible in a regular firmware update via the camera (unless the camera menu has those options available, but that would unnecessary bloat the camera menu).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Boojay said:

David, if you feel you need the voice of a few others to confirm no dock necessary to update firmware - read through this thread, several others confirm.  

Thank you, Jane. That looks clear to me. I think Jaap must be away. Otherwise, I am sure he would have responded by now

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

All the Sigma lenses I have used with the CL or the S1R has been possible to update the FW of the lens from the camera itself, no need for the hub. If I remember, the hub was mainly used for back/front focussing issues in the early days for Nikon/Canon, I would assume it is also the same reason for the L series.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not what Sigma says:

Sigma USB Dock

CALIBRATE, CUSTOMIZE, AND UPDATE YOUR LENS
Category: Miscellaneous, Lens Customization
  • Update Lens Firmware
  • Customize: Autofocus, OS, Focus
  • Compatible with Global Vision Lenses (Except for Mirroless lenses)

Bolding mine.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-usb-dock

34 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Note that Sigma does not mention this option:

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens-firmware-updates/

From 2016 updates for Canon and Sigma mount DSLR lenses?? 

A more up to date Sigma update page..

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/a018_70_28/?tab=support&local=firmware

Gives the procedure, without the dock, for firmware update on Fp, same procedure for other L mount bodies.

I'm sure the dock is useful,  just not totally necessary.

• Like 4

With Lumix lenses, through a Lumix body, I can decide if the focus has to work linearly or else, and the angle of rotation that is required between the minimum focus distance and infinity. With the two Sigma lenses I own this is not possible, unfortunately, and the dock station is required. Lenses update is instead allowed if I'm not wrong. 

Just for information. 

10 hours ago, Boojay said:

From 2016 updates for Canon and Sigma mount DSLR lenses?? 

A more up to date Sigma update page..

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/a018_70_28/?tab=support&local=firmware

Gives the procedure, without the dock, for firmware update on Fp, same procedure for other L mount bodies.

I'm sure the dock is useful,  just not totally necessary.

Thanks for the updated link Jayne. I've previously updated the FW on my Sigma lenses on both the CL & SL2 without the dock (which I don't own).

• Like 2