New L-mount telephoto zoom: Lumix S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Panasonic introduces the Lumix S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6, a new telephoto zoom with good macro capabilities.

The Lumix S 70-300 at a glance

• 17 elements in 11 groups, including 7 zoom groups
  • 11 aperture blades
  • Stabilization up to 5.5 stops with Dual IS
  • Magnification up to 1:2 (at 300mm)
  • Switches for
    • Focus limiter (full focus range or 3m - infinity)
    • AF / MF
    • Image Stabilizer (also turns off IBIS)
    • Zoom lock to 70mm for transport
  • Dimensions 84 x 148mm
  • Weight 790g 

The Lumix S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 will be released in April 2021 and is expected to cost $1249.99 (MSRP).

Lumix S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 Images

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

LUMIX S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 MACRO O.I.S. (S-R70300)

Panasonic Introduces New Telephoto Zoom Lens for the LUMIX S Series with Macro Capability

Panasonic is proud to introduce a new interchangeable telephoto zoom lens, the LUMIX S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 MACRO O.I.S. (S-R70300), based on the L-Mount system, for the LUMIX S Series Full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera. Built with professional photographers in mind, the LUMIX S Series pursues uncompromising photographic expression with its high-quality cameras and lenses.

The new LUMIX S 70-300mm boasts high descriptive performance and beautiful bokeh throughout the entire zoom range, which create exceptionally impressive photo and video. It also provides high-speed, high-precision AF and Dual Image Stabilizer (IS) for use in a wide-range of situations including sports, animals, portraits and vehicles.

Adopting the state-of-the-art optical technology, the optimum alignment of the 17 lens elements in 11 groups, including one ultra extra-low dispersion (UED) lens, two extra-low dispersion (ED) lenses and one ultra-high refractive index (UHR) lens, effectively suppresses axial chromatic aberration at tele-end, and chromatic aberration of magnification at wide-end. Specifically, the UHR lens achieves uniform image quality from the center to the edges of the image, while contributing to an overall smaller configuration of the lens unit.

With an outstanding minimum focusing distance of 0.54m*1, the LUMIX S 70-300mm achieves maximum magnification of 0.5x (at 300mm) realizing half life-size macro photography and videography. Circular aperture with an 11-bladed iris diaphragm provides beautifully rounded bokeh for unfocused lights.

Combining the Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS) in the lens and the Body IS in the LUMIX S Series camera, the Dual IS system powerfully compensates for the handshake in telephoto shooting, making it possible to use a 5.5-stop slower shutter speed*2. The focus control with a maximum 480 fps high-speed sensor drive realizes fast, high-precision AF.

Despite being a telephoto zoom lens with macro capability, the LUMIX S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 MACRO O.I.S. is compact and light weight for stunning mobility. The rugged, dust/splash-resistant*3 design withstands use under harsh conditions even at 14°F / -10°C. In addition, the fluorine coating on the front element repels water and oil. The filter diameter is 77mm.

The LUMIX S 70-300mm, like all LUMIX S Series lenses, excels in video recording performance with a mechanism that minimizes focus breathing, a fatal problem in all interchangeable lenses designed for still image photography. Furthermore, focus shift is suppressed during zooming with an exceptional zoom tracking performance, with the subject always in sharp focus. As a result, the new lens meets the exceptionally high standards required to achieve professional-grade video footage.

Newer L-Mount lenses including three more F1.8 large-aperture lenses are under development to further enhance the LUMIX S Series lens lineup and fulfill the needs of our customers.

The LUMIX S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 MACRO O.I.S. (S-R70300) will be available at valued channel partners in April for $1249.99 MSRP.

*1 At wide-end. *2 Based on the CIPA standard [Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=300mm, when LUMIX S5 is used.] *3 Dust and Splash Resistant does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this lens is subjected to direct contact with dust and water. • Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, RickP said:

Does anyone know if this will work properly on a Leica CL body??

Well all other lenses from Panasonic in L mount work fine on the CL, so no reason to think otherwise.  Looks interesting though reported softness towards the long end dampens my enthusiasm a bit,  hoping it's down to sample variation and look forward to hearing from real world users once it starts shipping.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't be sure about this specific future 70-300mm Lumix lenses, but I have used other Lumix L-mount lenses on both my CL and SL2 camera bodies (along with Leica L- mount glass).  Functionally they work on both CL and SL-2 bodies, obviously there are some differences (e.g., IS switch is on the Lumix lens, etc). For me, their attractiveness is there smaller size and lower weight while cycling. The rest of the time I use my 24-90mm and 90-280 Leica glass.  

Additional point:  You may find slightly higher battery consumption with the Lumix lens (vs leica 90-280mm), but carrying an extra battery fixes that shortcoming.

Edited by William K.

21 hours ago, RickP said:

Does anyone know if this will work properly on a Leica CL body??

I don't see why not.  All my other L mount lenses work fine, including a Sigma macro.  I had a battery drainage warning at one point but Jayne suggested that I may need to update my CL firmware and sure enough, that fixed the problem.  Still, the CL battery is smaller and intuitively I suspect that using large lenses on it a lot may lead to faster battery useage but that's just conjecture.

Edited by vikasmg
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, vikasmg said:

I don't see why not.  All my other L mount lenses work fine, including a Sigma macro.  I had a battery drainage warning at one point but Jayne suggested that I may need to update my CL firmware and sure enough, that fixed the problem.  Still, the CL battery is smaller and intuitively I suspect that using large lenses on it a lot may lead to faster battery useage but that's just conjecture.

Visas,

So what version firmware are you on now?

Thanks,

Rick

17 hours ago, RickP said:

Sorry for the Typo Vikas!

I'll attempt an answer Rick if you don't mind as I think it was me who pointed Vikas in the direction of a firmware update.  Right now we are on version 4 for the CL but I think it was a previous firmware update that helped the battery drain situation with the Sigma 70 Macro... if I remember correctly it also involved updating the lens firmware for the Sigma.  When using the Sigma it is pretty obvious when you watch and hear the movement of the lens it is going to be using some juice😃.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boojay said:

I'll attempt an answer Rick if you don't mind as I think it was me who pointed Vikas in the direction of a firmware update.  Right now we are on version 4 for the CL but I think it was a previous firmware update that helped the battery drain situation with the Sigma 70 Macro... if I remember correctly it also involved updating the lens firmware for the Sigma. One of the updates was compatibility issues with other L mount lens providers - Panasonic/Sigma.   When using the Sigma it is pretty obvious when you watch and hear the movement of the lens it is going to be using some juice😃.

Sorry double posted instead of editing... Sunday morning brain drain moment.

Edited by Boojay

7 minutes ago, Boojay said:

I'll attempt an answer Rick if you don't mind as I think it was me who pointed Vikas in the direction of a firmware update.  Right now we are on version 4 for the CL but I think it was a previous firmware update that helped the battery drain situation with the Sigma 70 Macro... if I remember correctly it also involved updating the lens firmware for the Sigma.  When using the Sigma it is pretty obvious when you watch and hear the movement of the lens it is going to be using some juice😃.

Jayne, can you update the Sigma lens firmware without buying the USB Hub? If so, how?

15 minutes ago, wda said:

Jayne, can you update the Sigma lens firmware without buying the USB Hub? If so, how?

David, it is a while ago when I did this and I'm struggling to remember, I no longer have the 70.  But, I have never had the dock and I'm pretty sure I did update the Sigma 70 and more recently have updated the Sigma MC-21 EF-L adaptor (on the SL2).   Normal procedure, download firmware, copy to card.. card to camera etc.  Hope someone else can confirm this, otherwise it's a sure sign I'm losing it😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaapv said:

No, you need to buy the hub to update and adjust/modify Sigma lenses.

I cannot find relevant documentation on what is unique when using the Sigma hub other than rather tricky focusing recalibration procedures. Do some Sigma lenses have reprogrammable memories? And if so, how do new Leica lenses benefit from camera and lens firmware updates when a Leica camera firmware upgrade is applied, without the benefit or need of an equivalent hub? Or are Sigma lenses in a league of their own regarding their firmware updates?

Not sure I have expressed my quandary as clearly as needed. Jaap appears to be the only member with knowledge and experience of owning and using the Sigma hub on the Leica CL.  Any clarification and advice would be gratefully received. I do not wish to get into Sigma lens recalibration. But I would not wish to miss out on beneficial firmware improvements to power utilisation and economy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wda said:

David, driven me nuts, just had to confirm I wasn't losing it just yet.

While I hate to disagree with @jaapvon anything🙂, I was sure you could update Sigma lens firmware on the CL.  I had noticed there was a firmware update available for the Sigma 56 I have, so in the usual fashion I downloaded the update from the Sigma site, copied to card, inserted in CL and went through to update the lens, as with any other lens.

So, while I am sure the dock may make life easier, and with it you can adjust and modify the lens as Jaapv says, it is not necessary simply to update the firmware.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:45 AM, jaapv said:

No, you need to buy the hub to update and adjust/modify Sigma lenses.

Jaap, I wonder whether you have seen the dilemma your statement promoted in the posts that followed? You write with authority. Can you point Jayne and me to a good source which explains the extent to which the CL plus L-mount Sigma lenses depend upon the presence of the Sigma USB hub for the successful upgrading of relevant camera and lens firmware?