Leica R to L Adapter for 3 Cam R Glass

bherman01545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I saw that this thread was raised already, but I really didn't see my question/s answered

I have a Leica SL2-S (obviously, a Leica Digital L Mount Body) and I also have a Leicaflex SL2 (an Analog R mount body) 

The lenses that I will be using are R Mount 3 Cam lenses (without the ROM contacts) I know that Leica makes an expensive R to L Adapter # 16076, but if my R glass does not have the ROM contacts, would the Novoflex or even the Metabones adapter do the same thing or is the Leica adapter that much better? 

Also, would my Digital SL2 be able to work in Shutter or Aperture Priority Mode, or would I have to go full manual mode? Would I need to enter the closest model/code of my lens the same way that I would 

Thanks!

-Brad

Hello,

I am using the the 16076 adapter mostly with ROM lenses but I have a couple of 3-cam lenses as well as. In both cases, the SL only works in Aperture Priority and Manual models. Shutter priority and program modes are not available because no R to L adapter has the capability of controlling the aperture on the R lenses. 

I don't recall the price difference between the ROM-compatible R to L adapter versus stacking the M to L and R to M adapters but it may be cheaper to stack than purchase the ROM aware adapter. I went the stacked route as I only have 3-Cam R lens and previously had an M so I had an M to R adapter already in hand. The stacked Leica adapters do invoke the lens profile menu in the SL2 so you can manually tag certain lenses, enable image stabilization and get some lens meta data in the file.

The Leica R to L has electrical contacts on both the camera and lens side but these do not seem to accomplish a whole lot. I think all they do and only for ROM lenses, is transmit the lens ID, so that you don't have to select it on the camera menu but not even sure about this, as I have mostly been using 3 cam lenses recently like 100/2.8 Macro and 500 MR-Telyt on my CL and SL. Someone else said that they transmit focal length on zoom lenses. Later today I will try my 21-35 Vario-Elmar-R ROM lens and see what is transmitted and report. 

Wilson

On 2/27/2021 at 7:02 AM, wlaidlaw said:

Someone else said that they transmit focal length on zoom lenses. Later today I will try my 21-35 Vario-Elmar-R ROM lens and see what is transmitted and report. 

My 35-70 reports focal length as I zoom. I think my 80-200 does as well, but don't recall one way or another.

• Thanks 1