Noise

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week i made this photo with a Q2M. ISO 25.000 at 1/50 shutter speed. Today i looked at it again, only to find out it suddenly looked horrible. How could this be possible? Is it my laptop? (MB Pro 2015). I used an old version of Lightroom (Lightroom 5). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Casakleinhuis

1 hour ago, Casakleinhuis said:

I haven't got the DNG anymore, so i can't try. It doesn't matter, because it was an experiment, but i will be careful next time

the dgn is very likely still in the sd  card or in the trash bin....sd card is recoverable sometimes for free if you search right and find the proper solution

I would blame LR - it's very possible that you imported it with some "wacky" settings. Windows 10 default photo viewer sometimes does horrid corrections on the fly to either raw or jpeg files

as others said too...

vor 9 Stunden schrieb nwphil:

I would blame LR - it's very possible that you imported it with some "wacky" settings.

AFAIK, Ligtroom can be set to add no ",modifications" when importing and as it works not destructive, the original photo is always there.

Shooting at night with a strong light source and a dark surrounding and then apply too much gain for lows or  pumping up the general  lighting will lead to grainy photos.
This was true on analog film and is still true on digital photography where editing is less time consuming, stinky, but laso less "magic".

The key to great photos in low light conditions is a perfect exposure!

Chris

If the you imported it into LR and then deleted the dng without making a high res jpg or tiff, then all you would be left with is a lo-res preview. LR is not a ring-fenced catalogue - it's simply a pointer to where the images are on the disk. 

Did you only have the now lost dng or did you import shoot in DNG+JPG? If so, what quality was the jpg?

33 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

If the you imported it into LR and then deleted the dng without making a high res jpg or tiff, then all you would be left with is a lo-res preview. LR is not a ring-fenced catalogue - it's simply a pointer to where the images are on the disk. 

Did you only have the now lost dng or did you import shoot in DNG+JPG? If so, what quality was the jpg?

I only shoot in DNG. I often delete DNG's when i think i will not use it for making large prints, because obviously those DNG's are sucking up space on my SSD. 

12 minutes ago, Casakleinhuis said:

I only shoot in DNG. I often delete DNG's when i think i will not use it for making large prints, because obviously those DNG's are sucking up space on my SSD. 

So what is the image you are showing in the original post? Where did it come from? Exported as a hi-res image from Lightroom with all the adjustments?

9 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

So what is the image you are showing in the original post? Where did it come from? Exported as a hi-res image from Lightroom with all the adjustments?

Yes, exported as a hi-res from LR, with all the settings i use for more than ten years, at 300dpi. It looks like it comes down to one file that's ruined: the other ones are perfect, like this one:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Casakleinhuis

4 hours ago, Casakleinhuis said:

It is perhaps useful to note that if you download the (free) Adobe DNG converter and run your DNGs through that you can significantly reduce the size of them without any compression or loss of quality. That is what I invariably do before adding Q2 images to Capture One (which is the RAW converter that I use).

Stephen

• Like 2