For copying slides I use the following contraption:

• Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon D 75/4 M 1:1
  • Extension ring 17 675 (DOORX)
  • Thread mount lens adapter for the bellows 16590 (
  • M Bellows II 16556
  • Visoflex lenses to R adapter 14 167
  • Appropriate R adapter on either SL or M10
  • Copy stand 
  • Kaiser Slimlite Plano light box (5000K)

This works very nicely. I use a paper mask with a hole for the slide / negative to avoid stray light.

This Apo-Rodagon is optimized for the 1:1 scale of reproduction, it does not work well as a general macro lens. I found it in excellent condition at $200 on eBay 3 years back so the price is not a big deal.

I have attached a few pictures of the setup.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use a Leica SL2, Leica S 120 macro with Leica 1-1 adapter, Kaiser copy stand , Negative Supply holders and 99 CRI pro light box. Outstanding results, especially with Multishot.

I compared same color slide scanned on a Heidelberg drum scanner, Leica setup considerably better!!!  Tethered to C1, everything dead level, F8 , 100 iso ss 30-80 depending. With AN glass  mounts f5.6 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 8:40 PM, bsmith said:

I use a Leica SL2, Leica S 120 macro with Leica 1-1 adapter, Kaiser copy stand , Negative Supply holders and 99 CRI pro light box. Outstanding results, especially with Multishot.

I compared same color slide scanned on a Heidelberg drum scanner, Leica setup considerably better!!!  Tethered to C1, everything dead level, F8 , 100 iso ss 30-80 depending. With AN glass  mounts f5.6 

Sounds amazing. Can you post some scan examples in 100% size? Could be a crop of detail.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:09 AM, hirohhhh said:

I got Sigma 70mm Macro lens today and it's fantastic. I mean for less than $600, I'm impressed with its macro capabilities. Can't compare with much more expensive Leica macro lenses, because I never saw it in person, but I think this is more than enough for scanning film negatives.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Possible to scan / photograph negatives using optics costing much less than $600 ... the A is not sharp ... OOF section clearly visible ... your technique maybe not optimised ... subject needs to be perfectly parallel and perpendicular to the image plane 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Possible to scan / photograph negatives using optics costing much less than $600 ... the A is not sharp ... OOF section clearly visible ... your technique maybe not optimised ... subject needs to be perfectly parallel and perpendicular to the image plane 

Thanks, but this was just a snapshot, as soon as I unpack the lens to test it. Didn't optimize anything at all, just put the lens and click to be amazed with the "zoom" :)

• Thanks 1