Leica UK camera trade-in

johnabarbour

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43 minutes ago, macboy said:

Perhaps I should have been more specific...for less than £2000 that anyone in their right mind would buy.The £1399 looks like it was used to test sandpaper grades and the £1799 one isn't much better. I also have a bias as I have personally had a less than brilliant experience with MPB grading and even with pictures and warranty don't entirely trust they've done anything other than get it out of the box and take a look at it...

Cosmetic blemishes not affecting functionality ... regularly used professional quality cameras are bound to have a few external marks ... the SL 601 is now over 5 years young. It's the images which count ... not the cosmetic condition ... Unless you just want to shove it in a cabinet and stroke it occasionally?? ... As done by some Leica 'enthusiasts' with allegedly 'right minds'.

Furthermore, your last sentence could be deemed libellous ... unless you have proof of your allegation.

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo

8 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Cosmetic blemishes not affecting functionality ... regularly used professional quality cameras are bound to have a few external marks ... the SL 601 is now over 5 years young. It's the images which count ... not the cosmetic condition ... Unless you just want to shove it in a cabinet and stroke it occasionally?? ... As done by some Leica 'enthusiasts' with allegedly 'right minds'.

Not at all a fetishist collector but condition is a function of future resale and if and when I want to trade up or out. It also implies a harder life and the possibility of more issues in the future. If I buy a used car I want one without scraped wheels, bumper dents and scratched plastic for the same reasons not because I intend to put it in the garage and stroke it occassionally.

1 hour ago, macboy said:

...The £1399 looks like it was used to test sandpaper grades and the £1799 one isn't much better...

If you are seriously interested in wanting to buy one there is a "98%" near-mint-in-box-complete-with (etc) example currently for sale in a London dealership.

Philip.

16 hours ago, jaapv said:

Which is, basically, a  weird situation. The SL601  is a fantastic camera and for most users the difference to the SL2 is not worth 4000 GBP by any rational measure.

But as I noticed elsewhere, pixels appear to be selling at around 100 GBP apiece 🙄 and in this case about 200....

This is semi-related to how I've justified my pre-order for a Fuji GFX100S .....on a megapixel basis, I'm thinking it's tantamount to my SL2, but at half-price?! 🤔

I've actually sold the SL2 in preparation for the GFX, but kept my SL 50 APO lens.

This decision ties in with some of the comments above, ie, for my smaller 20"x16" prints (my standard print size for family portraits), I might consider picking up a used SL 601, or a cheaper Panasonic S1.  There are loads of these 24mp cameras in the used market now at decent prices, and 6000x4000 pixels is absolutely sufficient for immaculate image quality at a 20"x16" print size when outputted at 300dpi.

Hence to remain a Leica user for that 20"x16" output size, and to continue enjoying the rendering of the SL APO prime lens for portraits, I'm thinking an SL 601 is a much more "rationale" choice (to use Jaap's term) than the SL2.  And I also think the Fuji 100mp goliath will be better suited for my 50-60" prints of landscapes than the SL2.

In the end, the SL2's 47mp was an odd resolution for me ....needlessly high for 20" prints, and too low to replace my 4x5 large format for "big" prints.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1