Leica UK camera trade-in

johnabarbour

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had an interesting conversation with Jakub Szepietowski at Leica Mayfair today. He told me he is the Manager of both Leica Mayfair and Leica City.

I told him that I had bought an SL 601 from Leica Mayfair about 2 years ago - the latest in a long stream of M9, M240, and M10 bodies, plus a number of lenses.

I wanted to part exchange this SL for a new SL2, at £5300

He assured me that Leica had no current interest in taking the SL in part exchange; but that the SL2 was in stock at £5300. As it is around the UK.

I asked him if he thought that indifference represented good customer management; but he clearly had no clue what I was talking about

So, if you are in the process of buying a new Leica: be aware of the appalling level of customer service you might expect in the future.

I recently traded my SL toward an SL2-S and worked with two different Leica stores before moving forward. One originally declined an SL trade because they had too many used SL bodies already. I didn’t think that was bad service, it was understandable. The other store had a standing offer available for trade.

After waiting a week while researching SL2 vs SL2-S, I tried the original store again and they now were willing to do the trade because they had sold a used SL body.

I do not understand the appalling part of your customer service story? Was it simply that they won’t do the exchange? 

• Like 3

So they have poor customer service because they won't buy your old camera? O.....kay.

If that's a measure of their customer service, then mine is the opposite: I wanted to trade in my fairly new SL2 for the new SL2-S. The other Leica dealer in London offered me a lowish price for the SL2, Leica Mayfair offered me an excellent trade-in.

It's not customer service; trading in a used camera makes it a simple traders' market - if the other party doesn't want to trade it's not a reason to throw your toys out of the pram. Take your trade to those other dealers you mention and look for a better offer.  

• Like 5

I offer my own experiences of leica Mayfair; on both sales and service I’ve found them fair, friendly and professional. On service support my M35mm f/2 developed a slight fault; they arranged for collection by UPS the following day, it was sent to Wetzlar and repaired within 3-4 weeks at an acceptable cost. I recently part-exchanged a TL 35mm f/1.4 for a new SL2, and a little used (and mint condition) X-U for a M75mm f/2, both at very agreeable trade in rates (especially the X-U).

I echo the opinion of the others who have posted above. Whenever I’ve needed support under the Leica professional service package Leica Mayfair have been impeccable. They have nearly always been able to provide loaners when I’ve needed them, and with M bodies and lenses have been able to provide repairs in situ or ensure rapid turnaround from Solms.  I’ve no experience with buying or trading in with them, but like others see no reason why they should agree to trade if they have too much stock. It’s also worth knowing that a commission sale will always get you a better deal than a straight trade in. I tend to works with Fforde’s , and have no complaints with them!

Moderator. Would it be an idea to put this thread in a more general forum - and maybe suggest to the OP that he makes the topic title a bit less inflammatory?

• Like 1

I’ve bought several things from Leica stores in London in the last year. Always appreciated their excellent service.

When selling gear, I personally ask around various shops for estimates (on a commission basis), and then make my choice of who i want to use for that particular item. 

If someone didn’t want to take my SL, it’s their choice and I’d simply move on to the next store.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, johnabarbour said:

I had an interesting conversation with Jakub Szepietowski at Leica Mayfair today. He told me he is the Manager of both Leica Mayfair and Leica City.

I told him that I had bought an SL 601 from Leica Mayfair about 2 years ago - the latest in a long stream of M9, M240, and M10 bodies, plus a number of lenses.

I wanted to part exchange this SL for a new SL2, at £5300

He assured me that Leica had no current interest in taking the SL in part exchange; but that the SL2 was in stock at £5300. As it is around the UK.

I asked him if he thought that indifference represented good customer management; but he clearly had no clue what I was talking about

So, if you are in the process of buying a new Leica: be aware of the appalling level of customer service you might expect in the future.

If supply exceeds demand for used SL 601 bodies nobody can reasonably expect a dealer to offer you a good PX deal for an SL2. Put yourself in a dealer's position and ask yourself if would make sense to offer a PX valuation for something you likely cannot sell quickly. Leica Mayfair's customer service is not appalling and your expectations are unreasonable. There are other London dealers who might be interested in a PX deal ... but don't expect them to offer what you expect ... they have to try and sell your SL 601 at a lower price than all the other dealers who have used SL 601 bodies sitting on their shelves. 

If you shop around you'll likely find a satisfactory deal on a used SL2. I have seen used SL2 bodies listed but they fly off the shelves .. whereas an SL601 (priced at c.£1400 ) does not. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

3 hours ago, johnabarbour said:

You seem to be implying that they should be offering the SL2 for less than £5300? If that's the retail price then I don't think they would want to pzzz off other dealers by undercutting them.

I expect the poor chap was bewildered by your attitude. There's no obligation to take a trade-in (and even without getting on to the issue of what a dealer would offer for a used digital camera).

Try some of the other dealers or sell your camera privately.

• Thanks 1

When I had a 0.95 Noctilux that I was desperate to sell (because it was too huge for me) I asked Harrisons of Sheffield to quote. They came back with a very reasonable offer. Meanwhile I had advertised the lens on this forum's classified section and had a better offer. Harrisons sent my lens back very quickly and I was able to sell it to the buyer in Germany. There are alternatives. Not only in terms of geography, but also by using a dedicated user forum.

• jaapv changed the title to Leica UK camera trade-in
55 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

If you shop around you'll likely find a satisfactory deal on a used SL2. I have seen used SL2 bodies listed but they fly off the shelves .. whereas an SL601 (priced at c.£1400 ) does not. 

Which is, basically, a  weird situation. The SL601  is a fantastic camera and for most users the difference to the SL2 is not worth 4000 GBP by any rational measure.

But as I noticed elsewhere, pixels appear to be selling at around 100 GBP apiece 🙄 and in this case about 200....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Which is, basically, a  weird situation. The SL601  is a fantastic camera and for most users the difference to the SL2 is not worth 4000 GBP by any rational measure.

But as I noticed elsewhere, pixels appear to be selling at around 100 GBP apiece 🙄 and in this case about 200....

Used SL 601 cameras can be acquired cheaper than used M9 bodies with Mk II sensors ...  I had a good look at the £1399 SL 601 ... absolute bargain ... I'd buy if did not already have a 5 years young example ... with plenty of life left in it. 

• Like 1

I understand the OPs frustration but as others have said, it's simple economics for the stores although it does not sound to have been sensitively handled. I have yet to see an SL for less than circa. £2000 at any dealer and they aren't fast moving. Weirdly though, any talk of discounting prices (I've been looking for a little while) is met with derision so that's also a reason they don't want to buy - they also don't really want to sell!

High-end products are rarely discounted in my experience. I dislike car comparisons, but I think one is much more likely to get a discount or free accessories on a Toyota Yaris than on a Maserati Quattroporte. The only thing one can hope for is finding a demo, or being sufficiently in the public eye to be eligible for a freebie.

43 minutes ago, jaapv said:

High-end products are rarely discounted in my experience.

I always obtained a discount on Leica lenses from RG Lewis. You just had to ask (though it was usually offered). Rarely an earth shattering discount but even 5% on a Leica lens can be a couple of hundred quid.

Interestingly, the best discount I think I received was given by Leica Mayfair when I bought my silver M-A. It had only arrived in the shop about two days earlier but, because the only body they had available was the one in the display cabinet, they gave me something like a 15% 'ex-display' discount. It seemed a bit unnecessary to me but I didn't complain.

2 hours ago, macboy said:

I understand the OPs frustration but as others have said, it's simple economics for the stores although it does not sound to have been sensitively handled. I have yet to see an SL for less than circa. £2000 at any dealer and they aren't fast moving. Weirdly though, any talk of discounting prices (I've been looking for a little while) is met with derision so that's also a reason they don't want to buy - they also don't really want to sell!

... allegedly ... two sides to a conversation and the other party is not here to defend himself.

And the OP has unreasonable expectations.

Furthermore, if you shop around you'll find SL 601 bodies cheaper than £2K ... a quick Google search reveals three at one UK dealer priced £1399 to £1799 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

... allegedly ... two sides to a conversation and the other party is not here to defend himself.

And the OP has unreasonable expectations.

Furthermore, if you shop around you'll find SL 601 bodies cheaper than £2K ... a quick Google search reveals three at one UK dealer priced £1399 to £1799 

Perhaps I should have been more specific...for less than £2000 that anyone in their right mind would buy.The £1399 looks like it was used to test sandpaper grades and the £1799 one isn't much better. I also have a bias as I have personally had a less than brilliant experience with MPB grading and even with pictures and warranty don't entirely trust they've done anything other than get it out of the box and take a look at it...