Vertical line on picture when camera is cold

Malkolm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all.

I just got a M240 and I noticed a vertical line on some pictures. It seems to react with temperature. I am in Canada, this is winter now.

I did test the camera today. Battery was 100% all the time. I took similar pictures from my backyard at 200, 400, 800 and 1600 ISO. Then I left the camera outside in a plastic bag to get slowly colder. I repeated the pictures after 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes and 90 minutes. We don't see the lines for the first test and also after 30 minutes and 45 minutes. But After 60 minutes the line start to appear (you have to zoom to see it) and it is much stronger after 90 minutes (you clearly see it). When it is there you can see it at all ISO values but seems stronger at 200 than 1600. So to me the temperature seems to be the main factor for this issue.

With the camera back in the house warming up and after processing the pictures, I took another picture and the line is gone. Probably because it is closer to room temperature again.

The temperature outside was about -7C.
Did some of you noticed similar behavior?

Thanks

Is the line at exactly half way across the image?

My M240 shows the same thing if pushed to extremes. It’s because the sensor is wired in two halves as many camera sensors are. 

It doesn’t show under normal circumstances