Leica M6 Shutter Curtain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

Just had my M6 CLA’d due to a light leak around the shutter curtains. They are demonstrating some curling and leave a light leak when a frame is left in the gate for too long. The tech replaces the baffles among other things but I can still see a bit of light at the edges when shining a bright light. He claims that is normal and his other Leicas also have this. Can anyone attest if that is true by checking your shutter curtain edges when shining a bright light inside? 

much obliged!

Boe

17 hours ago, Boreees said:

They are demonstrating some curling and leave a light leak when a frame is left in the gate for too long.

The proof is in the pudding. You get lightleaks on your frames. Obviously that's not "normal" and there shouldn't be any question about it, no matter how the repairman tries to frame it.

If I understand your thread correctly, you have not yet tested the camera with film after its return from the tech?

If so, I think you need to run a roll through it under real life conditions to see if it is fixed. Leica's are not light tight boxes - that is why you should not change lenses in direct sun, for example.

Your test may be too far from a real world scenario if you shine a bright torch from unrealistic angles into a camera with no lens.

3 hours ago, nitroplait said:

If I understand your thread correctly, you have not yet tested the camera with film after its return from the tech?

If so, I think you need to run a roll through it under real life conditions to see if it is fixed. Leica's are not light tight boxes - that is why you should not change lenses in direct sun, for example.

Your test may be too far from a real world scenario if you shine a bright torch from unrealistic angles into a camera with no lens.

This is just rubbish. There should be not be any light visible if you shine a torch around the shutter curtain, if the camera wasn't light tight every frame of film has the potential to be fogged. And changing the lens in full sun is also perfectly OK, I mean what do you think is coming in through the lens all the time, light!

Edited by 250swb

This is just rubbish. There should be not be any light visible if you shine a torch around the shutter curtain, if the camera wasn't light tight every frame of film has the potential to be fogged. And changing the lens in full sun is also perfectly OK, I mean what do you think is coming in through the lens all the time, light!

Well, think what you like, but I could hope for a friendlier tone on this forum, or it could be a short lived relationship on my part.

My M6 has film in it, so I took my MDa and a LED maglite directed in a obtuse angle from above front towards the lower edge of the shutter curtain (without lens mounted). From behind I see a faint strip of light when looking down into the space between the shutter curtain and the "frame" behind the curtain towards the film.

My MDa was cla'd a few years ago by Sherry Krauter and has never displayed any fogging, yet I see light in this very unique situation!

I don't know OP's exact methodology in testing this. If they see a faint light strip like I do under similar circumstances, I suggest to run a roll through the camera in a more realistic use-case to verify if the issue from before the repair persists.

I may add that the M2 actually came out of the box with issues of fogging when changing lenses in bright light (not even direct sunlight). 
most Techs will fix or improve on that as part of a CLA, but many photographers used and lived with this "feature" for years and mitigated with carefull lens change in the shade.

A faint lightstrip as I have described above should be considered normal, and will not affect use.

Besides, if the M camera was light tight Leica would have no reason to write the following in the M6 instructions: Avoid sunlight in the open camera lens mount, using the shade of your body.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nitroplait
including 250swb quote

2 hours ago, nitroplait said:

Well, think what you like, but I could hope for a friendlier tone on this forum, or it could be a short lived relationship on my part.

My M6 has film in it, so I took my MDa and a LED maglite directed in a obtuse angle from above front towards the lower edge of the shutter curtain (without lens mounted). From behind I see a faint strip of light when looking down into the space between the shutter curtain and the "frame" behind the curtain towards the film.

A faint lightstrip as I have described above should be considered normal, and will not affect use.

You may not like the way that Steve voices his opinions but it would be as well to take notice of what he says if not his tone.

If you can see a light strip, however faint, it is time to get something done.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

48 minutes ago, Matlock said:

You may not like the way that Steve voices his opinions but it would be as well to take notice of what he says if not his tone.

If you can see a light strip, however faint, it is time to get something done.

I can see someone could use an impatient tone in response to a new member's ignorance, but it would fare easier if he/she had something sensible, useful or correct to say.

There is no grumpy old man wisdom in his response; on the contrary, he chooses a self-righteous tone to make a point that is wrong - as I illustrated above with the example from Leica's M6 documentation; which  makes me wonder what you think I should take notice of?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion to get something done, but my camera works as it should, so it is not quite the time yet.

Edited by nitroplait

9 minutes ago, nitroplait said:

I can see someone could use an impatient tone in response to a new member's ignorance, but it would fare easier if he/she had something sensible, useful or correct to say.

There is no grumpy old man wisdom in his response; on the contrary, he chooses a self-righteous tone to make a point that is wrong - as I illustrated above with the example from Leica's M6 documentation; which  makes me wonder what you think I should take notice of?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion to get something done, but my camera works as it should, so it is not quite the time yet.

Fine, if you are happy with your camera that is all that matters.

5 hours ago, nitroplait said:

There are a lot of weird theories propounded on the forum, but the idea that the shutter is designed to leak light is absurd. Like it or lump it but if your shutter leaks there is a problem and you shouldn't try to make it a rule and not an exception. It's not being unfriendly, but there is a limit to the amount of weirdness that should be tolerated.

12 hours ago, 250swb said:

There are a lot of weird theories propounded on the forum, but the idea that the shutter is designed to leak light is absurd. Like it or lump it but if your shutter leaks there is a problem and you shouldn't try to make it a rule and not an exception. It's not being unfriendly, but there is a limit to the amount of weirdness that should be tolerated.

A shutter being designed to leak light is not a statement you have heard from me, and would indeed be absurd. 

Deliberately misrepresenting what I said, and ignoring my reference to the Leica documentation which disproves your statement that "changing lens in the sun is perfectly OK" make me suspect you are uninterested in a rational dialogue but rather want to throw toxic dirt.

Fortunately the forum appears to have an "ignore" function which we are both free to use - and I intend to do so.

10 hours ago, madNbad said:

The OP has a photo of the problem in the other thread on the same subject. It looks like the seals are not positioned correctly allowing light to leak through.

You are right. I didn't notice the double post prior to posting here. OP's wording leaves me a little confused but if the example is from a roll shot after the repair, then there is no doubt that the problem isn't fixed.

12 hours ago, nitroplait said:

A shutter being designed to leak light is not a statement you have heard from me, and would indeed be absurd. 

Deliberately misrepresenting what I said, and ignoring my reference to the Leica documentation which disproves your statement that "changing lens in the sun is perfectly OK" make me suspect you are uninterested in a rational dialogue but rather want to throw toxic dirt.

Fortunately the forum appears to have an "ignore" function which we are both free to use - and I intend to do so.

I'll not bother pointing out the fatal flaw in your argument because you can't read it. So good for you, you came with a misconception and you remain with a misconception.

Edit: where do I find the 'ignore' button for you, I've never done it before to anybody else on the forum?

Edited by 250swb

The cloth shutter may get damaged by sunlight if a lens is ON the camera and left for a while pointing at the sun, but a quick lens change would not cause a problem, and a normal good condition shutter (and hence camera) does make it a light-tight box. The author of the M6 guide was being over cautious in my opinion.

Edited by jpattison