new rumor: Sigma 28-70/2,8 contemporary

• 16 elements in 12 groups (2 FLD glass, 2 SLD glass, 3 aspherical lenses)
  • Minimum focusing distance: 0.19m (wide-angle) | 0.38m (telephoto)
  • Maximum shooting magnification 1: 3.3 (wide-angle end) /1: 4.6 (telephoto end)
  • Filter size: 67mm,
  • Dimensions: 72.2 x 101.5mm
  • Weight 470g, $ 899

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://photorumors.com/2021/02/23/this-is-the-new-sigma-28-70mm-f-2-8-dg-dn-contemporary-lens/

Edited by beewee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks quite nice. I am always hesitant to buy any zoom - I've sold my last one 8 years ago - but than every now and then I would like to have one for convinience. In general I prefer primes and don't want to spend e.g. the money on a 24-90 which than heavily competes with my primes and I am in the dilemma which one to take (Still always looking for a steal-deal to then be hesitant enough to pull the trigger that it's gone again ...). At the moment I am pending between "I go for it" or nope, I take another prime. 1st world problems ...

With a price point of 900 Euro and a range of 28-70mm it is very likely that the Sigma is optically very descent, so that I do not feel to lose too much when using it, but on the other hand don't feel bad, with its price, when it sits for weeks in the cupboard. So, a possible sweet spot (beside a used 24-105 Panasonic which also could fit the bill) for the very occasional easy zoom-user.  

A very good Leica 28-70 f2.8 would heavily compete with my 35 and 75SL, the 94-90 would extend the range, but preferable I would currently spend my money on a f2 24 SC-SL or/and a fictive 135 SC-SL - which will not come any time soon, if ever ...  A very good and not tooo huge 28-70 f2 on the other hand, could also be very, very interesting ... but that's a dream. 

Summed up - the Sigma could be very attractive :) 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Daniel C.1975 said:

Looks quite nice. I am always hesitant to buy any zoom - I've sold my last one 8 years ago - but than every now and then I would like to have one for convinience. In general I prefer primes and don't want to spend e.g. the money on a 24-90 which than heavily competes with my primes and I am in the dilemma which one to take (Still always looking for a steal-deal to then be hesitant enough to pull the trigger that it's gone again ...). At the moment I am pending between "I go for it" or nope, I take another prime. 1st world problems ...

With a price point of 900 Euro and a range of 28-70mm it is very likely that the Sigma is optically very descent, so that I do not feel to lose too much when using it, but on the other hand don't feel bad, with its price, when it sits for weeks in the cupboard. So, a possible sweet spot (beside a used 24-105 Panasonic which also could fit the bill) for the very occasional easy zoom-user.  

A very good Leica 28-70 f2.8 would heavily compete with my 35 and 75SL, the 94-90 would extend the range, but preferable I would currently spend my money on a f2 24 SC-SL or/and a fictive 135 SC-SL - which will not come any time soon, if ever ...  A very good and not tooo huge 28-70 f2 on the other hand, could also be very, very interesting ... but that's a dream. 

Summed up - the Sigma could be very attractive :) 

I don't need to add anything cause you summed up my thoughts (better than me😅).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MediaFotografie said:

what do you think, will ii be this Sigma lens in a Summicron-SL style? Or really a total different optical design?

It would be hilarious if Leica licensed the optical formula of the Sigma, repackaged it in a SL lens body, and sold it for $5k. I’m sure someone on here will still buy it.

Edited by beewee
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

vor 4 Stunden schrieb beewee:

It would be hilarious if Leica licensed the optical formula of the Sigma, repackaged it in a SL lens body, and sold it for $5k.

yes...

which makes me wonder: If the rumors are right:
same data (28-70/2.8), same filter size (67mm), same "time" of announcement (ok, Leica will need some weeks or months more)...
and we know that Panasonic owns the patents for 90-280SL and 16-35SL

1 hour ago, MediaFotografie said:

Source?

I know there is a Panasonic patent reported for the 90-280 (I haven't looked for the 16-35), but I cannot find which aspects of the lens are patented. On the other hand, Leica has said explicitly that it was designed and developed in Wetzlar. As with any complex design the truth is probably somewhere between the two: Panasonic may well have provided the OIS and AF input, and Leica the optical input.

Edited by LocalHero1953

41 minutes ago, MediaFotografie said:

yes...

which makes me wonder: If the rumors are right:
same data (28-70/2.8), same filter size (67mm), same "time" of announcement (ok, Leica will need some weeks or months more)...

If I can use Cartier-Bresson words: if they will try to sell us refurbished Sigma lens that will be the decisive moment for the SL system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I know there is a Panasonic patent reported for the 90-280 (I haven't looked for the 16-35), but I cannot find which aspects of the lens are patented.

If I recall correctly, the patent is for some of the mechanical aspects of the design. This indicates that Panasonic may be a sub-contractor, which is nothing to get worked-up about.

I remember back when the Contax 645 came-out. Somebody stated that the lens barrels were made by Mamiya, and stretched that (probable) fact into an assumption that the whole system was Mamiya. Never mind that Mamiya had released their own 645 AF system, and it was nothing like Contax's system. The more likely explanation is that Mamiya had the tooling to build lens barrels of that diameter (bigger than any Japanese-made Zeiss Contax 35mm lenses at the time), and such an arrangement would have worked-out in everybody's favour: Mamiya got paid for extra capacity on their tooling, and Contax/Kyocera didn't have to invest a 7-figure sum to build a few hundred lens barrels per month.

In the end it really doesn't matter. Your German car might have a complete interior built by a French company, who also supply other brands. What matters is the end product. Does it meet your requirements? Is the level of quality in-line with the price you paid?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Source?

I know there is a Panasonic patent reported for the 90-280 (I haven't looked for the 16-35), but I cannot find which aspects of the lens are patented. On the other hand, Leica has said explicitly that it was designed and developed in Wetzlar. As with any complex design the truth is probably somewhere between the two: Panasonic may well have provided the OIS and AF input, and Leica the optical input.

Leica 16-35:

https://leicarumors.com/2018/06/11/leica-super-vario-elmar-sl-16-35mm-f-3-5-4-5-asph-lens-now-shipping-designed-by-konica-minolta.aspx/

https://www.diyphotography.net/patent-shows-the-5500-leica-sl-16-35mm-was-actually-designed-by-konica-minolta/

Here’s the European Patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/EP3327480A1/en?oq=EP.17203629.A

Leica 90-280:

https://leicarumors.com/2016/08/17/leica-apo-vario-elmarit-sl-90-280mm-f2-8-4-lens-designed-by-panasonic.aspx/

Here’s the Japan Patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/JP2016139125A/en?oq=2016-139125

Based on the claims, it looks like both are patents for optical formulas of the lenses.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 2