Battle of the Bulges: Sigma 24-70 versus Vario Elmarit 24-90

augustwest100

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering if anyone has done side by side comparisons of the Sigma L mount 24-70 with the Leica Vario Elmarit 24-90.

I find that I use my Sony a9 mostly as follows:

75% of the time I have the excellent 55mm Sony Zeiss 1.8 on it due to the best balance of size, weight, sharpness, bokeh, every day use

20% of the time I use the excellent zeiss batis 25mm 1.8

5% of the time I think about using my 70-200 f4 Sony or my excellent 24-70 Sony G master f2.8...and then decide I don't really want to carry it around, so I take the 25mm and the 55mm instead and alternate use. This can be a pain when I need to swap them back and forth but is lighter option and sometimes I just take one.

So I am trying to figure out where I would start with a Leica SL2 system, as I only have a Leica M 35 summicron presently:

Go with a 24-90mm Leica Vario Elmarit (costly and heavy) and use my M lens when I want a lighter setup to walk around with.

Go with a Sigma 24-70 for general use, and then put money towards an autofocus Leica 35mm or Leica 50mm.

Neither of these setups will address the 70-200 lens that would be missing, but I rarely used it, so I can do without I think and either pick up a used 135mm manual focus lens, or maybe a 100mm macro lens and crop it.

At any rate, would be nice to get some feedback on the image quality of the Sigma 24-70 as that might help me decide. I am continually trying to choose between the SL2, SL2s and M10r and it doesn't seem to make sense to get the SL2 system without at least one autofocus general purpose lens. Otherwise, might as well just go with the M!

Thanks, all!

I chose the SL (601) a few years ago because of the SL24-90 lens.  It is a core normal zoom without peer IMO.  I moved away from Nikon and Sony in order to build a system around that lens.  I have not tested a Sigma 24-70.  I suspect it's good as I have the 105 1.4 and 35 1.2 Art lenses and they are sensational.  The SL24-90 heavy and well built.  I don't care about the weight because the images are sublime.  It's my pro workhorse.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not the exact comparison you want but I did compare the Panasonic s pro 24-70 f2.8 and Leica 24-90.. apart from looking at the images “as shot” I also did some pixel peeping.. I couldn’t honestly tell much of a difference.. I didn’t test every focal length and aperture combination.. I only care about the quality at its lowest aperture.. in the end I kept the Leica lens for the extra reach and I really only wanted Leica! One promises to be good and the other is definitely good.. 😌 I got a decent deal on a like new lens.. 

just wanted to share although it’s not exactly what you asked 

• Like 2

I am drawn to the prospect of building a system around the 24-90. One of my first SLR film cameras had a 24-70. It feels like going full circle. However, I am afraid that I will avoid taking it with me due to the weight. In such a case I will probably opt for the 35mm or 50mm prime.

Thanks for the feedback though.

On another thread, someone was hinting that the Leica 28-70 f2.8 should be coming out in a few months.. it’s supposedly half in size and weight compared to the 24-90.. also coming at around the same price.. if weight is a real issue for you then you may want to wait for that and preorder right away 😌

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Sigma is actually about 300 grams lighter then the Leica 24-90 and quite a bit more compact. I’m very much impressed with the image quality of the Sigma 24-70. Only things missing are the stabilization and the possibilty to go to 90. Advantage of the Sigma is a constant 2.8 aperture. If you add the gorgeous new Sigma 85mm 1.4, you’re still only at about half the price of the Leica 24-90. I would definately give the Sigma a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leica 24-90 is a beast. I had it. Sold it. Just too heavy for that "one lens" solution. If you are built like a superman, then it can work. I find the claims of L 24-90 being equal to the L primes a bit exaggerated. SL 75 or SL 90 vs. the L 24-90 at 75 and 90mm is not close. At 50MM, I will say, yes, the L vario comes close to the SL 50. 

>Go with a Sigma 24-70 for general use, and then put money towards an autofocus Leica 35mm or Leica 50mm.

This can be a good solution, although I would suggest looking at SL 90 since sigma is already covering 24-70. This way you have a bit more coverage and SL 90 is a dream lens. 

I am continually trying to choose between the SL2, SL2s and M10r and it doesn't seem to make sense to get the SL2 system without at least one autofocus general purpose lens. Otherwise, might as well just go with the M!

Skip the M. Go with SL2. An even better move might be to go with one of Panasonic bodies (used). With the money saved, get SL primes. You can always sell the used body later without taking a big hit and get the SL2 later. SL2 prices are also dropping in the used market with mint condition going for approx. $4,600 from private sellers with good ratings on a very popular photo forum. Some of them are even under Leica warranty.

Edited by ravinj
  • Thanks 1

I’m a convert to the 24-90. If stopped using DSLRs for general use (too big / too heavy) and used M only for years.  However, somehow the 24-90’s balance on the SL2 just feels right, and the images it allows are without equal.  When you consider the fact that it gives you 6 key focal lengths at near / as good as prime quality AND that in my experience shooting wider M glass on SL isn’t brilliant, if you can manage it I’d definitely use it as the foundation of an L mount system. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, augustwest100 said:

I am drawn to the prospect of building a system around the 24-90. One of my first SLR film cameras had a 24-70. It feels like going full circle. However, I am afraid that I will avoid taking it with me due to the weight. In such a case I will probably opt for the 35mm or 50mm prime.

Thanks for the feedback though.

35+50 will be heavier together than 24-90. Honestly this zoom get such a bad press for this I dont understand, but then again I am not even 30yo.

My SL2+24-90 system is lighter to carry (and oh so much more practical w/o lens swap) than my M9+21/35/50/90.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I delayed handling the Leica 24-90 due to the weight issue mentioned in the forum. Eventually I tried it out, just a superb purchase. Blows my Japanese made 24-70 f2.8 lens away! I have just added the 90-280. That mounted to the SL is about a 100 gms more than, the same Japanese made 70-200 f2.8. fitted to a D810. Just gave the name away. I don’t think weight issue is really mentioned about that other brand. Again the quality of the Leica lens is just in another world. I carry the SL and both zoom lenses in a back pack. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leicamr said:

I delayed handling the Leica 24-90 due to the weight issue mentioned in the forum. Eventually I tried it out, just a superb purchase. Blows my Japanese made 24-70 f2.8 lens away! I have just added the 90-280. That mounted to the SL is about a 100 gms more than, the same Japanese made 70-200 f2.8. fitted to a D810. Just gave the name away. I don’t think weight issue is really mentioned about that other brand. Again the quality of the Leica lens is just in another world. I carry the SL and both zoom lenses in a back pack. 

I agree the SL+ zoom is similar in size and weight to Nikon’s closest equivalents. The reason the 24-90’s size and weight got so much press is when it was introduced there were no smaller native lenses.

It was also not long after Sony began selling the a7 smaller FF bodies and that always gets positive attention, whether logical or not. Often the total system weight is ignored or people claim to want high resolution bodies with lighter and lower quality lenses.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LD_50 said:

I agree the SL+ zoom is similar in size and weight to Nikon’s closest equivalents. The reason the 24-90’s size and weight got so much press is when it was introduced there were no smaller native lenses.

It was also not long after Sony began selling the a7 smaller FF bodies and that always gets positive attention, whether logical or not. Often the total system weight is ignored or people claim to want high resolution bodies with lighter and lower quality lenses.

+1 on this as a Sony a9 user looking to switch to the SL2S. The size and weight of the a9 with the 24-70 2.8 is almost the same as the size and weight of the SL2S and the 24-90, and is almost exactly the same as the SL2S with the Sigma 24-70 2.8. I even added a little hand grip piece to the Sony a9 to get a better hold, and that adds some weight as well. The a9 with the 24-70 is actually “top heavy” (meaning, lens heavy), while the SL2S with the 24-90 actually felt better balanced, at least in the brief time I held one so far!

I just saw that, thanks!  I think on paper this is exactly what I was looking for, assuming that the Leica equivalent will be around $5K! It even has a wee bit of macro ability with the close focus distance, though not a 1:1 reproduction ratio.

I think that Sigma standard zoom was my first lens on my old film Nikon, so I will now be going full circle!

Thanks for the heads up! 

Money, I think I’ll be saving you for a Leica prime, either M or L!