Death Row and the Gallos

Likaleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Idaho State Penitentiary 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3

• Like 3

• Like 3

• Like 2

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Definitely sobering images.  I've been a long time financial supporter of the Innocence Project which has freed hundreds of falsely convicted prisoners (they were the lucky ones).   One question we all have and no one can answer is how many innocent lives have been taken over the decades in the name of justice - prior to the invention of DNA analysis?  Thanks for posting your images.  They are riveting to say the least.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jaapv said:

How did you manage to smuggle your camera into your cell?

Hilarious!  Jaap, as you can see it had snowed so I was the only one there (weekday etc).  Very eerie.  When I left, the large, heavy metal door to the yard (the only entry/exit) was jammed shut.  It would not budge no matter how hard I pushed, and for a split second I had a small sense of what it would be like to be incarcerated there.  Kind of a Twilight Zone thing.  I had to ring a bell and wait for an attendant to unjam the door.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ropo54 said:

A bit gruesome, but your photos capture that sense. 

Thanks, Rob.  

13 hours ago, Leica28 said:

Definitely sobering images.  I've been a long time financial supporter of the Innocence Project which has freed hundreds of falsely convicted prisoners (they were the lucky ones).   One question we all have and no one can answer is how many innocent lives have been taken over the decades in the name of justice - prior to the invention of DNA analysis?  Thanks for posting your images.  They are riveting to say the least.  

Thank you.  The Innocence Project sounds like a worthy cause.  I'm in favor of removing people who are clearly guilty of heinous crimes (such as rape of or mass murder of children) from the taxpayers' burden, but many of these are sent to their maker by other inmates in rather inhumane ways.  We often take care of prison inmates and I remember taking care of Arthur Gary Bishop in 1983 for attempted suicide (he admitted to 5 counts of rape and murder of young boys (bludgeoned)).  I closed the door so that I was alone with him and told him where and how deep to cut himself next time, but he had no more attempts.  I asked a subsequent murderer about Bishop and he responded, "Oh, don't worry.  We'll get him."  They didn't.  He had his lethal injection 5 years later.

4 hours ago, petermullett said:

Yet another very interesting folio of work from you Tim.

Thanks, Peter.  I've lived here 30 years and this was my first visit.  Many of the buildings are constructed from sandstone, giving it an "old world" feel.  

What depresses me about the death penalty is that man is capable of the crimes that send him to death row.  Without going into detail, if someone gleefully commits unspeakable atrocities, I see no reason that society should spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to allow him to live.  Which is worse: a life in solitary confinement or death?