Advice for those thinking of a M240 in 2021

UltraDan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

Thanks, but if you could only pick one camera and lens (FL given if Q/Q2) for personal photography of moments to be remembered of your family?

Damn, good question.

I’d say that if I HAD to choose only 1, it would be a tight race between my Q or my MD262 and 35 Summicron. 

The Q because it’s easy, great IQ and I love the 28mm focal length on it. Plus you can get in really close and it has autofocus so you don’t have to think. It’s easy to shoot and the results are awesome. 

The MD because I feel like I would hate to NOT have an M experience. I’d get bored of the Q I think - it’s too easy. And I love the “photography” focus of the MD. No choices, no settings, no screen, no distractions. It’s all about photography. 

10 minutes ago, bcapphoto said:

Damn, good question.

I’d say that if I HAD to choose only 1, it would be a tight race between my Q or my MD262 and 35 Summicron. 

The Q because it’s easy, great IQ and I love the 28mm focal length on it. Plus you can get in really close and it has autofocus so you don’t have to think. It’s easy to shoot and the results are awesome. 

The MD because I feel like I would hate to NOT have an M experience. I’d get bored of the Q I think - it’s too easy. And I love the “photography” focus of the MD. No choices, no settings, no screen, no distractions. It’s all about photography. 

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I’m currently on Q2Mono but now starting to think about a M again 😉 Don’t know what to do from here… And the Q2M is amazing btw. 😊

On 9/2/2021 at 5:15 PM, bcapphoto said:

Just stumbled upon this thread. Didn’t read the whole thing, but I thought I’d offer a somewhat differing opinion and point of view. 

Cameras stopped being the bottleneck and limiting factor for 80% of what I do as a full-time professional wedding and portrait photographer about 10 years ago. Anything since then has been “want” and not “need,” and to optimize that 20% (like AF speed and ISO).

Ive done dozens of billboards, printed hundreds of wall portraits up yo 40x60 and made beautiful albums up to 10x15 all out of a camera with less than 24-26MP. Many out of an APS-C camera. Never had a problem. 

I’d argue for non-professional photographers, a camera from 10 years ago won’t make much difference than a camera from 10 days ago. At some point it’s diminishing returns, and a great image maker can make a great image regardless of their gear. 

To that end, the M shooting experience is an inspirational one, and if that breeds creativity and passion, that’s why we do it. But it very likely doesn’t limit what we can do as photographers, even if it is 7 or 8 years old. 

This over generalization on cameras from different times needs one specific correction.

Even 10 days ago APS-C camera needs flash if you are indoors, objects are moving and you want them all and have to use f5.6 at least, if not f8.

While FF camera from two years ago will let you do it without flash and still get acceptable results.. Doesn't matter if it is done by so called non-professional or by someone who knows deep secret of how to feed family of four by using of camera.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

This over generalization on cameras from different times needs one specific correction.

Even 10 days ago APS-C camera needs flash if you are indoors, objects are moving and you want them all and have to use f5.6 at least, if not f8.

While FF camera from two years ago will let you do it without flash and still get acceptable results.. Doesn't matter if it is done by so called non-professional or by someone who knows deep secret of how to feed family of four by using of camera.

Sorry, just to clarify what you’re saying, so I can properly form some input on the conversation - do you mean that in order to shoot with an APS-C camera indoors, you need flash? And if that is the case, are you suggesting that an APS-C camera doesn’t work all that well with flash?

On 9/3/2021 at 11:40 AM, mcpallesen said:

Thanks, but if you could only pick one camera and lens (FL given if Q/Q2) for personal photography of moments to be remembered of your family?

If I had to choose only one it would be a 50mm lens.  I typically shoot with my Q at 28mm or my M with a 75mm lens.   If I need longer I break out the DSLR.  The 50 would be a compromise between the 28 and the 75 that I use most often.  Prior to getting my Leicas I used a 24-70 zoom as my primary lens.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

Sorry, just to clarify what you’re saying, so I can properly form some input on the conversation - do you mean that in order to shoot with an APS-C camera indoors, you need flash? And if that is the case, are you suggesting that an APS-C camera doesn’t work all that well with flash?

I made it clear. With all necessary details. Read one more time if you can't get it at first time.

Also on your mocking on so called non-professionals. Ten years old cameras doesn't have as good as two years AF to help with face, eye recognition, tracking. Including animals eye. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I made it clear. With all necessary details. Read one more time if you can't get it at first time.

Also on your mocking on so called non-professionals. Ten years old cameras doesn't have as good as two years AF to help with face, eye recognition, tracking. Including animals eye. 

I think you may be reading my post with the wrong intent. I didn't mock non-professionals; I was just suggesting that often it's not the camera that is the limitation. Cameras from 10 days ago and 10 years ago are both typically far more than any photographer would or should need for 80% of their shooting. Always chasing the latest and greatest rarely leads to better photography. Instead, I was encouraging the OP (and others who followed) to grab a camera that inspires them (no matter how old it is) and master their craft. 

23 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

If I'm reading this comment right, you're suggesting that you'd need a flash to shoot indoors and that an APS-C camera cannot be used indoors with flash. Neither of those points are quite simply not accurate - I shoot 99% of the time indoors with an APS-C camera without a flash and have 0 problems!

• Like 1

Just my two cents, but I read through this whole thread and others before pulling the trigger on the M-P 240 I got the other day.  I considered the pros and cons, and with the camera being in its original packaging and well taken care of I went with it even though I did have some doubts.  I looked at tons of images taken with different lenses and I couldn't come up with a good enough reason not to get it.  Sure, it's not the latest technology, but it has what I need.  An M10-R isn't in the budget right now and this one should be fine until I think I need to upgrade.

As for needing flash on an APS-C indoors, doesn't it depend on available light and what you're trying to shoot?  I've used my CL on interior shots and for those I don't use flash if there is enough light.  For shooting a portrait or other subject  sometimes I do use fill flash.  It just depends.  For that matter, I use fill flash for automotive shots sometimes outdoors if it's needed.  I just don't think you can say that using a flash is a 100% necessity at any given time.  It mostly depends on the circumstance and conditions.  

• 4 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 1:19 PM, UltraDan said:

Just to be clear Martin, "stirring things up" in your view is giving an honest opinion on a camera someone has owned and used? Without wanting to blow my own trumpet I have owned and shot all of the top digital cameras that have been available in the last 5 years so I feel that I have a right to pass an opinion on the M240. If I wanted to "stir things up" I'd have said something like : if you take the Leica badge off this camera you would be left with a camera that is extremely dated with image and iso performance that is massively behind where we are currently and since I posted the original piece as advice for anyone considering buying the camera TODAY, not 9 years ago, again I think my opinion is valid : by today's standards it's not a great way to spend £2.5k unless you are only interested in joining the majority of Leica owners who seem to want to walk around with a trophy round their neck that screams "look how f@cking rich I am" you know one thing that I noticed - searching 500px and Instagram there is a huge lack of decent pictures taken on this camera, that in itself speaks volumes. 

😀

Me thinks, you just ain't a Leica Man. Go, my friend, seek your treasures elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 1:19 PM, UltraDan said:

...unless you are only interested in joining the majority of Leica owners who seem to want to walk around with a trophy round their neck that screams "look how f@cking rich I am..."

Oh, good - just what we need.  Another Richard.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

On 2/14/2021 at 5:54 PM, andybarton said:

There is nothing wrong with the M240 metering system. 

It doesn’t have 459,900 zones or whenever Sony are offering this week. 

I look nervously at mine old m246 and one zone, manual and self-propelled light metering system ;) :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 7:56 PM, jdlaing said:

The reason I say that is the guy hasn’t been here in over 6 months.

The good thing with most internet trolls is the fact that they usually do not stay around in the long run. Most are just out for some quick "drive-by shooting". 🙂

• Like 3

He’s been missing because of the hostility I guess.. bullying members who are amateurs/beginners/pros (irrespective of their rank) should not be what this forum is about.. there are several respectful ways to disagree with an opinion, educate the OP after trying to see things from the OPs perspective.. unfortunately, he didn’t seem welcome in a place with an opinion (even if it’s incorrect) where there are people with abundant knowledge.. I wish the admins would discourage bullying, demeaning, derogatory comments too.. there are so many ways to invalidate someone’s opinion respectfully.  

1 hour ago, aksclix said:

He’s been missing because of the hostility I guess.. bullying members who are amateurs/beginners/pros (irrespective of their rank) should not be what this forum is about.. there are several respectful ways to disagree with an opinion, educate the OP after trying to see things from the OPs perspective.. unfortunately, he didn’t seem welcome in a place with an opinion (even if it’s incorrect) where there are people with abundant knowledge.. I wish the admins would discourage bullying, demeaning, derogatory comments too.. there are so many ways to invalidate someone’s opinion respectfully.  

Did not see any bullying, but perhaps I missed somehing?

(If any derogatory comments it was more from the other side.)