Advice for those thinking of a M240 in 2021

UltraDan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, UltraDan said:

Because I love shooting my Analog M? It's a system that was brought out 80 yrs ago and because of that and the nature of film (36 shots per roll) I feel it works wonderfully to slow things down and be precise. With the digital M I personally found that that same shooting experience didn't transfer at all, bar the focussing the experience of taking a shot was completely different, no magic, just a clunky way of taking pics that required multiple retakes to hit the exposure (granted that was likely my fault) all in all I felt that if your gonna take digital pics just use all of the the technology available to you - especially if you are gonna pay such a high cost. Also I have an EOS 1, great camera but again for analog I'm more than happy to shoot my M with all of its good and bad points. 

My question was more than a bit rhetorical of course. I share your enthusiasm for the film Ms. But while you may well be right that an M240 is no bargain compared to a much cheaper and more sophisticated digital, much the same could be said for our favourite rangefinders. Your EOS-1 is by most definitions far more capable than any film M, with a much wider range of shutter speeds, a more sophisticated meter, fast AF and a built-in winder. And it costs a fraction of the price of an M (though it was probably in the same range when it was first made). And there are other options for that old fashioned analogue magic too.This morning I was checking the meter of a new (to me) camera against an old one. Each camera has pretty basic and quite similar specifications including a mechanical shutter speed range of 1-1/1000s, manual focusing, manual film wind, a self timer, and not much else. They are both the products of venerable optics companies with histories that go back over a century, are built to a quality that can last a lifetime, and are compatible with some superb lenses that have been used to take legendary pictures. The old one is my M6. The new arrival is a Nikon FM, which cost about 5% of the replacement price of my Leica.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, Liveview said:

To me, the M240 is the perfect camera, I also have a Leica M2 that I loved, so it is the perfect combo.

To be honest, if you don´t shoot pro, the M240 is more than enough, or any other camera from 5 years ago, but the Leica M range cameras give something the other camera brands don´t offer, is just I use it more often than any other cameras I had previously.  

If I could add my two-penneth...

I use and own an M240 and an M6, and a couple of Nikon F’s: an FM2n and an FM3a. 
I like ‘shooting’ wide using the 50mm f1.4 lux and the Nikkor 50mm f1.2, respectfully.
I hit focus far more often with the RFs than with the SLRs. Back focus can be a problem but LV on the M240 is a great help. The problem with the SLRs is that the focusing screen cannot discriminate focus between f2.8 or wider, eg f1.2, even though both are fitted with the K3 screen.
RFs and SLRs are different tools and I use them appropriately, and sometimes as the mood takes me.
I would say the FM3a is a good alternative to the M7 in terms of having aperture priority, with the bonus that the FM3a it can be used with or without the battery offering full shutter speeds.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, UltraDan said:

So I wanted to offer some advice to anyone considering buying a M240 in 2021. Having just parted with mine I can say that it is a lovely camera that has good image quality, but only good quality, I would compare the quality to a canon 5D Mark 2. I would say that if you are coming from an APSC crop sensor you will really notice and like the image this camera makes however if you are coming from a 5Dmk2/3/4 or any of the last 4 years Sony body's you will be disappointed and probably extremely disappointed with the ISO performance. 

So on the subject of ISO, 1600 is about max that you'd want to use after that the image deteriorates pretty quick. 

The camera does offer the Leica rangefinder experience but for me as someone who shoots an M4-P I found it was actually slower to make pictures and this is due to the rear screen that really makes judging the image exposure hard. 
The camera is also quite a bit wider than my Analog Leica. 

One huge positive is you can use your STUNNING Leica glass on it and that really helps the image quality. 

So in summary a beautiful camera that takes some great images but is very much lacking by today's technology standards as you can expect from a camera of this age, my personal opinion is that if you are looking for a digital Leica, you need to be using the current top range of cameras if you are coming from canon/Nikon or especially Sony which is king in image quality and low light performance especially when considering price. 

I hope this helps anyone deciding wether or not to pull the pin on one. 

As you say it is a combination of both camera sensor and glass. I also would not automatically disqualify APS-C-sensors/cameras like you do. You can get fantastic images with a modern APS-C-camera with the right optimized lenses of high quality.

All this said, shooting with a range finder is not (just) about image quality, but as much as with the whole experience and feeling.

Photography is one part craft/science/engineering, but also one (big) part heart/feeling/art.

If it was just down to pure IQ (as you allude to), you could select camera gear by dxomark (or something similar).

On 4/15/2021 at 2:27 PM, UltraDan said:

"If one accepts the limited ISO (1600) and extra 3mm in thickness, the M240 is a bargain."

Used Leica M240 = £2400 upwards

used 5Dmk 2 = £250 upwards

I personally rate the colours, image quality and Iso of the 5D2 to be superior in all cases so your idea of a "bargain" is laughable for me personally. 

I think you missed all that has been said.

For me it is not either or.

I have Nikon SLRs (and like Canon gear as well), digital mirrorless cameras (Fujifilm), but still enjoy my M-240. 

For me photography is not only about IQ. It is about liking the tools you use. If you love and connect with your gear, you will also likely increase the quality of your art.

I even like to use my phone for pictures some times (when it is handy), and also like analog instant pictures (Instax, Polaroid).

A camera, and camera system, have more qualities than just sensor quality. It is important (just like film quality is on analog cameras), but is just one small bit of puzzle in the whole picture or equation.

Edited by martinot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:22 PM, UltraDan said:

Because I love shooting my Analog M? It's a system that was brought out 80 yrs ago and because of that and the nature of film (36 shots per roll) I feel it works wonderfully to slow things down and be precise.

Now we start to get somewhere. Finally.

This is the exact same reason why Iove using my M240. ❤️

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Except that DXO only measures a number of parameters and not the quality. There is much more contributing to the image.

Totally agree! I personally do not put much value to DXO at all. Even IQ is a lot more than that. It was just an example (and I agree perhaps not the best one).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

Is it the tones? Same/different lenses?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This was taken with the M240 / 35mm Summicron V5

In the next post is the same picture / same processing taken with the Z6II / 24-70 F4 S

• Like 2

This one taken with a Nikon Z6ii / 24-70f4 S

Both very similar, but there is something about the M240 image that I prefer.  It might be the warmth of the colors rendered.

Edited by CaseyS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CaseyS said:

This one taken with a Nikon Z6ii / 24-70f4 S

Both very similar, but there is something about the M240 image that I prefer.  It might be the warmth of the colors rendered.

Thanks.  I have to say I agree.

• 3 months later...

Such a huge LOL :)  

This thread is first return for Google search "Leica M 240 in 2021" !

Guess what, I have Canon 5D MKII. On the second one. Sold first one because it was "meh" after 5D unique rendering. Got second one years later as buy out from our daughter quit on paid photography. With two heavy and large L zooms.

I have total confidence in 5D MK II as long lasting, reliable and versatile photography tool.  It is huge and so are L lenses. Its battery over lasts M 240 battery. 

But... Every time I put any of those L zooms on 5D MK II... I just can't handle it anymore. It is way too bulky and heavy for my photography. You know, one bag for all and everyday. Commute at work and take pictures on streets. Walk with crazy dog, hike with kids. Visiting family friends, sitting by the busy table full of food and else.  

Huge 5D MKII just doesn't belongs to it. I enjoy it, but not my neck and it spooks pedestrians, difficult to find space for while you are siting by the party table. And it takes much more space in daily bag.

In fact I went for this google search, because I keep on considering M240 since 2015 or so. It is still most practical digital M for my activities listed above. I don't need M10 high ISO for criminal scene reports, not I'm thrilled with M10 battery capacity. Low capacity batteries are going zilch in no time under snowy weather. 

In 2016 I was gifted with one of the last new M-E 220. Otherwise, I was set for used M240 for my own money. But M-E 220 is same in terms of batteries capacity and overall feel. It is cute, but I just can't toss it into daily camera bag as often as I would. It doesn't seems to be as robust as M240 series cameras are. IMO. 

I see nothing wrong with M 240 in 2021, to be honest. Just like any M, it is not the perfect tool, nor advanced camera. But personally, I'm finding it attractive and good match for my activities. I'm getting periodically greeted by strangers while wearing M. :)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just stumbled upon this thread. Didn’t read the whole thing, but I thought I’d offer a somewhat differing opinion and point of view. 

Cameras stopped being the bottleneck and limiting factor for 80% of what I do as a full-time professional wedding and portrait photographer about 10 years ago. Anything since then has been “want” and not “need,” and to optimize that 20% (like AF speed and ISO).

Ive done dozens of billboards, printed hundreds of wall portraits up yo 40x60 and made beautiful albums up to 10x15 all out of a camera with less than 24-26MP. Many out of an APS-C camera. Never had a problem. 

I’d argue for non-professional photographers, a camera from 10 years ago won’t make much difference than a camera from 10 days ago. At some point it’s diminishing returns, and a great image maker can make a great image regardless of their gear. 

To that end, the M shooting experience is an inspirational one, and if that breeds creativity and passion, that’s why we do it. But it very likely doesn’t limit what we can do as photographers, even if it is 7 or 8 years old. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, bcapphoto said:

Just stumbled upon this thread. Didn’t read the whole thing, but I thought I’d offer a somewhat differing opinion and point of view. 

Cameras stopped being the bottleneck and limiting factor for 80% of what I do as a full-time professional wedding and portrait photographer about 10 years ago. Anything since then has been “want” and not “need,” and to optimize that 20% (like AF speed and ISO).

Ive done dozens of billboards, printed hundreds of wall portraits up yo 40x60 and made beautiful albums up to 10x15 all out of a camera with less than 24-26MP. Many out of an APS-C camera. Never had a problem. 

I’d argue for non-professional photographers, a camera from 10 years ago won’t make much difference than a camera from 10 days ago. At some point it’s diminishing returns, and a great image maker can make a great image regardless of their gear. 

To that end, the M shooting experience is an inspirational one, and if that breeds creativity and passion, that’s why we do it. But it very likely doesn’t limit what we can do as photographers, even if it is 7 or 8 years old. 

Very good advice. Having shot (in Leica space, before that Nikon) Q -> M262 -> M246 -> Q-P -> Q2 Mono, and now considering whether I need a M again in my life. What would be the shane choice?

M10/M10R or M240/M262/M-D (🙂) or M10M?

Mainly shooting mono and over all want to shoot as close as possible to SOOC and least possible PP.

2 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

Very good advice. Having shot (in Leica space, before that Nikon) Q -> M262 -> M246 -> Q-P -> Q2 Mono, and now considering whether I need a M again in my life. What would be the shane choice?

M10/M10R or M240/M262/M-D (🙂) or M10M?

Mainly shooting mono and over all want to shoot as close as possible to SOOC and least possible PP.

Just depends on what you're looking for and what you want to spend! Any of them would do the trick for most photographers though! 

18 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

Just depends on what you're looking for and what you want to spend! Any of them would do the trick for most photographers though! 

Thanks, but if you could only pick one camera and lens (FL given if Q/Q2) for personal photography of moments to be remembered of your family?