Leica R4 Battery Draining

benjaminr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I recently purchased a Leica R4 with the Ever Ready case but I have been running into the problem that the case seems to be activating the meter by pushing one of the buttons and draining the battery. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem is has found a fix so I don't remove the batteries every time I am done shooting.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Not the exact same thing... but I had a used R8 that would drain the battery on its own, without a case or anything around it, so I sent it back (I was still within the return window). If you can, do the same thing. It's probably a failure in the electronics and Leica may or not be able to repair the camera. From what I know, they still look at them but they may decide not to work on it due to lack of parts or some other reason.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

The R4 seems to be famous for its intricate electronics and when something goes wrong (not so strange after so many years) usually it can't be fixed anymore. My R4 has no problem, I don't use it very often but when I want to it functions as it should. No battery drainage.

Take it out of its case and check if the problems continues. If so, I am afraid there may be a problem as mentioned in the previous post.

Good luck, Lex

7 hours ago, sandro said:

The R4 seems to be famous for its intricate electronics and when something goes wrong (not so strange after so many years) usually it can't be fixed anymore. My R4 has no problem, I don't use it very often but when I want to it functions as it should. No battery drainage.

Take it out of its case and check if the problems continues. If so, I am afraid there may be a problem as mentioned in the previous post.

Good luck, Lex

Agreed. You've first got to identify categorically whether it's a physical problem with the case activating the camera in an unwanted fashion, or whether it's an electronic problem. Use it without the case for a few weeks, and hope that the problem goes away! Good luck!

Its been a while since I made this so I have be ae done some further testing since then. The problem seems to physical one, as when I leave the top of the case off everything is fine. The strange thing about the problem, and why I think it is the case pushing on a button, is when I leave the camera with the case on for a few hours, after I take the case off, the meter keeps going until I press the mode select button, almost like something the case is doing is locking the meter on.

From your remarks it seems a twofold problem. First there is the case that turns on the meter, something you don't want. Secondly it seems the meter keeps going on once it has been activated. Did you take the camera out of its case and check if the meter continues to work after you turned it on once and then left alone for a while?

Lex