Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 35mm f/2 Aspherical VM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Speaking of lens hoods... the hood recommended for the AL 35 is the same as the one for the AL 50... and no extra charge for the additional unwanted vignetting on the 35.

The vignetting in both of those lenses is a tad bothersome.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are shooting with SL series or Sigma fp cameras, a macro M-L adapter is a versatile accessory with both the 50 and 35 CV Apo-Lanthar. I cannot see an optical performance hit with the 35, which will get down to approximately 25cm with a 5mm extension on the helicoid. The rotation of the adapter to get close is a very short throw - the two step action might actually be easier than the long rotation throw reported to get the Leica Apo-Summicron 35 down from 50 to 30cm. I mounted the Apo-Lant

M10-R + CV 35 APO at f/2 near minimum focus distance: Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!   Crop (click on image to see sharper version – the inline forum previews are soft): Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Sharp and soft... Apo-Lanthar 35 on Leica SL (601) Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stephen.s1 said:

Speaking of lens hoods... the hood recommended for the AL 35 is the same as the one for the AL 50... and no extra charge for the additional unwanted vignetting on the 35.

Yes, definitely there, but also easy to correct on the DNG in Lightroom or Camera Raw when not wanted. (spoken of the 50... I have received the 35 but have not mounted it yet. I expect vignetting to be similar to the 50).

On 3/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, Rob L said:

The silver ring is intended to be a durable material that will stand up to constant mounting and removal of the bayonet hood. I only see it as a problem for those that do not use a hood or a filter, in which case it can cause ring flare in certain situations. One solution might be a filter with glass removed or a step up ring, which would provide some protection to the front of the lens. 49-55 works well.

I always use a lens hood, so any possible reflection is a non-issue.  Even if the lens is butt-ugly, if it's functional I don't care. Optical quality is my first priority. I can tolerate vignetting if the MTF / micro-contrast / sharpness to the edges are good. And $7000 vs Leica still makes the APO-Lanthar 35/2 a no-brainer, especially with no focus shift. 

1 hour ago, microview said:

Wonder which is the optimum lens setting in M10 menu: v2 Summicron or Summilux FLE? Or would neither make any real difference?

Canon made the same compromises on the RF 50 f/1.2 – leaving the vignetting uncorrected allows them to make the lens sharp corner-to-corner wide open. So pick your preference I guess: $8K for the Leica APO with less vignetting but less sharp corners wide open – or the CV APO for $7K less with more vignetting and sharper corners wide open. If you're someone that often adds vignetting to an image for artistic purposes, then the CV makes a lot of sense. I remember there was a time that when printing your b&w images, it was taught that burning in the edges was a requirement for finishing the print.

When I shoot the CVs, I use a corresponding Leica lens profile anyway, which removes the vignetting from the preview on the rear LCD Live View (or in the EVF Visoflex), which makes getting an accurate exposure easier when shooting wide open. If you leave the vignetting uncorrected on the CV, it's easy to accidentally overexpose the center of the frame.

M10-R + CV 35 APO at f/2 near minimum focus distance:

Crop (click on image to see sharper version – the inline forum previews are soft):

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One more. M10-R + CV 35 APO at f/2 near minimum focus distance:

Crop (click on image to see sharper version and click again to magnify – the inline forum previews are soft):

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

One more. M10-R + CV 35 APO at f/2 near minimum focus distance:

Crop (click on image to see sharper version and click again to magnify – the inline forum previews are soft):

Damn near as good as it gets.  That's the reason my lens count is 5 to 1; Voightlander  to Leica.

4 hours ago, Stephen.s1 said:

Damn near as good as it gets.  That's the reason my lens count is 5 to 1; Voightlander  to Leica.

Yeah,  the combination of the M10R sensor with the CV APOs is just mind-bending — Resolving power reminds me of the GFX 50R with native GF lenses — Really that good.

Regarding Leica versus CV, I feel the same way. I’ve returned the two Leicas I tried (50 Summicron-M, 50 Lux BC) and kept all the Voightlanders (35 1.2 III, APO 35/50, and 75 1.5). The Voigtlander 50 1.5 black/nickel or 50 1.2 are on my radar next. Ergonomically, the Voigtlander M lenses feel like miniature versions of the Zeiss ZE/ZF “Classic” lenses for Canon/Nikon, which I loved.

Am 27.3.2021 um 09:22 schrieb otto.f:

I’m more interested in whether the APO Lanthar is astoundingly better than the Ultron 35/2.0. I don’t see this yet, at all.

Maybe someone owns both lenses and can give us a comparison.

Here is a look at the level of apochromatic correction of the VM Apo-Lanthar 35 at f2. This image is a cropped jpeg at 100%, using a macro M-L adapter on the Sigma fp to bring close focus to within 10" of the ruler. The camera is hand held at 1/60 to avoid banding from the LED lighting in my office. 

Thought it might be worth mentioning that both the CV 35 APO and CV 35 1.2 III (pictured below) have an LCD/EVF minimum focus ability down to 0.5m; however, they both will rangefinder focus on the M10-R down to just under 0.6m before they uncouple. I was under the impression the rangefinder uncoupled right below 0.7m, so I was pleasantly surprised.

If you are shooting with SL series or Sigma fp cameras, a macro M-L adapter is a versatile accessory with both the 50 and 35 CV Apo-Lanthar. I cannot see an optical performance hit with the 35, which will get down to approximately 25cm with a 5mm extension on the helicoid. The rotation of the adapter to get close is a very short throw - the two step action might actually be easier than the long rotation throw reported to get the Leica Apo-Summicron 35 down from 50 to 30cm. I mounted the Apo-Lanthar 35 for the first time yesterday and took a few hundred exposures around my workplace using f2, f2.8 and f 5.6, all of which have a circular diaphragm opening. (The photo of the lenses and macro-adapter is taken with the Sigma 24 f3.5 dg dn)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Thought it might be worth mentioning that both the CV 35 APO and CV 35 1.2 III (pictured below) have an LCD/EVF minimum focus ability down to 0.5m; however, they both will rangefinder focus on the M10-R down to just under 0.6m before they uncouple. I was under the impression the rangefinder uncoupled right below 0.7m, so I was pleasantly surprised.

That's pretty good. Unfortunately, I won't be trading in my M10 for an M10R anytime soon. 

Edited by lecycliste

Is this a worthy upgrade from the CV 35mm f1.2 V2? I’ve never felt that it lacked sharpness, and the bokeh is absolutely phenomenal. And my favorite Sony FE lens is the 65mm APO Lanthar lens. I love the sharpness. I’m torn between getting the 50mm APO Lanthar or the 35mm APO Lanthar for my M240

Posted (edited)

Well I certainly recommend the 50mm lens without reservation. I bought the 35mm as well, the moment it was available. After the initial excitement I am not so sure: yes it has all the qualities noted above, but I now can see a certain flatness to the images – certainly when referenced against the Q2, and even my old 35 f2.8 resolves pretty closely to the VC but suggests more solidity.

In this dingy corner of my London garden at around 5pm you can see the rust details (at 100% view) of the rusty cage just as you might with the90 macro with magnifier

Edited by microview
typo!
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Davidthefat said:

Is this a worthy upgrade from the CV 35mm f1.2 V2? I’ve never felt that it lacked sharpness, and the bokeh is absolutely phenomenal. And my favorite Sony FE lens is the 65mm APO Lanthar lens. I love the sharpness. I’m torn between getting the 50mm APO Lanthar or the 35mm APO Lanthar for my M240

It depends. If you shoot exclusively landscape, I'd say yes. If you shoot a variety of subjects, I see the 35 APO as a compliment to the 35 1.2. I have the CV 50 APO and also plan to add the 50 1.2 just to have the option available. Either lens can be a one-and-done 35mm choice. Note that the 1.2 is heavier and a little wider, but the APO is longer (and longer than the 50 APO). Both balance well on the M. The APO has a bit more viewfinder blockage than the 1.2.

I did some corner crop comparisons between the APO and 1.2, both at f/5.6 in case it helps. The APO is noticably sharper, especially in the corners, but the 35 1.2 III is still good. If I'd never seen an APO lens on the M10-R, I would have thought the 1.2 was as good as it gets. The APO really is mind-blowingly sharp on the M10-R.

Between the 35 or 50 APO, I like the 50 APO better. I like the 50mm FOV for one thing, and although the sharpness is similar between the APOs, the longer focal length of the 50mm feels like it resolves more detail at any given distance.

Edited by hdmesa