Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 35mm f/2 Aspherical VM

padam

On 3/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, Dennis said:

It looks like a Distagon size

A little shorter and considerably lighter than the Distagon... longer than but lighter than the Leica Apo-Summicron 35. And it began shipping today!

Edited by Alan Friedman
  • Thanks 1

Anything lighter and smaller than my Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 would be a plus (and that lens is 1.6 lbs). Plus 35mm APO for around $1150? Versus Leica M 35mm APO for around $8200?

I think that's a no-brainer. I'll be selling my seldom-used 35mm f/2 Summicron-M ASPH soon, and I should have enough cash from that to buy at least two (and maybe three) 35/2 APO-Lanthars. It'll be goodbye to the 35/2 Sujmmicron-M ASPH's focus shift and residual CA. 

(Heck, even the 35/2 APO-Summicron-SL is $3000 less expensive, sharper by MTF, and has autofocus. (See MTF graph comparison at https://tinyurl.com/4bacy635))

vor 7 Stunden schrieb lecycliste:

(Heck, even the 35/2 APO-Summicron-SL is $3000 less expensive, sharper by MTF, and has autofocus. (See MTF graph comparison at https://tinyurl.com/4bacy635))

...and considerably larger / heavier... 😉
That's the price you pay for top notch optics in a small and lightweight package.

Edited by Noctiluchs

On 3/24/2021 at 6:29 AM, Noctiluchs said:

...and considerably larger / heavier... 😉
That's the price you pay for top notch optics in a small and lightweight package.

Maybe it's the price you pay, but I won't. I don't see anything even approaching a reasonable cost/benefit ratio for Leica's 35mm APO-Summicron-M. Is the last 12.5% of center MTF really worth the extra $7000? (The APO-Lanthar 35/2 has a better MTF curve in the periphery than the 35/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH, if we can compare the MTF curves apples-to-apples.)

Yes, everyone's answer will be different. I can't see spending that kind of money for that last 12.5% of improvement. Yes, there are the intangibles of bokeh and somewhat more tangible micro-contrast rendering (related to MTF at 30lp/mm to 40lp/mm), but that's still not enough for me. 

Edited by lecycliste
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, microview said:

Wednesday: Just placed 'back order' at Robt White (UK) to go with my VC 50 APO Lanthar when stocks renewed

In fact RW completed order the next day and now (Friday) I have it. Quite a long lens and when mounted camera tips forward on flat surface (as if that matters) yet in the hand it feels OK. Faultless f-stop click=stops and equally smooth to focus. Forgot that with live view on M10R you can come closer than 700mm. Colours clear and natural so will compare against Q2 when we get a decent bit of weather. So far so impressive.

f2 1/500 ISO 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb lecycliste:

I don't see anything even approaching a reasonable cost/benefit ratio for Leica's 35mm APO-Summicron-M. Is the last 12.5% of center MTF really worth the extra $7000? (The APO-Lanthar 35/2 has a better MTF curve in the periphery than the 35/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH, if we can compare the MTF curves apples-to-apples.)

Well, me neither... but with Leica you don't buy just MFTs... you buy German precision, a lifestyle, the 'Leica-pop'... and certainly the most compact and lightweight 35 with excellent image quality!
Others buy Swiss-Made watches or exotic cars for much, much more... it's just a question of perspective... 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctiluchs said:

Well, me neither... but with Leica you don't buy just MFTs... you buy German precision, a lifestyle, the 'Leica-pop'... and certainly the most compact and lightweight 35 with excellent image quality!
Others buy Swiss-Made watches or exotic cars for much, much more... it's just a question of perspective... 😉

After 50+ years of using Leica M-cameras, I've gotten over buying the mystique of German precision, lifestyle, and 'pop' (in the Midwest, you drink pop). My M10 has spent several months at service since I bought it in 2017. That, Leica's prices and very high optical quality from the competition have soured me on Leica's own M gear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing against the quality of the lens but i just wished it would of been great if they just removed the chrome ring....Almost 95% who will have this lens will have a black filter, which doesnt pair well against a damn chrome ring.

You feel me Cosina....haaay🤦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cboy said:

Nothing against the quality of the lens but i just wished it would of been great if they just removed the chrome ring....Almost 95% who will have this lens will have a black filter, which doesnt pair well against a damn chrome ring.

You feel me Cosina....haaay🤦

The part of the silver ring still showing with the hood attached is pretty thin (ends up looking like part of the hood) – and it does tie back to the silver lens mount, the silver shutter button, and the silver split rings 🙂

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The silver ring is intended to be a durable material that will stand up to constant mounting and removal of the bayonet hood. I only see it as a problem for those that do not use a hood or a filter, in which case it can cause ring flare in certain situations. One solution might be a filter with glass removed or a step up ring, which would provide some protection to the front of the lens. 49-55 works well.

6 hours ago, otto.f said:

I’m more interested in whether the APO Lanthar is astoundingly better than the Ultron 35/2.0. I don’t see this yet, at all.

Rent one. It beats trying to squint at compressed, down-sized images on the forum. I've not used the Ultron, but the CV APOs are Otus-class optics in a teacup.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, hdmesa said:

The part of the silver ring still showing with the hood attached is pretty thin (ends up looking like part of the hood) – and it does tie back to the silver lens mount, the silver shutter button, and the silver split rings 🙂

Good point 😀. Leads me to another point about the m body lens mount, which should a durable black chrome to match. Works perfectly on the silver version though lol

43 minutes ago, lecycliste said:

And the silver ring affects optical quality how? 😜😜

If you don't use a black-ring filter or the hood, the silver ring can cause a reflection that shows up as an arc-flare in the shot when shooting into the sun 🙃 Kind of a cool effect, though, that I can choose to get by shooting the lens bare.