Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 35mm f/2 Aspherical VM

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Dennis said:

So, you want to buy a new CV 35/2 ... Between the Utron II and the APO, which one you would buy? 

Compactness and weight VS a slightly better CA correction, right? What does the APO add to the equation?

What does the APO add indeed. I'm sure it's an excellent lens but generally wide angle lenses, or normal lenses for that matter, don't require APO correction in the first place (as I'm sure has been said before)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark T said:

What does the APO add indeed. I'm sure it's an excellent lens but generally wide angle lenses, or normal lenses for that matter, don't require APO correction in the first place (as I'm sure has been said before)

Agree. And the commitment for the size. If size is small, but more expensive, I would probably buy an APO. Meant to be my daily and workhorse lens. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dennis said:

So, you want to buy a new CV 35/2 ... Between the Utron II and the APO, which one you would buy? 

Compactness and weight VS a slightly better CA correction, right? What does the APO add to the equation?

I have to admit that I am more interested in the 35/2 Ultron because it is much smaller. The big one I currently have is Voigt35/1.7, and it is still a great all rounder.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was about to preorder the silver Ultron V2 from Cameraquest but was surprised to see it listed as “silver paint”...

Given that the lenses are brass I had assumed that although the black version was black paint finish as per some Leica cameras/lenses the silver version would be silver chrome not silver paint. Silver paint is not IMHO a particularly attractive finish. Does anyone know if this listing is correct or a mis-reading of the Japanese specification? I would have thought Cameraquest would have it right but it seems a little odd.

Edited by NigelG

52 minutes ago, NigelG said:

I was about to preorder the silver Ultron V2 from Cameraquest but was surprised to see it listed as “silver paint”...

Given that the lenses are brass I had assumed that although the black version was black paint finish as per some Leica cameras/lenses the silver version would be silver chrome not silver paint. Silver paint is not IMHO a particularly attractive finish. Does anyone know if this listing is correct or a mis-reading of the Japanese specification? I would have thought Cameraquest would have it right but it seems a little odd.

As far as I'm aware, there are only three lenses from them with the heavier brass build, the 35mm f/1.7 VM in silver and the 50mm f/1.5 VM in silver (original VM version) and the 50mm f/1.5 VM II with nickel paint on brass. You can verify that by checking the weight.

Edited by padam

14 minutes ago, padam said:

As far as I'm aware, there are only three lenses from them with the heavier brass build, the 35mm f/1.7 VM in silver and the 50mm f/1.5 VM in silver (original VM version) and the 50mm f/1.5 VM II with nickel paint on brass. You can verify that by checking the weight.

Apart from also the new 35 Ultron v2 lens we’re discussing...

https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtlander-leica-mount-lenses/voigtlander-35mm-f/2-ultron-ii-silver-m/

On 2/23/2021 at 3:05 AM, rpsawin said:

the CV 28/2 Ultron and am quite pleased with it on both my M8 and M262.

I use it on my SL (Typ601) and Sony ARII and ARIV.  Amazingly for a rangefinder wide-angle, it works well on the Sonys without vignetting or smearing in the corners.

Of course it doesn't have the sharpness or contrast of the Leica equivalents, but IMO it is still a pretty decent little(ish) lens.

Edited by AZN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a landscape photographer, and my current main lens is the Zeiss Distagon 35mm/1.4 ZM, for my Leica M-P. I usually focus with RF then compose with the EVF. The Voigtlander 35mm/2 looks very interesting to me. A bit more compact than the Zeiss, a bit better, probably the Zeiss hood fits it, and if I ever upgrade to the M10-R it would be worthy of the higher res sensor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padam said:

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/special/1309846.html

A few small size image samples from both E-mount and VM versions, I am sure more is coming soon.

How should we expect the IQ and performance of the new upcoming APO compared to the 35/1.4 Distagon? Maybe size and weight are similar. The Distagon has an outstanding level. Will the new APO be challenging it?

I would love an f/2 35mm; so far, the decision is between the new Ultron II (just because of the focus tab, because optically is the same as v1) and the APO. But then I think that would be a very big 35... So if the size doesn't matter, the Zeiss 1.4 becomes an option again. But if the APO is "equal" to the Distagon, apart from being f/2, it could be a perfect and cheaper option.

If Ultron is fantastic, but the new APO is outstanding, I would probably go with the APO. I really like my 35/2.8 Biogon and like the TT 35/1.4, but any of them is my workhorse. I want to find my perfect (or almost) fit. 35mm is my favorite and most used FL. I need to try several options for different needs until I say... This is the one. If the APO is not "a lot better" than the Ultron II, I think it worths more considering the small size and weight. Then price.
Your thoughts, folks, about Ultron II + 35/1.4 ZM + APO Lanthar comparison?

10 hours ago, Dennis said:

How should we expect the IQ and performance of the new upcoming APO compared to the 35/1.4 Distagon? Maybe size and weight are similar. The Distagon has an outstanding level. Will the new APO be challenging it?

2021-01-09 https://diglloyd.com/blog/2021/20210109_1140-LeicaM10R-ZeissZM35f1_4-aseries-FrostyCreekToSnowyMountainside.html : "The about $2290 Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon is not only the best performing lens for the Leica M10 Monochrom and Leica M10-R, at 1/4 to 1/6 the price of Leica-brand lenses it’s a ridiculously cheap 'steal' by comparison. If you were to buy only one lens for Leica M, the ZM 35/1.4 offers the best performance, best value, and is a great all-around focal length."

2021-02-16 https://diglloyd.com/blog/2021/20210216_1146-VoigtlanderFE35f2.html : "I expect the 35/2 APO-Lanthar to substantially outperform the Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon at f/2 and f/2.8, and deliver greater real-world sharpness on distant landscapes even from f/4 through f/8 due to the nil field curvature of the 35/2 APO-Lanthar."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...