Leica M6 light meter randomly dimming and disappearing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there,

I purchased a very well kept and fully functional M6 a few months ago which had been supposedly CLA' ed from a trusted source. After a few rolls, I have started noticing that sometimes, especially after a few shots, then light meter becomes very weak and eventually disappears. I then take a shot, wait a little, and then it's there again very contrasty. But then after a while, it gets back to a very very weak light which is impossible to recognise. Batteries are brand new, and I have noticed that when it happens, it happens when I move the aperture/shutter speed in order to adjust the meter. What is weird is that if I test it after a few days it's totally fine, and infact this issue seems to present only when I am out shooting.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Again this is an M6 (the non TTL version) with serial number starting 2423XXX (0.85x viewfinder), not that it makes mcuh of a difference, but I thought I would mention just in case.

Thanks in advance

I have observed similar behavior with my M6 when outside in cold weather and when the battery is weak. I’ve always attributed the behavior to the battery. 

make sure the electrical contacts in the battery compartment are clean and try another, new battery. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Make sure you are using a Lithium battery, or 2 silver oxides, not alkaline.

It maybe coincidence but, in my experience,  Lithium batteries seem perform less well in cold ambient temperatures (below 10 degrees C).  I generally prefer the Lithium 1/3N but in winter I'll switch to silver oxide.  I'll also note that I've seen the behaviour described by the OP in other cameras (eg Nikon F2SB) as well...so, I don't think this is in anyway unique to the M6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BradS said:

I have observed similar behavior with my M6 when outside in cold weather and when the battery is weak. I’ve always attributed the behavior to the battery. 

make sure the electrical contacts in the battery compartment are clean and try another, new battery. 

Indeed this has happened over the past month or so, so it could very well be the cold weather. In terms of the batteries, I will try with a brand new set of batteries and see if that helps. Electrical contacts in the battery compartment seem to be in a good state, but I will take another look.

Cheers

8 hours ago, gettons said:

what kind of batteries would you recommend? The user manual recommends either two 1.S5-volt silveroxide buttoncell or one 3-volt lithium cell

Both are OK but the Lithium cell is best, and being just one cell is more convenient.

• 11 months later...
16 hours ago, Danner said:

Don't overlook dirty battery contacts.  Cotton swap with a drop of denatured alcohol works well.

13 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

My Leica repair man says to turn the ISO dial on the back of the camera from one end of the scale to the other several times to keep the contacts clean.

Thank you very much, I will give these a go as well