Sensor clean.

kinross

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am placing this question on S section as I have both S006 and M9 with CCD sensors.

I use Whoosh Shine sine on my IPad and glasses etc and it has occurred to me that it might be ok on camera sensor. Has anyone tried it or have any thoughts.

Mike.

While it may be ok, it does not sound like a good idea to me. Though it might not leave a noticeable residue on screens, that does not mean that it does not contain something that is not great for sensors (where things are magnified greatly and sit just above sensitive components). I would advise sticking to products that are purpose built for sensor cleaning. Saving a tiny bit on cleaning a multiple thousand dollar sensor is not the greatest idea...especially with sensors that have corrosion problems from high humidity.

Leica uses a gel stick for sensor cleaning. They have a video showing the process. Be sure to get the stick for Leica/Sony sensors, as the other ones may damage the cover-glass. I have been using this method for a few years now with NO problems, even on the GFX 100 sensor which moves around due to the IBIS mechanism.

12 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Leica uses a gel stick for sensor cleaning. They have a video showing the process. Be sure to get the stick for Leica/Sony sensors, as the other ones may damage the cover-glass. I have been using this method for a few years now with NO problems, even on the GFX 100 sensor which moves around due to the IBIS mechanism.

The GFX has the best cleaning system of all digital cameras: A separate glass several mm in front of the sensor. That glass has ultra-sonic cleaning, not the sensor itself (the Sony sensor in the GFX 50 series cameras was incapable of ultra-sonic cleaning, that’s the reason Fuji developed that unique solution). The additional advantage is that eventuell dust points on that separate glass are far out of the depth of field, so they appear very blurry on the sensor, even using more closed lens aperture. It’s a pity that even the latest Leica M and S models don’t offer any kind of ultra-sonic cleaning. 

7 minutes ago, chrismuc said:

The GFX has the best cleaning system of all digital cameras: A separate glass several mm in front of the sensor. That glass has ultra-sonic cleaning, not the sensor itself (the Sony sensor in the GFX 50 series cameras was incapable of ultra-sonic cleaning, that’s the reason Fuji developed that unique solution). The additional advantage is that eventuell dust points on that separate glass are far out of the depth of field, so they appear very blurry on the sensor, even using more closed lens aperture. It’s a pity that even the latest Leica M and S models don’t offer any kind of ultra-sonic cleaning. 

The cover glass is actually 9mm in front of the sensor.

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories/gfx-technologies-2/

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On a slightly related topic, has anyone ever changed the rubber eyecup before? On my "7+/10" condition 007 one of the things that requires attention is that the rubber around the eyecup has come off. I've managed to buy a replacement eyecup and it looks like I have to remove the metal piece that has the 2 small holes in (as the replacement eyecup also has these holes so the whole eyecup is one unit). Leica Customer Care has told me that it can unscrew but I can't get it to budge. They have a tool that goes into the 2 holes but this is a special tool which only they have and can't be purchased. Any ideas? 

Thanks 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Sarnian.

I would try a pair of round nosed pliers. They must be a snug fit and take care. I am a  Model engineer so I do have this sort of thing to hand. Look on line under round nosed pliers to see what I mean. It is very similar process to unscrewing the back of most wrist watches if you do not have the correct tool. Of course I could always make a tool, but!

Hope this helps.

Mike.

I have just looked at the lens spanner wrench on line. If you do go down that road make sure to get a set where the tips curve in towards each other. There may otherwise be a danger that they do not close up close enough. A pair of drawing compasses might work if you held them with your fingers near the points to reduce stress on the legs.

Mike.

I remembered that I had a Lens Spanner Wrench somewhere so I dug it out, set the pointy bits to the required distances, held my breath, turned anticlockwise, and... Bingo! 

I think my slightly beat-up "7+/10" 007 deserves an 8/10 now! 

Thanks again, Mike and Matt. 👍

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 1

Just for laughs... who can guess which is my 'travelling light' set-up? 😄

2 hours ago, Sarnian said:

Just for laughs... who can guess which is my 'travelling light' set-up? 😄

Getting OT here, but the S-70 is (relatively) small and light. It is also one of the best balances of smooth and sharp out there.

• Like 3

The TINY Pentax 645 A 75mm does a surprisingly good job.

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

The TINY Pentax 645 A 75mm does a surprisingly good job.

Oh, I have nothing at all bad to say about the Pentax 645 optics. I used to have a complete set, but only the 120 macro is left..