Best M Telephoto for use on SL (601) ?

SonomaBear

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My primary lenses are nearly all from Dr. Mandler 28/50/90TE/90Cron - my L mount lenses top at 85mmm or 70mm.

Using my Canon 70-200 2.8L gives me the reach of 200mm (280 with 1.4x) on Novoflex adapter.  AF is problematic and MF is not like M lenses.

Your opinion regarding the M telephotos (135mm/2.8 or 180/2.8) or should I look for the R lenses?

Thank you in advance...

Bear

The M 135/2.8 is heavy and awkward to use on a M camera. You could have the bugeyes removed if you are going to use it on a SL. I had one and found it soft. I now use a 135/4 Tele-Elmar on both my M10 and SL. It is quite sharp considering the age of the lens. Light and small are other pluses... and a bargain on the used market.You will need a M to SL adaptor.

I also use a 180/2.8 Elmarit R along with a 2X tele-convertor on both M and SL. It is very awkward on a M camera, needing a EVF. It is better on the SL but heavy and slow to use. The Leica 90-280 is a spectacular lens and appropriately priced. The Sigma 100-400 gets good reviews.

You can see some photos taken with the 135 Tele Elmar here: https://tomniblick.photoshelter.com/portfolio/G00009EbeW3q7djQ

I photographed the lions using the 135 TE on a M10. My wife shot the Leopard using a 40-150 on an Olympus. The 180 sat in the bag because it was too slow in this situation.

I just bought a 135 Tele-Elmar, had it CLAd and it is a wonderful lens, built in 1966 but really sharp and has a nice 3D look. It quickly has become one of my favorites. This is a hill across the Connecticut River with the 135 Tele-Elmar on my CL after a snow fall.

I also have a 200 Telyt with a TZOON adapter, screw mt Viso to regular M Mount. It is also an F4, not as good as the Tele-Elmar, but better than a Canon FD 200 f4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 1

I would take three Leica lenses in the selection:
1.) Apo Telyt M 135/3.4 , relatively small with great sharpness, too close to 90 for me.
2.) Apo Telyt R 180/2.8 very compact, fantastic sharpness, my preferred telephoto lens
3) as Pete said, the Apo Telyt R 280/4.0 extremely sharp but also relatively heavy.
The two Apo Telyt R are excellent to extend with the appropriate Apo teleconverters almost without loss.

With the appropriate adapter and the lens versions with ROM, the lens data is also transferred to the EXIF.