Renting a 180mm f/2?

aksclix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been trying to find an affordable deal on the 180 f2 with no luck.. (pls don’t ask me to define affordable deal:))

any place where I could possibly rent this lens? I’d like to try it on my SL2. Would be helpful if anyone who has used this lens on SL2 could share their experience

Which lens ?  Do you mean the Leica R 2/180mm ?   Which is only manual. Of course it works well on the SL2.

Or the Canon EF 2/200mm with IS ? This is probably easier to rent.   But if you think what you want to achieve with the lens plus extender, then renting a EF 4/400mm DO IS is a much better idea. It is light and works very well adapted with MC-21. (With AFs)

Another possibility: Afaik Sigma has filed lately a patent for a 2/200. So with a little patience this will be an interesting option in native L-mount. They also have a patent for a 2.8/300.

But maybe more affordable and usable is the Sigma 150-600 zoom that will sooner or later also come in L.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, caissa said:

Which lens ?  Do you mean the Leica R 2/180mm ?   Which is only manual. Of course it works well on the SL2.

Or the Canon EF 2/200mm with IS ? This is probably easier to rent.   But if you think what you want to achieve with the lens plus extender, then renting a EF 4/400mm DO IS is a much better idea. It is light and works very well adapted with MC-21. (With AFs)

Another possibility: Afaik Sigma has filed lately a patent for a 2/200. So with a little patience this will be an interesting option in native L-mount. They also have a patent for a 2.8/300.

But maybe more affordable and usable is the Sigma 150-600 zoom that will sooner or later also come in L.

Sorry, I wasn’t specific.. I was posting in the R system category so thought it would be implicit.. I was referring to the Leica R 180 f/2 manual focus lens with R-L adapter.. I used to have the canon 400mm f4 DO IS but I sold it to free up funds for the 90-280.. I have been fascinated by the incredible glass in R 180 f/2.. I wanted to be able to try it and was considering only a Leica glass 

yes, if and when the sigma patented lenses become available I am sure it will be a lot more affordable.. I’ll probably get it too

if there is an R lens I would want for my SL2 it would be the 180 f2.. other R lenses are either too big or not the FL I am even looking for.. 180 f2 offers a very unique glass and so I was interested in exploring the possibility of getting one for the SL2

A large lens with IS is much more usable than the manual 180mm lens, even if the SL2 has IBIS. For these lenses IS is usually the better stabilization. The Leica lens is nice (Apo), but a bit unpractical. (Often too short).

Maybe In APS-c mode (where is it equivalent to 2/270) it is more attractive. But the 180 plus extender is not better than the 4/400 DO. (Where you get 4/600 in APS-C).

Edited by caissa

6 minutes ago, caissa said:

A large lens with IS is much more usable than the manual 180mm lens, even if the SL2 has IBIS. For these lenses IS is usually the better stabilization. The Leica lens is nice (Apo), but a bit unpractical. (Often too short).

Of course.. which is why I would like to see if there is a possibility of renting one.. 

I know you probably have your heart set on the 180mm F2, but the obvious choice from my point of view would be the 180mm 3.5 S lens with the S adapter L. It is smaller, lighter and will have autofocus on the SL2 as well as full time MF as well. The performance is very similar optically, and the main reason for the 180mm f2 (to have easy manual focusing in low light) is no longer needed, as the EVF increases the gain to the extent that it does not matter. At 180mm, the DOF at 3.2 or 4 vs. 2 is not really that significant...both are essentially all blur other than the point of focus, unless you are going out to infinity. I have some photos taken with it, I can see if I can find some, if you like.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, aksclix said:

Been trying to find an affordable deal on the 180 f2 with no luck.. (pls don’t ask me to define affordable deal:))

any place where I could possibly rent this lens? I’d like to try it on my SL2. Would be helpful if anyone who has used this lens on SL2 could share their experience

i've used my elmarit R 180 v2 on SL601,and currently use it on fuji GFX50R, and Fuji XH-1

gorgeous rendering, easy to use, took some time to get used to the 180 FOV, but now i love it...easy to use with no ibis, just stay at 1/500th and there is no problem, GFX has EFCS so its even better :)

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I know you probably have your heart set on the 180mm F2, but the obvious choice from my point of view would be the 180mm 3.5 S lens with the S adapter L. It is smaller, lighter and will have autofocus on the SL2 as well as full time MF as well. The performance is very similar optically, and the main reason for the 180mm f2 (to have easy manual focusing in low light) is no longer needed, as the EVF increases the gain to the extent that it does not matter. At 180mm, the DOF at 3.2 or 4 vs. 2 is not really that significant...both are essentially all blur other than the point of focus, unless you are going out to infinity. I have some photos taken with it, I can see if I can find some, if you like.

I had considered the 180 S but didn’t see a point in getting it because I have a 90-280.. also, I just sold my S-adapter L. 

I wanted the R 180 because I wanted to be shooting at f2.. sure, please do share a sample image when you can with  your S 180 especially wide open.. I can always buy the adapter back :)

46 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i've used my elmarit R 180 v2 on SL601,and currently use it on fuji GFX50R, and Fuji XH-1

gorgeous rendering, easy to use, took some time to get used to the 180 FOV, but now i love it...easy to use with no ibis, just stay at 1/500th and there is no problem, GFX has EFCS so its even better :)

That’s awesome! Any image sample you can share shot at f2 on sl?

Here are some shots taken with my 180/2 on my DMR

Macy Gray, Mel C, Susanna Hoffs and Cachaito Lopez

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I do not have too many wide open, as I am mostly doing landscape with the SL2 and 180, but here is one that I took wide open, along with the crop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I do not have too many wide open, as I am mostly doing landscape with the SL2 and 180, but here is one that I took wide open, along with the crop.

Thanks Stuart.. that’s great quality on the crop

I wanted to see some dreamy portraits with this lens though.. I’ll look thru the R lens images thread.. there are too many there and I’ve to search thru them.. 

Anyway, since no one mentioned about any rental options, I am assuming there aren’t any? 

Sorry, 180mm is a bit long for the portraits I have done...I have mostly done those with the 120mm or 70mm. I have one or two at 5.6 that look very good, but it is of an ex, and I am not so sure she would love it if I randomly posted on a web forum, so you will have to take my word for it. Best of luck finding the samples you need...

8 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Sorry, 180mm is a bit long for the portraits I have done...I have mostly done those with the 120mm or 70mm. I have one or two at 5.6 that look very good, but it is of an ex, and I am not so sure she would love it if I randomly posted on a web forum, so you will have to take my word for it. Best of luck finding the samples you need...

😁 yep best not to share your ex’s images.. 

In fact I have seen some samples of the S 180 and I did like the rendering.. but then that was using the S body.. will reconsider at some point.. 

I know you asked for 180 F2, but if it helps a few from Elmarit-R 180 F2.8 APO. Click for larger size.

SL2 (handheld, full image and crop). I find that with IBIS on, I can hand-hold to 1/30 second and still get tripod-equivalent sharpness. 

Fuji GFX 50R, dull evening light, but gives an idea of oof rendering:

Fuji GFX 50R. Lens has plenty of resolution to do justice to 50MP and beyond (moire in the metal siding of the buildings):

If you need full size samples, let me know.

Edited by ravinj
  • Like 2