Calibrating a 7artisans lens for a Leica M10 using a visoflex 020

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have experience using a visoflex 020 to calibrate a 50mm f1.1 7Artisans lens for the Leica M10 RF?  Using the supplied focussing chart from 7Artisans as recommended seems more involved. 

Currently, I can see a discrepancy between the focussing using the RF compared to the visoflex 020 - no calibration has been undertaken to-date.

Appreciate any advice or experiences e.g. do you recommend using the 7artisans chart as the method of choice ?   

For such purposes I put the camera on a tripod and abuse a bookshelf for focussing - simply focus on the title on the spine of the book with an angle of approx. 45 degr. This gives me a more realistic result compared to a chart on paper.

Hi Andreas,

I used your approach, adjusted the flange of the lens as recommended by 7Artisans,  and then checked the calibration using the Leica rangefinder setting and compared it with the Visoflex 020 setting and they coincided !  It saves using the 7Artisans focussing chart to check the adjustment.

Thank goodness - now all is well!

Regards,

epmul

Edited by epmul
On 2/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, epmul said:

Does anyone have experience using a visoflex 020 to calibrate a 50mm f1.1 7Artisans lens for the Leica M10 RF?  Using the supplied focussing chart from 7Artisans as recommended seems more involved. 

Currently, I can see a discrepancy between the focussing using the RF compared to the visoflex 020 - no calibration has been undertaken to-date.

Appreciate any advice or experiences e.g. do you recommend using the 7artisans chart as the method of choice ?   

When I calibrated my TTArtisan 50mm 0.95 I merely took a shot. Adjusted (counterclockwise for back focus, 5mm movement is something like 1-2 inches). Took another shot. Adjusted. took another shot. etc. After around 5 shots I had it spot on at 2m

• 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sailronin
      Tree bark, small version.
      Shot with Leica MP w/7Artisans 75mm F1.25 on Ilford HP5+ souped in HC110B for 5 minutes at 20C then scanned with Plustek 8200 and Vuescan software.
      I've been very pleasantly surprised by this lens, not bad for $299 US! Click on image for sharper photo.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By strangeboy
      Hello.
      Looking for recommendations for lens calibration. DAG is only accepting Leica branded items at the moment because they're currently swamped.
      Thanx!
    • By willeica
      I recently acquired a Leitz 42mm Mikro Summar, which is the lens used by Barnack on the Ur-Leica. It was intended for micro/macro photography, but Barnack used a custom focus mount to allow it to be used for conventional photography. The rig I used is shown below and it features the lens on an RSM ring mount on a Leitz Bellows which is mounted on my M10 with a Visoflex II. I used the back screen for focussing. I have that awful Viso EVF thing for the M10, but I could not get it to work satisfactorily and, so, I used the back screen instead. All photos were taken handheld with a wafer thin depth of field leading to a lovely soft look with nice bokeh from the uncoated lens. I have taken more photos, but since the software 'upgrade' it seems that I cannot post my full size allocation as a Premium Member. I will take it up with Andreas, but in the meantime I will put them into another post, so that members can see them. I had no problem posting all of the photos together on Instagram this morning. My Instagram 'handle' is also willeica. 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! William 
    • By piran
      Is there a profile/icc or something to which I can calibrate? It all goes pear-shaped after running the forum's image upload procedure - appears darkly dim. Have to lighten extensively just to apparently get something reasonable - in gamma terms. Keeping a spare set of edits hacked 'way light' - just for the Leica forum - seems an unduly crass process to have to adopt.
      My EIZO is self-calibrating. I REALLY don't have it over-bright (120 cd/m2) ...more the opposite. I find modern flat panels achingly bright. Tend to use 16bit AdobeRGB system-wide and downshift to 8bit sRGB for the WWW.
      W10PRO browser is Chrome (or Vivaldi - a Chrome fork). Edge (itself a virtual Chrome fork) is currently even more of a PITA after the latest updates [sic]. MS HQ hasn't twigged that (some) cookies are not being saved so everything from the wheel upwards has to be re-invented each access.
      While using C1 (Capture One 20 PRO) have tried outputting (Process Recipe in Phaseone-speak) using ICC profiles sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and Adobe RGB 1988 without satisfaction. 'Best' one so far has been Phase One Grey G2.2 but think I may need '2.4' or '2.5' to get anywhere near the forum's sweet spot - as it were. Any idea if these are available anywhere?
      Scratching head:-/
    • By LraStn
      Has anyone ever experienced an unexplained shadowy gradient area along the edge of the frame as shown in the photos below? 
      I've been shooting with my M10 close to a year now and I mainly use it for weddings and portraits. As a very rough estimate, I have put 15,000 clicks on it in the last year. In recent weeks, I have noticed a strange darkened area appear randomly on the  frame in some photos, but not all. It's on the right side when shooting vertically or on the bottom when shooting horizontally. I have so far only noticed it happening with photos shot with the Noctilux .95, and I can't replicate it although it continues to happen randomly.  I've uploaded a few files as example, from different days showing both the strange dark area as well as images that don't have it. I understand shooting at .95 I will have vignetting as shown in the second wedding photo, but the shadow area is very different and I don't understand why it's happening.