Macro ring light for Q/Q2

RLR

Do you want a ring light or a ring strobe/flash?
A strobe has much more power than a ring light and don't scare critters away.
I would suggest a ring light only for video work, for photography a strobe/flas is more useful.

Have a look at this two treads!
In the first one you can see my setup, rather bulky and not too useful using aso the ELPRO52 because of the size
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/303743-macroclose-up-filters-for-the-q2/ Have look at my reply #111

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/315163-elpro-52-macro-with-qq2/

Both treads are about the ELPRO52 macro lens but
there is still valuable information in it if you should use "only" the lens own macro function without additional lenses.
Using the lens own macro function the focusing distance is mor far than using also the ELPRO52 too, bit stimm much nearer than a 60 or 90mm macro lens.

However, you should find the smallest diameter and lightest ring light as such a "big and heavy" macro ring light makes it impossible to
have the camera horizontally in front of the subject.
The Kaiser KR90 Ring Light i have works fine and for a lng time, but half of the diameter and a quarter of the weight would be much more handy.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

I’ve used a Canon MR-14 EX II Macro flash for the past 5 years on the Q and now Q2. In manual mode. It works extremely well. Peruse the macro thread or search on my name and you’ll see plenty of pics of the flash mounted as well as images taken with it. The beauty of the flash is it stops action. I can photograph bees and hummingbirds in flight and stop wing movement. Also, the leaf shutter in the Q/Q2/Q2M sync with the flash up to 1/2000 of a sec. This is outstanding and very rare among cameras. The latest Mirrorless full frame cameras only sync to 1/500. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 6

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Leica Guy:

I’ve used a Canon MR-14 EX II Macro flash for the past 5 years on the Q and now Q2. In manual mode. It works extremely well.

Absolutely correct!
However, OP may want the light for portrait and/or video work but he did not specified that.

There is absolutely no doubth that a strobe/flash is the better choice for macro photography.
Honestly also for portrait photography as for the same reason as macro he always on light will pead people to realize that the camer is looking at them.

Also, the power output of a strobe/flash is far stronger than a normal video light and that leads to stronger colors as well visible on the photo above.

The perfect solution would be a SF40/64 strobe and a reflecting macro ring housing where the SF40 shoots in, or there are also DY solutions using fiberoptic cables  for underwater use.
This would give the option to use TTL what comes sometimes handy in wildlife macro photography.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 9:36 AM, Leica Guy said:

I’ve used a Canon MR-14 EX II Macro flash for the past 5 years on the Q and now Q2. In manual mode. It works extremely well. Peruse the macro thread or search on my name and you’ll see plenty of pics of the flash mounted as well as images taken with it. The beauty of the flash is it stops action. I can photograph bees and hummingbirds in flight and stop wing movement. Also, the leaf shutter in the Q/Q2/Q2M sync with the flash up to 1/2000 of a sec. This is outstanding and very rare among cameras. The latest Mirrorless full frame cameras only sync to 1/500. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What adaptor is used to mount ring light on Q2 camera?

Thanks,

Sami

13 minutes ago, leica5 said:

What adaptor is used to mount ring light on Q2 camera?

Thanks,

Sami

You need a 49 mm to 67 mm step up adapter AND you need the Canon 67 Macrolite adapter that fits the MR-14 ring flash. Both are readily available at B&H Photo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...