Complementary Camera to the M10M?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/6/2021 at 5:48 PM, Likaleica said:

..........I loved and preferred SLR's over rangefinders literally for decades, and thought I would be able to bond with mirrorless, but I just haven't been able to do so.  So, ever since the demise of the R system I started using the M system more and now it just feels so natural and right that I have a less fulfilling experience if I use a mirrorless camera.

I second these sentiments. I have tried quite a few times to "like" the SL, but that's mainly been when visiting a Leica Store to try one out, ( though one store did loan one to me for a couple of days for a longer trial ), the problem was that the stores also had a S type in too and of course I had to try that camera which has as we know a OVF, one of the best by far of any DSLR's out there and that just nulled the SL experience. When I look through any EVF that I've found to date, of any manufacturer, I am disappointed, there's still nothing like an OVF whether it's on a DSLR or a rangefinder viewing system. A personal choice I know, but there it is, we use what works for us best after trying other options.

For my "larger camera and long lenses" needs I use my Nikon D810, ( that took over from my R system when I went digital for work / pro' output ). The Nikon is built like a tank and like every Nikon SLR I've owned and used since my first FTn's it's utterly reliable and just as comfortable to handle for me as a SL and the OVF is excellent. With a OVF I can realistically judge the light more truly, an EVF will always lie.

All that being said, ( sorry, drifted from your original posting Dan ), I'd get a M10-P to compliment your Hassy......if you're really feeling adventurous though a M10-D would be a trip!

Edited by petermullett
spelling

2 hours ago, dancook said:

I have been wavering, but I think I will settle on the Leica Q2M - really want to take advantage of low noise high ISO of a monochrom sensor, the Q2M will indeed give me some pocket change if I also want to get a wider Hasselblad lens - XCD30 most likely.

I wouldn't argue with that decision Dan. I've never tried the Q2M although I do have the original Q and although I confess that it took a couple of years to really get to appreciate it I'd not sell it now. It's been rudely bumped around on video assignments / sets around the world since I bought it new and is one of my rare Leica's that hasn't had to go home to Mother in Wetzlar for bad behaviour, so I'm keeping it.........Anyway it's value loss in trading in is too low to consider that move worthwhile as I don't need the improved features of the Q2. But if you like WA lens work a Q is a good bet. The Summilux on the Q's is a really good lens to have and the choices of auto' functions have saved my butt more than once. I still don't like the EVF, ( as said before I don't like any EVF, but I've also used my Q in AF mode with a clip-on 28mm OVF very successfully when I didn't want to deal with it's EVF ), but with this kind of camera it's EVF is ok in it's use........Like the GH4's EVF which is still a very useful part of my kits.

By the way, I've used this case/protective skin on my Q for the past 3-4 years of hard usage: https://tekiac.de/leica-q-stelthcover/  I heartily recommend it if you do go with a Q and I think there should be one available for the Q2.

Good luck!

Peter

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, malfaris said:

How you like your Hasselblad 907X so far

I sold traded my 907X/XCD80 for an M10M/35FLE and sold the Q2M

I'm enjoying the M10M very much :)

The 907X is a great camera, just i want a more tactile experience when it comes to focusing, a more responsive shutter experience (due to no af) and smaller intimate lenses

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Best advice here: you don't need another camera. Thank me later.

:D too late

I have the M10M/35FLE and around 9k left - have been thinking 28mm ASPH v2, (75mm APO cron or 50mm 1.4 ASPH) + M10R (only if I can find used) 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On bodies:
Keep the M10 and get an SL2 if you have money to burn.
Gives you one AF / mirrorless / video utility platform you can adapt lots of lenses to, and the best non-M platform for M lenses to boot.
Used SL2 & keeping M10 will give you more versatility than updating M10->M10R and probably come out cheaper.

On lenses:
50/1.4 ASPH is unbeatable

5 minutes ago, steveBK said:

On bodies:
Keep the M10 and get an SL2 if you have money to burn.
Gives you one AF / mirrorless / video utility platform you can adapt lots of lenses to, and the best non-M platform for M lenses to boot.
Used SL2 & keeping M10 will give you more versatility than updating M10->M10R and probably come out cheaper.

On lenses:
50/1.4 ASPH is unbeatable

Just to clarify I just have the M10M, which i will certainly be keeping :)

So choices are probably M10P/M10R possibly SL2/SL2-S, but I won't be getting any AF lenses and I won't be doing any video.

I have 2 x Sony A9 for all my professional work, so just focussing on what I find enjoyable to use.

Edited by dancook

1 hour ago, dancook said:

I'm enjoying the M10M very much :)

The 907X is a great camera, just i want a more tactile experience when it comes to focusing, a more responsive shutter experience (due to no af) and smaller intimate lenses

:D too late

I have the M10M/35FLE and around 9k left - have been thinking 28mm ASPH v2, (75mm APO cron or 50mm 1.4 ASPH) + M10R (only if I can find used) 

Good choice no auto focus camera (even Q2) can replace RF especially from Leica I preporded M10M it would be my first Leica mono little bit scared lol especially with such high price and already owning M10R. By the way M10R is totally worth it, I had the same fear at the time I only have M9, now I sold M9 and I can tell you M10R is so much reliable in all aspects.

I recommended as start to go with  50mm summilux latest - one since you have 35mm, 28mm going to be close, it's small and have beautiful bokeh.

Edited by malfaris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dancook said:

Just to clarify I just have the M10M, which i will certainly be keeping :)

So choices are probably M10P/M10R possibly SL2/SL2-S, but I won't be getting any AF lenses and I won't be doing any video.

I have 2 x Sony A9 for all my professional work, so just focussing on what I find enjoyable to use.

Dan, I have the SL2 and I hardly ever use it.  I'm happy with M10M & -P  If you're looking for opinions, I would build out my M lens collection and if you ever want a SL2 you'll have lots of lenses you can use.  But you have the A2 so...

• Like 1

I was very sure at first that I wanted to separate B&W and color.

So for B&W I have the M10M and a couple of M lenses. 
For color I had chosen the X1D II, a great camera with great lenses.
But now I'm so in love with my M lenses that I'm also considering getting a "Color-M" and using those M lenses for color as well. 
Always damn expensive decisions when you only use the camera privately.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, strohscw said:

I was very sure at first that I wanted to separate B&W and color.

So for B&W I have the M10M and a couple of M lenses. 
For color I had chosen the X1D II, a great camera with great lenses.
But now I'm so in love with my M lenses that I'm also considering getting a "Color-M" and using those M lenses for color as well. 
Always damn expensive decisions when you only use the camera privately.

Yes it seemed a shame to have the Leica lenses and never get to see their colour renditions.

I'm pretty much settled decision making now

M10-M - owned
M10-P - to purchase
50mm 1.4 ASPH - ordered
35mm 1.4 FLE - owned

And I've been thinking about the new 28mm 5.6 Summaron, looking for a used one.

• Like 2

vor 21 Minuten schrieb dancook:

Yes it seemed a shame to have the Leica lenses and never get to see their colour renditions.

I'm pretty much settled decision making now

M10-M - owned
M10-P - to purchase
50mm 1.4 ASPH - ordered
35mm 1.4 FLE - owned

And I've been thinking about the new 28mm 5.6 Summaron, looking for a used one.

The two lenses that changed my mind: 50mm 2.0 APO and the 28mm 1.4  I love their subtle tone transition and separation, something that I also would like to have in my color pictures, even if the SLX28 is bigger and heavier as the Summicron.

I am not so sure about the camera, M10-P or M10-R or wait some time for the M11? I do not understand why the M10-R has got such negative  Reputations from some members here. For me it is clear that the more pixels I have, the higher the demands on the stability of the camera when shooting, this is the same with the M10M or in the past with my M6 using the Kodak Technical Pan film. 

Edited by strohscw
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dancook said:

The Q2M didn't last long - hope you didn't lose too much on that.  You do seem to have a high turnover on equipment 🙂 but I hope the M10M does stay the course.  I have a 50mm APO Black Chrome permanently glued to mine and still have the Q2M for B&W wide angle stuff.  Saves changing lenses!

The new 35mm APO will be awesome on the M10M.  There's something to tempt you with in the future . . .

Edited by T25UFO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

The Q2M didn't last long - hope you didn't lose too much on that.  You do seem to have a high turnover on equipment 🙂 but I hope the M10M does stay the course.  I have a 50mm APO Black Chrome permanently glued to mine and still have the Q2M for B&W wide angle stuff.  Saves changing lenses!

The new 35mm APO will be awesome on the M10M.  There's something to tempt you with in the future . . .

I returned it to MPB for a refund within 14 days, so it cost me shipping.

I'm feeling good about the M10M, the real test will come when I can actually go somewhere interesting with it..

Hi Dan

I am glad for you that you didn’t go for the SL2. It is a great camera, I love it. But I see it and use it as a large M body, with a fantastic EVF (ie it beats a M10R/M + Visoflex). The IBIS and electronic shutter are also real pluses. Though for me, the SL2 is perfect for 75mm, 90mm + focal lenses, which are not always practical on the M series, or would require the Visoflex. I think the SL2 works well for “slow” photography where you have time to build and make the picture, to interact with the subject or you do still, landscape, architecture etc. I have never used AF and prefer to control/be entirely responsible for the shoot. I find the RF/OVF the right tool for speed and as you mentioned street photography, I think you would be truly happy in staying with the M series.

The 50mm asph 1.4 is a wonderful lens, as is the 28mm asph 1.4. Strohscw mentioned the 50mm Apo 2.0. It is also such a magic lens which works so superbly with the M10M. If you like 50mm, it is worth considering it.

On the camera, if you are comfortable shooting with the M10-M with its high resolution sensor, then you should be fine with a M10-R. I understand that some have been complaining about focusing on low speed with a M10-R, and they are entirely entitled to do so, but strangely enough that issue hasn’t surfaced as a concern with the M10-M. So maybe it won’t be an issue for you as well. :) 

Anyway, enjoy your purchases and have fun in the streets!

Edited by Hanno
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hanno said:

On the camera, if you are comfortable shooting with the M10-M with its high resolution sensor, then you should be fine with a M10-R. I understand that some have been complaining about focusing on low speed with a M10-R, and they are entirely entitled to do so, but strangely enough that issue hasn’t surfaced as a concern with the M10-M. So maybe it won’t be an issue for you as well. :) 

Anyway, enjoy your purchases and have fun in the streets!

I have been shooting the Hasselblad 50 MP medium format sensor 45mm at 1/30th hand held with sharp results - so it's not something that's bothered me.

I have the 35mm 1.4 / 50mm 1.4 (on the way) 

Thought I was going to get a 28mm - but in the end decided to get the 21 SEM for something a bit different, thought it could give me a new perspective on live music and street photography to play with, and it's E46 so that's handy!

I've got a 46mm Tiffen  Black Pro-Mist filter on the way for some cinematic night time street shots - and it'll fit all the lenses as well as the Y/O/R colour filters.

• Like 1

After getting the M10-M.. thought long and hard before switching the M10-P I had for an M10-D. For casual outings finding it great to have that almost film like experience with the D or instead to go out on dedicated Monochrom trips.

As well as a 35 FLE and 50 Summilux  have the 24 Summilux and 28 Summaron-M.  That really is it  having traded far too many times involving M9s, film M's, SL and Q and modern and vintage lens compilations......  before finding what is for  me this perfect M pair and lens setup.  Just the addition of a Voigtlander 75mm 1.5 .. ...maybe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...