SL2 Multi-shot mode

DJGR33R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Photogs 

Can anyone explain how the SL2 processes it’s multi shot images when set in multi-shot mode?

I understand that the camera takes 8 different shots by moving the sensor 0.5 pixels each time. My question is does the camera merge these 8 images to produce the final 187 MB image or does it interpolate between each of the 8 images to produce the final result ?

A couple of my multi-shots look like they have had mild HDR treatment which is not to everyone’s taste. Is that the intention or consequence of multi-shot images?

Any advice welcome !

Thanks

David

Imagine the mechanics of a digital sensor. RGB filters covering the sensor only record 1/4 of the information a scene offers due to the color of a filter. This is why the monochrom cameras offer higher apparent resolution. When you shoot in multi shot, you are adding the information gathered by the neighboring pixels which was captured under a different color filter.The result is higher resolution and increased detail. And, yes, a slight increase in dynamic range... what you call a mild HDR.

If the increase in the dynamic range bothers you then shoot a Xrite color checker passport (https://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-ColorChecker-Passport-MSCCPP-Photography/dp/B002NU5UW8) and use the white and black patches to set your desired contrast range. You can make a Lightroom preset or a Photoshop action to automate this step. I like to set the white point at 250 and the black at 15-30 depending on the paper I intend to use. You could use 255 and 0 if you only intend web use.

Pixel shift or multi-shot is a wonderful studio technology. It is not new as Hasselblad has been offering it for more than a decade. While it has been mostly used for art reproduction, the speed of mirrorless cameras has opened up new possibilities. It is now possible to use this technology hand-held. There is a great video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPr0eBR5Dk&t=547s by Mathphotographer, who I believe is a member of this forum. He explains how to get the same result using any camera. I've tried his technique and it works like a charm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never really noticed the higher dynamic range in my multi-shot images off the SL2. Very interesting, it prompts me to take another look at my files.

This isn’t a direct answer to your question, but to my eyes, the key thing of multi-shot is certainly less noise, less moire or false colours, and (as a result) slightly “truer” recording of fine detail.

The same amount of underlying resolution is being recorded (ie 47mp sensor stays a 47mp sensor in either mode) ..... but similar to the attributes of the Monochrom cameras, the multi-shot on the SL2 feels like a more lossless version of a single-shot.

I don’t view multi-shot as a substitute for a camera with more underlying megapixels, however, ie, files I’ve looked at make me convinced that a 100mp medium format sensor is still able to produce quite a bit more resolution than a 187mp multi shot capture from the SL2, even though the later opens out natively to c 56” wide for printing at 300dpi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just wonder, as an aside,  what the image quality of:

On 2/5/2021 at 8:07 PM, Printmaker said:

Pixel shift or multi-shot is a wonderful studio technology. It is not new as Hasselblad has been offering it for more than a decade. While it has been mostly used for art reproduction, the speed of mirrorless cameras has opened up new possibilities. It is now possible to use this technology hand-held. There is a great video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPr0eBR5Dk&t=547s by Mathphotographer, who I believe is a member of this forum. He explains how to get the same result using any camera. I've tried his technique and it works like a charm.

would be with a Q2m or M10M.