New L-mount lenses just started shipping

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't tried to shoot with any of my gear at -25C for a while.  But can't you set the aperture ring on A (control from inside the camera) and use two fingers on opposite sides for manual focusing.  BTW, how do you set infinity focus for astro shots?

Using the rear dial for aperture control is definitely preferable when handling the lens with gloves. Coming from the M system, I guess I’m just more used to the aperture ring.

With thicker gloves, I find the finger tips of my gloves rub against the lens hood which is wider and very close to the focus ring. I think going without the lens hood is probably a better option although I generally prefer to have a lens hood on for protection.

Infinity focus is surprisingly straight forward with hyperfocal zone focus. Just half press the shutter button and turn the focus ring while looking at the top display. You’ll see the back, centre, and front focus distance. Just set the the back focus distance to infinity and slowly shift the focal plane forward until the back focus is just a step below infinity, then turn the other way slightly to get back to infinity back focus. Now you’ve got as much front depth of field as possible while keeping infinity in focus. These values are aperture and focal length dependent and the camera updates the values based on parameters sent by the lens so it will only work with L mount alliance lenses with electronic communication. I would also expect it to be sensor dependent so you’ll probably see different values between the SL2 and SL2-S with everything else being equal.

Edited by beewee

• 2 weeks later...

One more with the little Sigma 24.  This is a cat on our campus wondering where all the students went, with their sandwiches.

S1010846 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

(autofocus missed by a bit.  Soft black cat and sharp texture behind her.)

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

oHere's the closest I can come to a comparison of the new Sigma 24/3.5 L-mount and a non-existent Leica comparable product.  I used a M 28/1.4 - asph on a Leica M to L adapter.  I'm shooting a large set of photbook shelves, a bit over 4 m away so the 4-500 books fill about 1/4 of the frame (this is not a good way to inventory books -- the lens should be longer or the camera closer.).  Both shots at f/5.6.  First the Sigma (a crop at 100% near the center).

U1050500 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and then the Leica 28 (camera moved about 20 cm back to keep the images about the same size.

U1050514 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickris a bit more contrasty (look at "the Open Road

It's pretty clear that the 28 M Summilux is a bit more contrasty, and maybe a little sharper as well.  But both turn in renderings that we would have been excited about a few years ago, and one costs about one tenth as much as the other.  I'm happy.

I suspect there is some noice in the test here. The Sigma image is simply not sharp. I don´t what causes this, but I would like to see this test replicated. 

On 2/5/2021 at 2:47 PM, helged said:

Huge difference in favour of 28Lux-M. Particularly so when shot at about f5.6 - where both lenses should be close to sharpest.

Yes indeed. This is a very unexpected result. The Sigma image is simply not sharp. Even if the Leica lens is better, the difference should not be so obvious. I would doubt that this result is generalizable. 

• Like 1

OK, here are three tests of the Sigma 24/3.5 on my SL2-S.  First in normal mode with IBIS working, camera on a tabletop about 4 meters from a wall of books.  Then without IBIS (the single shot that is saved when doing multishot, then the multishot 48 effective MPx.  I've uploaded 100% crops from about an eighth of the original shot.  Click through. 

Normal setup, f/4.0:

S1010883 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

No IBIS  f/3.5

S1010891 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

multi-shot f/3.5

S1010890 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

exposures were 1/4 or 0.3 secs.  I don't see any diffeerence in sharpness between the IBIS and the non-IBIS shots.  I think the better result in these examples is simply a little more care on my part, and the fact that the SL2-S works a bit better with Fotos for remote operation than the SL2 that I used in a previous try.  I still used AF, as MF on the Sigma doesn't work with Fotos.

Now with the lens on an SL2.  I cropped to the upper row.  The publisher line (Carnegie Museum of Art) is resolved  on the Duane Michals retospective, and there is no aliasing on the thin lines of the word Brassai.

First the multishot

U1050776 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

(I normally sharpen these a bit since the pixels simulated are a bit soft)

and then the single shot from the series

U1050777 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The difference from the previous post is that I gave up on using Fotos to set things up.  Used AF with magnification and got more of the lens' performance. I also shot with IBIS on, but saw no degredation.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

The best thing about the Sigma 24/3.5 is how small it is.  Every other lens I used on the SL2 was heavy, like the SL Crons or zooms.  Sometimes I'd not take the SL2 just because how heavy it is.  With the small lens, it makes so much more sense carrying around.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

a cat on our campus, wondering where all the students went, with their sandwiches

It's nice to find a fellow computer scientist here!:)  I looked up your work and it's impressive.  Hope with the way Israel handled vaccines the students will be back!

I remember you were relying on the Ms for wide angle, so I wonder what happens with the encroachment of the wider SL lenses...  I bet the cat would be sharper with an M!

On 2/28/2021 at 10:44 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

The difference from the previous post is that I gave up on using Fotos to set things up.  Used AF with magnification and got more of the lens' performance. I also shot with IBIS on, but saw no degredation.

Thanks for going to the trouble of retaking the test shot with the Sigma 24mm. The image quality in the second set of shots is much better than in the first and appears to on par with the summilux although I note different ISO were used in each case so hardly a fair comparison. What's your overall feeling on the IQ and rendering now that you've spent some time with the Sigma?

4 hours ago, Reggie said:

Thanks for going to the trouble of retaking the test shot with the Sigma 24mm. The image quality in the second set of shots is much better than in the first and appears to on par with the summilux although I note different ISO were used in each case so hardly a fair comparison. What's your overall feeling on the IQ and rendering now that you've spent some time with the Sigma?

I don't know how the M28 shots got to 3200 ISO (probably because I hadn't turned off Auto ISO), but that's not a high enough ISO to degrade resolution on an SL.  The 24 mm shots are all set at ISO 100 or 200.

SL2 + sigma 24mm f/3,5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

What I am seeing, and I do t think I’ve seen mentioned in the bookshelf comparisons is a big difference in the color rendering. Seeing them next to each other I find the Leica color to be much more pleasing.  I really don’t like the yellow/green tint on the Sigma. To my eyes, the different is pretty significant. 

Could be a result of the jpg processing but can’t really tell from what’s presented. 

Edited by _Michael

11 hours ago, _Michael said:

What I am seeing, and I do t think I’ve seen mentioned in the bookshelf comparisons is a big difference in the color rendering. Seeing them next to each other I find the Leica color to be much more pleasing.  I really don’t like the yellow/green tint on the Sigma. To my eyes, the different is pretty significant. 

Could be a result of the jpg processing but can’t really tell from what’s presented. 

Interesting observation, I've picked up the same yellow/green tint with the Sigma 135mm f1.8.  I haven't seen this with my other Sigma lenses. I've just ordered a Sigma 24mm f3.5 which I should receive in the next few days, let's see....

• Like 1