Filter for Voigtlander Ultron 35 mm f1.7

jwillyf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hope I’m not breaking any protocols by posting  this query here!

I have a Voigtlander Ultron 35 mm f1.7 lens for my M3. I want to be able to fit a yellow filter to the lens. I researched it on the web and came up with a thread size of 46 mm.I ordered one but found it to be too big to fit on to the front of the lens, and anyway, on closer inspection, there seemed to be virtually no thread on the front of the lens available.

I returned the filter but then found thread on the inner of the screw on hood. I re-ordered the 46 mm threaded filter which arrived today. The filter is marginally too small to screw into the hood, and I am not convinced that there is enough depth of thread on the filter to make contact with the thread on the hood.

I plan to return the filter, and include the hood for them to measure and fit.

Before I do that, I wondered if I could pick the brains of the experts on this forum as to whether I might be barking up a wrong tree.

Thanks

From CameraQuest website re: 35/1.7 Ultron LTM

The 35/1.7 has click stops every half stop and a filter size of 39mm.   The 39mm filter fits tightly inside the shade, and is not accessible for removal or mounting without 1st removing the shade.   Included with the lens is the screw in lens shade and front and back caps.   The metal lens cap fits snug tight over the lens shade. 

The CameraQuest website states the 35/1.7 Ultron M has a 46mm filter.

I hope this helps,

Bob

Voigtlander Ultron 35mm F/1.7 Aspherical Specs

Focal Length 35mm
Maximum Aperture f/1.7
Minimum Aperture f/16
Lens Mount Leica M
Angle of View 62°
Minimum Focus Distance 1.6' / 50 cm
Optical Design 9 Elements in 7 Groups
Diaphragm Blades 10
Focus Type Manual Focus
Filter Size 46 mm (Front)
Dimensions (ø x L) 2.1 x 2" / 53 x 50.6 mm
Weight 8.4 oz / 238 g

Thanks for the replies but unfortunately, I am still struggling. Here are photos of the lens.

I have a 39 mm filter that fits my Summicron 50 and Elmarit 90. It sits comfortably inside the front element of the Voigtlander with the screw on shade removed, but it will not screw on, and falls off if the lens is inverted. This same 39 mm lens falls through the centre of the screw on shade, and so the filter cannot be sandwiched between lens and shade.

A 46 mm filter sits comfortably around the front element of the lens, sitting around the thread on to which the shade screws, but has no internal thread for screwing on to the body of the lens, and so cannot be fixed. There appears to be a thread on the inside of the shade that could take a filter, and the 46 mm filter fits loosely within the outer edge of the shade,  but will not screw on to this thread at the outer end of the shade. The 46 mm filter will not in any way fit onto the camera side of the shade. It may be that there is no thread at the outer end of the shade and that it is just some ribbing in the finish?

Maybe I am missing something obvious but it has me stumped. Any further ideas?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jwillyf

It should have internal threads on the front as seen here:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, thank you everyone.

As you have all been re-iterating, it is a 39 mm filter. Previously when I have tried fitting  this size, it just seemed to rotate without locking on. Trying again now, it screwed on and stuck. I wonder if there might have been a speck of grit on the thread preventing it locating correctly. My research suggesting a 46 mm thread clouded things further.

Whatever the reason, the problem is resolved with your help. Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Don’t take this the wrong way. When I was very young a tradesman told me when screwing a part on something else you first put it to the threads and turn it backwards until it clicks. Then screw it down. The backwards turns serve to line up the starter thread.

• Like 2

No offence taken jdlaing. In fact, I learned this many years ago also, and invariably turn the 'wrong' way until I feel the click you mention before screwing on correctly. It helps avoid cross-threading, too. Now I just have to return the 46 mm filters for the second time 😬😬

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwillyf said:

No offence taken jdlaing. In fact, I learned this many years ago also, and invariably turn the 'wrong' way until I feel the click you mention before screwing on correctly. It helps avoid cross-threading, too. Now I just have to return the 46 mm filters for the second time 😬😬

Or keep them and buy some 46mm lenses. 😃

Glad it worked out- made me look at Mine! And, as expected, 39mm.

This is one of my favorite lenses. Had a Silver one, like yours - loved it. Sold it cheap to a young photographer that had saved for an M6, and needed a lens. He had asked me to check out the M6 before sending it overseas. I added the lens. Then bought another one.