Interiors/Acrhitecture with S System

Seveningred16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Yeah, that is what it seems like. I was looking into it, and it seems like a camera like the GFX or other larger sensor camera is the best balance of wide angle lens availability to room for rise. This led me down the rabbit hole to looking at tech cameras and the prices really are very high when a whole system is spec-ed out. I was looking at the RLd3, as it would be nice to use 4x5 and my existing lenses, but even just mounting a lens is 1200 euros, and then you cannot use it on another body. For me, the interest would be using it modularly, so something like a Linhof plate or at least something that could be easily swapped out with a lens wrench would be ideal. The modern digital tech cam lenses are also extremely expensive and a bit hard to get an overview of and determine what is the best choice. It seems like the Actus is still the most practical, but lens choice is an issue. I do have a 45mm APO Componon and 90mm APO componon that I use for the darkroom, and I did some of my MFA work on them using a DIY lens mount on an monorail, though that was on 4x5. They were quite good on 4x5 (at high magnification ratios...of course, DOF was small). It really would be nice if Leica just made something like a 19mm, 21mm or 24mm TS lens for the SL.

There are of course adapted wide angle T/S solutions for the SL, notably the Canon line, which includes updated versions like the 24 T/S version 2.

An issue with using T/S lenses in your location, though, might be the lack of robust weather sealing, assuming naturally that their use would not be exclusively indoors.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at the MTF of a lot of shift lenses, and the only ones I saw that looked like they held close to Leica standards across the frame were the 135mm Canon and 19mm Nikon, both of which looked good. Any thoughts? The Canon 24 looks ok, but it does fall pretty hard as you get away from center...at least on the site I saw.

Regarding weather...well, I take what I can get. If it is not sealed, I will not use it in terrible conditions.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

A good friend relied heavily on his Canon tilt shifts, and was impressed with the improvement in the 24 from v.1 to v.2.  He sold much of his Canon system, however, once he tried SL lenses on his S1R.  I don’t know if he kept the T/S lenses, though.  Leica does indeed set a high standard.  

There are many reviews on the 24 v.2, as it was introduced in 2009.  Here are are couple just in case you haven’t read...

https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-tilt-shift-lens-ts-e-243-5l-version-ii-review/

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ts-e-24mm-3-5l-ii-review/

Jeff

• Like 1

Keith is very thorough and helpful with his reviews. That was good to read. Unfortunately, I think I am too picky for that lens. Again, would be great if Leica or even Sigma did an L mount quality TS lens. That said, I am not sure Leica has ever made one. I know most of theirs were subcontracted to Schneider, right?

3 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Keith is very thorough and helpful with his reviews. That was good to read. Unfortunately, I think I am too picky for that lens. Again, would be great if Leica or even Sigma did an L mount quality TS lens. That said, I am not sure Leica has ever made one. I know most of theirs were subcontracted to Schneider, right?

The current S120 T/S is a Schneider design AFAIK.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/3/2021 at 4:54 PM, djmay said:

I use the S3 and S 006 with 24mm lens for architecture and interiors. The combinations work very well.

I just managed to pick up a Mint and boxed 24mm for $3,500. I checked with Leica before buying it and it still has its original auto focus motor. That's fine, though, as I know the costs involved in getting the AF motor upgraded and whilst Leica are at it they adjust the lens to perform flawlessly. All good.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 5:17 PM, Sarnian said:

I just managed to pick up a Mint and boxed 24mm for $3,500. I checked with Leica before buying it and it still has its original auto focus motor. That's fine, though, as I know the costs involved in getting the AF motor upgraded and whilst Leica are at it they adjust the lens to perform flawlessly. All good.

The 24mm has arrived but it’s auto focus motor is D.O.A. as when attached to my 007 you don’t get any hyperfocal distance info and the lens just whirls away. Also, the numbers in the distance scale window never change. The 007 automatically upgraded the firmware of the lens so I know it’s a mechanical issue rather than electronic.

It was advertised as having quick and accurate focusing but I wonder how much of a test was actually done before it was listed? A trip to Wetzlar beckons! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Sarnian

7 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

It was advertised as having quick and accurate focusing but I wonder how much of a test was actually done before it was listed? A trip to Wetzlar beckons! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No such thing as a test for the old AF motors.  You take your chances, especially when mounted on a different body.

Jeff

21 hours ago, Jeff S said:

You take your chances

A good outcome in the end as the seller gave a partial refund to cover the cost of the auto focus fix plus the postage charges that I will incur in sending it to Wetzlar. 👍🏼

I now can’t wait to transform my super expensive paperweight into a gorgeous wide angle lens! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John McMaster said:

Talk to Leica, I have had collections for free (from France and Scotland) via UPS to Solms/Wetzlar...

What that because they were bought new and still under warranty as opposed to second-hand with no warranty?