Leica R4s out of focus images but sharp in viewfinder

Vanchijackson

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

Hi

Probably motion blur showing up on the negative/slide. 

Hi, yes there are images with motion blur (from low shutter & hand shake). But there are some very steady shots with good shutter speed, not sharp at all, or not where I kept the focus. It’s very obvious in full open.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Charles Morgan said:

I had similar on my R4S, turned out the focussing screen wasn't seated properly.

Get the Leica tool if it is out, the little plastic tag holding it in is fragile, and brittle with age. 

Ohh okay, how to confirm this ?

any links to the Leica tool? Or I should I look for a service person? Not sure I can do it myself.

Examples

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

8 minutes ago, Charles Morgan said:

Definitely not focus screen, those are in focus, if a touch unsharp.

Scanning issue or is the mirror properly damped. 

Will do scan again with different scanner. Will share few more pictures with slightly sharpened. In case just to skip the scanning issue.

and how to check this mirror damp? Sorry very new to Leica R

When you have this issue sorted, you should also replace all of the black foam light strips around the back of the camera. You can buy replacement kits from the eBay or wherever.

Older R cameras regularly suffer from light leaks and this is simple and cheap way of curing that problem.

4 hours ago, andybarton said:

When you have this issue sorted, you should also replace all of the black foam light strips around the back of the camera. You can buy replacement kits from the eBay or wherever.

Older R cameras regularly suffer from light leaks and this is simple and cheap way of curing that problem.

Yeah sure, fixing the light seal tomorrow with some black foam. Found a service person to check on Mirror dampening any any other issue associated with blurry pictures, (but not sure wether he can sort it out or not). Testing again with another roll and will make sure to get some steady shots. Then a very good scanning. Hope I find the issue.

PS - Is it common for a Leica R4s pressure plate slightly angled?

thank you 👍🏼

Hello everyone, to further finding out issue, can anyone confirm that the camera’s pressure plate is in proper alignment.

also I checked with measuring tape, focal distance set at lens is perfect with viewfinder. This confirms there is no problem with focusing screen or mirror alignment, am I  right here? Also I looked at the mirror dampening foam, it looks good by looking at it, or do I have to add some more foam into it? Will share picture too

please some one help with this. 

Edited by Vanchijackson
Photos not uploaded

Mirror box, is everything seems to be okay?

Edited by Vanchijackson
Photos uploaded

A few thoughts. The pressure plate should be more in line with the back - you may be able to sort that out yourself as it is just a metal 'spring'. Try pulling it gently.

You have a light leak which I suspect is coming from the film window on the back. I see you mention a new foam kit so do the window and the strips where the back closes into.

As for focus I think the shots look OK but you are shooting wide open and so there's little room for error. We don't know what point of the subject/s you focussed on. Also, scanned images require sharpening and we don't know what kind of PP the images have had.

One last thought, how have you set the diotre adjustment for the viewfinder?

4 hours ago, earleygallery said:

A few thoughts. The pressure plate should be more in line with the back - you may be able to sort that out yourself as it is just a metal 'spring'. Try pulling it gently.

You have a light leak which I suspect is coming from the film window on the back. I see you mention a new foam kit so do the window and the strips where the back closes into.

As for focus I think the shots look OK but you are shooting wide open and so there's little room for error. We don't know what point of the subject/s you focussed on. Also, scanned images require sharpening and we don't know what kind of PP the images have had.

One last thought, how have you set the diotre adjustment for the viewfinder?

Yeah will adjust the pressure plate parallel to the back. ( this really helps, I was wondering  since I received the camera)

For light leak, just fixed the window seal manually cut from foam tape. Yet to fix the strips for doors, will do that too. (Waiting for thin foam)

On focus, as you said I also think it’s a combination for low shutter, full open & hand shake might have caused some issue. On the other hand there are other pictures which I think perfectly exposed, but it’s not focus/sharp enough (still finding out). Hope will understand this in next Test roll. Images scanned with Epson 700, withe high resolution. But it was not sharp enough overall, did sharpening in Lightroom.

No Diopter adjustment in R4s, but I can see sharp in view finder.