film processing services

PeterMM1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to start using my film Leica once more....just maybe a roll or two of Tri-X  every couple of months and don't want to bother with processing it myself anymore.
Are there any suggestions for local processing services? I'm in the North Carolina area in US.

Thanks

I cannot recommend anything in your local area but for mail order,

https://thedarkroom.com/

are very good...but also VERY busy. They will do b&w. Be careful because most local places won’t have a clue and some will not return negatives! 

as already suggested, use google maps and search strings like ‘film lab’ or ‘film processing’ or ‘photo lab’, etc...

• Like 2

I used Ilford (they sell mailers on B&H's site) a couple of times.  The first time the photos and scans were perfect but the next time I requested tiff scans and they sent me jpegs.  I normally develop film at home and I'll probably continue doing so.  I bought five rolls of Portra 400 so I'll have to send them off and plan to use Dwayne's Photo.  Develop film plus 36 4x6 prints is $15 including return postage.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indie Photo Lab in Philadelphia (www.indiephotolab.com) has been reliable and responsive for me.  They use Ilfotec DD-X for black and white.  Indie Film Lab in Montgomery, AL (www.indiefilmlab.com) has also been good.  They use a Kodak developer (T-MAX, if I recall correctly).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnkunstadter said:

Indie Photo Lab in Philadelphia (www.indiephotolab.com) has been reliable and responsive for me.  They use Ilfotec DD-X for black and white.  Indie Film Lab in Montgomery, AL (www.indiefilmlab.com) has also been good.  They use a Kodak developer (T-MAX, if I recall correctly).

Do either of them do mail order?

Another vote for The Darkroom for your plans with film. Easy to track your shipment both outbound and inbound, responsive customer service. Very consistent results with B&W (I’ve sent them Tri-X, HP5, TMAX 3200, JCH 400, Ferrania P30), and their offering of prints on Ilford paper are nice enough for 5x7s.

I like Richard Photo Lab also, based in California.

In the Southeast, Third Man Studios in Nashville comes to mind. 

Everything is shipping out these days unless you are lucky or live in a big city. 

For b&w Old School Photo Lab in New Hampshire does a good job  https://oldschoolphotolab.com/

I use them mostly for color, but had a roll of b&w done by them while my processing stuff was on order, they were the only lab I liked out of the 3 I tried. 

I was like you I had just received an M3 and didn't think I was going to do much film, a desk drawer is now filled with film and the chemistry is stored under a dresser in our down stairs bath room. I ended up bringing out my Canon F1 and TLR Rollei too. B&W should have some grain structure even if it is minimal like with TMax 100 or Ilford Pan F.

Have fun

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

going through my Leica film cameras I just discovered My M2 has a roll of Tri-X in in with 16 exposures remaining....I think just for the fun of it I'll shoot the rest of the roll and mix up some chemical quickly myself and see what comes of it....I may end of doing my own processing after all....:)

....I don’t think these are good anymore.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 2

I was in a similar position a few years ago, so looking around the most dependable and cheapest is darkroom.com ($8 for dev only + $4 for low res scans + $6 shipping—cheaper if you send in multiple rolls at once). IconLA is the best I’ve tried, but among the most expensive.

But, because I already had reels and tanks, I eventually just bought a few bottles of cinistill monobath which requires no mixing and only one chemical—and it actually works quite well with tri-x. This simplified development process and only a couple rolls a month has made it fun again.

I now do dslr scanning which takes about 2 min a roll, so if you don’t have a similar set-up for easy scanning or patience/motivation for standard scanning, then obviously one of these mail in services is probably best for convenience purposes. 

Edited by kokoshawnuff

21 hours ago, PeterMM1 said:

....I don’t think these are good anymore.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nowadays it is easy to get the ilford’s DDX? 
i just recently started developing myself with colour too.. love the process and experience... 

2 hours ago, jakontil said:

Nowadays it is easy to get the ilford’s DDX? 
i just recently started developing myself with colour too.. love the process and experience... 

Thanks, I'll look into that.
BHphotovideo has that at a pretty good price and with no sales tax and free shipping with their CC.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/188027-REG/Ilford_1155055_Ilfotec_DD_X_Developer.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9vOABhBfEiwATCi7GD2JEvHMIlOmFvfgmEFur60OFmadqp8okeYkcWMb8qZ_a2D9wZf0MxoChDEQAvD_BwE#!

How it is with developing Tri-X because that pretty much all I use and still have a half dozen rolls of 36.
Do you use a stop bath or just rinse well with water?

7 hours ago, PeterMM1 said:

BHphotovideo has that at a pretty good price and with no sales tax and free shipping with their CC.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/188027-REG/Ilford_1155055_Ilfotec_DD_X_Developer.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9vOABhBfEiwATCi7GD2JEvHMIlOmFvfgmEFur60OFmadqp8okeYkcWMb8qZ_a2D9wZf0MxoChDEQAvD_BwE#!

How it is with developing Tri-X because that pretty much all I use and still have a half dozen rolls of 36.

Hi Peter,

Ilford got the ilfotec HC, i believe it is the equivalent to kodak HC110... worth having a look

i dont have much experience with tri-X but i believe too they are well similar in processing and i just rinse well with water for stopbath

On 05/02/2021 at 3:23 AM, PeterMM1 said:

....I don’t think these are good anymore....

11 hours ago, PeterMM1 said:

It is nice, no issue. Different than id-11 (i believe that is similar to d-76). I am no expert but to me, you get better shadow details with dd-x and a bit less grain. The tradeoff is a bit less sharp maybe. I like both but tend to prefer id-11. I'd say well worth a try, especially if you push sometime to time.

I use a stopbath but i don't think it is mandatory. 

Edited by Aryel