35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Playing with the new to me Summilux 35 f/1.4 (1972 build - what version is that?)

Summilux 35 wide open M10P

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KFo said:

Playing with the new to me Summilux 35 f/1.4 (1972 build - what version is that?)

Summilux 35 wide open M10P

From the look of the very very heavy glow you have, it's a mid V2.... Black, plastic tab, no infinity lock. 

Nice shots... try stopping it down at F2, you will be amazed how sharp. 

Edited by Steven
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

From the look of the very very heavy glow you have, it's a mid V2.... Black, plastic tab, no infinity lock. 

Nice shots... try stopping it down at F2, you will be amazed how sharp. 

Funny, I was messing with that.  Completely different lens @f/2.  This image @f/2.8 looks sharp enough for people I hang with.  I was looking for that bi-modal kind of rendering from this lens.  My Fuji X100 had that and it was fun to use.  Over time I'll see if this is enough "glow" or just too much. I sure would hate to get in a hunt for the perfect... 

• Like 3

"Pinafore" is in Town! Note to Self; 'Must get tickets!'...

M-D Typ-262, '74 Summilux, 1/250 f1.4 ISO 800;

Philip.

• Like 2

After having been a central presence in London's West End for musicians over the course of the last 60 years Macari's Musical Instruments has finally closed its doors in the capital!......:o......I have to say that it came as a bit of a shock when I read the forlorn-looking A4 typed notice simply taped to the wall (seen here centre of image). After all; this was the place where a certain Jimi Hendrix used to buy his Strats by the half-dozen; an establishment frequented by the likes of H. Marvin, E. Clapton, M. Knopfler and countless other world-renowned musicians (and myself, too...) over those 6 decades. It will be sadly missed.

First afternoon with the Summilux - and really just taken for myself as a Memento Mori - M Monochrom, 1/4000 f2 @ ISO 320;

They are still in business and have relocated to Haywards Heath but that's not quite the same somehow...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pippy said:

"Pinafore" is in Town! Note to Self; 'Must get tickets!'...

M-D Typ-262, '74 Summilux, 1/250 f1.4 ISO 800;

Philip.

This looks amazingly sharp for f/1.4, probably even sharper than your next (daylight) picture at f/2 (which looks more like f/1.4). Are you sure the aperture is correct?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, evikne said:

This looks amazingly sharp for f/1.4, probably even sharper than your next (daylight) picture at f/2 (which looks more like f/1.4). Are you sure the aperture is correct?

Hi evkine. Thanks for the question.

I can say a definite 'Yes' to the thoughts regarding both photographs. For the 'Pinafore' snap I had only picked up the lens the day before and, as it was completely new to me, was very much focussed (pun) on trying to discover how it rendered wide-open so any- and every- time it was possible to shoot at f1.4 that's what I did.

The 'daylight' pic of Macari's - which is one of a few I've posted taken as I walked home on the day I bought the lens and was, similarly, a 'test photo' - and was only shot at f2 because I was already at the extremes of ISO and shutter-speed on the M Monochrom (ISO 320 and 1/4000) and I didn't want the highlights to blow-out more than they were already likely to do! For this reason of bright sunlight / f1.4 the majority of photo's were shot with the M-D as it has a base ISO of 200.

I'm not sure why there is not more 'glow' to the evening shot but the point of focus was central to the image and a fair distance away so I'm not surprised that it is sharp. But I would have expected more 'glow'.

Philip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as a Post Script to evkine's question...

I've just had a look at the info from both files and they sort-of confirm things as in the guess for the aperture for the Pinafore snap is f1.7 and the guess for the Macari's pic is f2.4 which ties-in perfectly with the EXIF data normally (IMO) being around 1/2 stop 'wrong' it being always on the underexposure side of things.

Philip.

8 hours ago, evikne said:

Definitely looks like wide open for me. This lens is undpredictable, especially at night, as too how much glow it will provide. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steven said:

Definitely looks like wide open for me. This lens is undpredictable, especially at night, as too how much glow it will provide. 

I haven't used it much at night, and I am usually too afraid to open it up fully. Maybe I should give it a try. 

• Like 1

It is indeed an amazing little lens - wide open (according to Exif data 1.7, 1/125, ISO 640). For me, it is a top performer at night.

M10-D, Summilux 1.4/35 pre ASPH

• Like 6

Wide open. I focused on the berries in the foreground.

• Like 10

This is wide open too.

• Like 10

I'm coming at this lens from the angle of: "how does this fit into my style."  Using it pretty intensively the last few days to understand.  Wow, the flare, I need to get a hood for this baby.  

<It made me get my Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH FLE out...gawd that thing is huge!  It's been a while.  Just wow.  The current version is pretty amazing piece of engineering; that doesn't mean it's right for you though!>

Summilux 35 f/1.4 V2 (1972 build) wide open M10P.  My wingdog. He has my back while I'm shooting in the city.

Edited by KFo
  • Like 1

Finding the way into this lens....  I'm liking the natural vignetting

All below with M10P Summilux 35 f/1.4 wide open

First something along the lines of my style.

Out in the evening in Barrio Vallcarca.  I was switching between the old 1972 Summilux lens and latest 1.4 ASPH FLE.  As I said earlier, the new lens is really a piece of work. Here, third or lesser best image from the evening with the 1972 lens.  I had to make big compromises to avoid lights projecting ONTO the lens.

Here, again in Barrio Vallcarca.  Lights in the frame don't seem to be an issue, no flare anyway.  I like what I'm thinking of as the cinematic rendering of this lens. It fits with some of my current work where I've been cropping into extremely wide almost panoramic frames.

Here, about as glowy as I would ever want, but I think good for the subject.  Once again, cinematic.

• Like 14

Above Park Güell, Barcelona.
From a series of photos of tourist photos around Barcelona.  I like the temperate treatment, not exactly soft focus, but delicate.  The opposite of Martin Parr I think.

M10P, Summilux 35 f/1.4 wide open

• Like 1

Fluffy underbrush

S1R + Summilux 35 pre asph II

• Like 8