35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I currently have a v3. 35mm summicron which I love it’s glued to my MP. Just wondering if I should sell it to finance a 35mm summilux pre-asph.

My current system is M10, M-P and M-A.

Heard many good things about the tiny 35mm summilux pre-asph and its softness wide open (which I adore).

They are quite expensive and I don’t know if it justifies the upgrade from my trustworthy v3 summicron.

Would you be able to post some pictures taken with the summilux wide open, digital and film. And pictures of your lens attached to your M? Comments, anything helps

Thank you so much!

Edited by Letin

Here are three with an M9. All at f/1.4. First two show the 35 'lux Pre at its "glowiest" - you can see the coma "wings" on some of the car highlights.

The third shows that sometimes it looks rather normal, just depends on the lighting, subject contrast and subject structure.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

The so-called pre-asph 35mm Summilux is like having two lenses in one. At ƒ1.4 it can create interesting halos in highlights which some people call a Leica glow. At ƒ2.0 or smaller it is very like the Summicron ƒ2.0.

If you do not mind the hassle, you could spend more and buy a CV lens and change it out for a Summicron on scene. I mind the hassle. Choices are a b*tch, eh?

Edited by pico
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Per request, here is the lens mounted on an M240 (heavily clothed in gaffer tape).

• Like 2

Here are three with an M9. All at f/1.4. First two show the 35 'lux Pre at its "glowiest" - you can see the coma "wings" on some of the car highlights.

The third shows that sometimes it looks rather normal, just depends on the lighting, subject contrast and subject structure.

attachicon.gif35lux-1.jpg

attachicon.gif35lux-2.jpg

attachicon.gif35lux-3.jpg

Thanks for these beautiful samples, and they do glow. I'm really like this glow and low contrast that is lacking in my modern lenses.

Even the third picture is rather "normal" nonetheless it's a great image, quite moody, time froze.

Keep the Summicron. Buy a Nokton 35/1.4 for those times you might want the dreamier look, and save yourself some money.

I much prefer my Nokton to the Pre-A Summilux I once owned.

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually borrowed my friend's Nokton 35/1.4 before it's extremely compact like the lux but I can't seem to connect with the images after a couple of black & white rolls. I haven't tested it against Pre-Asph lux but I have seen great results from my inexpensive V3. Summicron that's why I'm interested to find out more about the lux version.

The so-called pre-asph 35mm Summilux is like having two lenses in one. At ƒ1.4 it can create interesting halos in highlights which some people call a Leica glow. At ƒ2.0 or smaller it is very like the Summicron ƒ2.0.

If you do not mind the hassle, you could spend more and buy a CV lens and change it out for a Summicron on scene. I mind the hassle. Choices are a b*tch, eh?

Thanks, like answered in the post above I didn't quite connect to the CV 1.4. Despite it being significantly cheaper and handles quite nicely but it lacks character I seek. You know especially with films you kinda have certain expectations built up for what you captured, for the short time I borrowed my friend's CV, most images came out rather disappointing and "flat". But with my summicron, I knew the moment I released that shutter I got the image I wanted.

So it's either keeping my summicron or trading it in for the Lux. You mentioned how the the lux behaves similarly to summicrons at f2.0 or smaller, that's exactly my reason for upgrade, and at no extra weight/size! how did you find focusing at 1m with the lux? does that bother you at all?

Edited by Letin

While this lens glows wide open, stop it down just half a stop to f1.8 and it is sharp (and I mean sharp): eyelashes just stand out. Extremely impressive lens. It's only glitch that sometimes annoys me is the minimum focus distance (closer than 1m, maybe 0.9 on mine)  

• Like 1

I've had the Summicron V3 twice and each time I loved it and each time I regret selling it!! It's so small and easy to use and, for me, a perfect balance between modern super sharp and the older too much softness/low contrast/glow.

Having said that, I did sell the V3 to buy the Lux pre-asph. I wondered and pondered if the glow would be too much for me. TBH I haven't come to love the Lux pre-asph that much yet - I believe it's because I haven't worked hard enough to get the best out of it. Wide open, I believe you have to get exposure spot on because highlights blow out way too easily. In even lighting, it's much easier to make it shine and appreciate its beautiful glow. The other thing is that while the lens is tiny, I need to have the hood on in order to put a filter. I don't want to shoot without a protective filter because my copy is pristine.

Other than at f1.4, yes, at f2 onwards it's very similar to the cron v3 for street shooting. So in that sense I agree with the comment that the Lux pre-asph is 2 lenses in one, unless shooting in harsh lighting.

Attaching this shot I took when testing the pre-asph the first time and for me, this image is what the character is all about - quite distinct glow and lovely bokeh. Shot wide open, of course.

• Like 3

Keep the Summicron. Buy a Nokton 35/1.4 for those times you might want the dreamier look, and save yourself some money.

I much prefer my Nokton to the Pre-A Summilux I once owned.

I agree with you, the 35mm f/1.4 Nokton is pretty much a copy with a modern M mount that you can code ( the OP may have overlooked the fact that the Lux can't be coded). And an added bonus is you can get it in Single Coated SC and Multi Coated MC versions, so if the OP is looking for character the SC version is perhaps an obvious choice.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

I've had the Summicron V3 twice and each time I loved it and each time I regret selling it!! It's so small and easy to use and, for me, a perfect balance between modern super sharp and the older too much softness/low contrast/glow.

Having said that, I did sell the V3 to buy the Lux pre-asph. I wondered and pondered if the glow would be too much for me. TBH I haven't come to love the Lux pre-asph that much yet - I believe it's because I haven't worked hard enough to get the best out of it. Wide open, I believe you have to get exposure spot on because highlights blow out way too easily. In even lighting, it's much easier to make it shine and appreciate its beautiful glow. The other thing is that while the lens is tiny, I need to have the hood on in order to put a filter. I don't want to shoot without a protective filter because my copy is pristine.

Other than at f1.4, yes, at f2 onwards it's very similar to the cron v3 for street shooting. So in that sense I agree with the comment that the Lux pre-asph is 2 lenses in one, unless shooting in harsh lighting.

Attaching this shot I took when testing the pre-asph the first time and for me, this image is what the character is all about - quite distinct glow and lovely bokeh. Shot wide open, of course.

Thanks for speaking from experience and it seems like the lux pre-asph require some taming and fine skills to get the result you want. Getting the exposure right at f/1.4 might be a little more forgiving on films. You're lucky you found a good copy, can I ask how much you paid for it when you got it? they range from $2000 - $2900usd last time I checked.

So glad to see your comment since you've owned the Summicron V3 in the past.

I agree with you, the 35mm f/1.4 Nokton is pretty much a copy with a modern M mount that you can code ( the OP may have overlooked the fact that the Lux can't be coded). And an added bonus is you can get it in Single Coated SC and Multi Coated MC versions, so if the OP is looking for character the SC version is perhaps an obvious choice.

Thanks, I should borrow my friend's Nokton again and perhaps test it on digital this time (only shot a few rolls of films with the lens before).

I cannot recommend the CV 35/1.4 on digital rangefinders due to focus shift. Works fine with an EVF though but flares a lot, at least my "SC" version does even more than my Summilux 35/1.4 v2. Otherwise it has a similar rendering to the later's but without its famous "glow" (halos around highlights) though. FWIW.

Edited by lct