Leica Rangefinder Photographs editing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought it would be useful to have a thread here for photographs taken with any Leica rangefinder camera.  The goal is to show what these cameras can do in our hands, along with our personal ability to create good photographs with them.  

There are two "rules", actually guidelines, not rules:

Number 1 - 

Number 2 - https://www.worldpressphoto.org/GenericPage/Detail/28569/Verification-process  (general guidelines, this is not a contest)

The goal is to see what we can create with these cameras, without excessive digital manipulation.  If anyone wants to go along with this, they need to post two images, one an "out of camera" jpg (the image before manipulation) and the final result.  Any image editor can be used, as long as it is in keeping with the goals of the WorldPressPhoto contest, and the Ethics for Photojournalists.  Presumably we got inspired by something we viewed through the camera, and then used the tools in the camera an in the editor to create a final image.  If someone has a pimple, leave it alone.  If there is distracting stuff in the image, move around until it's gone - no digital erasing.

This isn't intended to be a thread showing off one's artistic ability in editing. 

No DSLR photos, only Leica Rangefinder photos, from any Leica rangefinder camera.  They can be color or b&w, digital or film, with any editing conforming with the above guidelines..  Any focal length lens can be used.  It's a thread for photographs, not one's ability with manipulating image data with a computer.

Finally, it would be nice if people posting here could say something about how they made the photo, so others could try something similar.

It's intended to be just for fun - anyone with a Rangefinder Leica can participate.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

without excessive digital manipulation

I am sorry - but what is "excessive"? Digital photography is a workflow, from capture as a digital negative (DNG) to print. We spend a lot on processing programmes (LR, Capture One etc), add ons to the basic programme (Topaz AI, NIK et al) and calibrated monitors - and then you talk about "without excessive". Misses the whole point of getting the best image from the DNG. I am not into forensic photography.

Your first link opens a article on Covid side effects.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

Hmmm -

post two images, one an "out of camera" jpg (the image before manipulation) and the final result. 

No DSLR photos, only Leica Rangefinder photos, from any Leica rangefinder camera.  They can be color or b&w, digital or film, with any editing conforming with the above guidelines..  

Sorry, but the jpg function seems to be missing from my M7's menus. ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pedaes said:

I am sorry - but what is "excessive"? Digital photography is a workflow, from capture as a digital negative (DNG) to print. We spend a lot on processing programmes (LR, Capture One etc), add ons to the basic programme (Topaz AI, NIK et al) and calibrated monitors - and then you talk about "without excessive". Misses the whole point of getting the best image from the DNG. I am not into forensic photography.

Perhaps the OP means, one jpg out of camera, and one adjusted image that's ready to print or sell.

?

1 hour ago, frame-it said:

Perhaps the OP means, one jpg out of camera, and one adjusted image that's ready to print or sell.

Yes, that is a perfect example of "final result".  Much more obvious than what I wrote.

One photograph as it was captured "in camera", and another photograph adjusted for posting online, printing, or selling.

I always thought it would be good to have a Constructive Criticism thread or maybe a sub-forum .  IMHO the challenge is evaluating composition.  It's easy to know what is included in the photo, what was excluded is the challenge.  

Regarding PP, how do you handle film photos?  What is the SOOC benchmark?  Or is the intent strictly for digital.  And if digital, would this be something for the Digital Post Processing Forum?

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

The trouble with that is nobody here shoots jpegs (or will readily admit to doing so!).

Leica rule No4 always shoot RAW!

I dunno.  I do shoot in raw, but those images are too large to post here.  So, I export a 'jpg' to show the original.  Last time I tried, the system wouldn't allow me to post a 'dng' file.

41 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I must confess that I am not prepared to display half-finished photographs other  than as illustration of a technique.

Well, what I'm suggesting would show all of us (especially me) what you started with out of the camera, and your final result.  I mostly come to this forum to learn, and I would find that most useful, unless you're totally revising the image in the image editor.  

I've got a perfect set of from-camera and finished-image, but I can't post them here because they're from my Nikon, as I needed a 200mm lens.

24 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

I always thought it would be good to have a Constructive Criticism thread or maybe a sub-forum .  IMHO the challenge is evaluating composition.  It's easy to know what is included in the photo, what was excluded is the challenge.  

Regarding PP, how do you handle film photos?  What is the SOOC benchmark?  Or is the intent strictly for digital.  And if digital, would this be something for the Digital Post Processing Forum?

As long as you're shooting with a rangefinder, feel free to do all of that right here.  

What is "PP", and a SOOC benchmark?  

The intent in this thread is ANY photo from a Leica Rangefinder, especially including film.

Anybody and everybody is welcome to send me feedback on any photos I post here, just as we do in the DxO PhotoLab forum.  That's a great way to learn.

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Rangefinder Photographs editing