180mm Lens Focus Questions

1joel1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, ocean2059 said:

I am thinking about sending my 180mm for a CLA service (mine copy works fine but it has the original motor). Does your 180mm have the new motor? What's the cost for S-lens CLA service, if you don't mind sharing? Thank you.

Hi Ocean 2059,

Leica Germany is in the process of returning my S lenses from prophylactic AF mechanism repair and a shutter replacement on my S 007 (disappointing). The S 007 had been purchased as a CPO from Leica Miami about 2 years ago.  Leica Miami "did not have time" (disappointing) to help send my S 007 back for repair, so I managed it on my own, and decided to send 4 S lenses in at the same time for the AF repair.

Cost for the shutter replacement came to $1400. The S007 took about 8 weeks for repair door to door. (Leica NJ sent me a loaner S 007 in the interim, which was much appreciated!)

Cost for the Leica S lenses for AF replacement along with CLAs came to $285 for each of 3 lenses (S70, 24, 180), and the S24mm was $325.  S repairs have to go through NJ before Germany (for preliminary diagnosis, but just ship out to Germany for repair) and this delays everything about 3 weeks.    I'm awaiting return of my S100 and S24 this week; this has taken maybe 12 weeks. Still waiting to hear on my S 180, but I'd expect it very soon.

Leica NJ has been great in dealing with status updates and accommodating with a loaner.  

As for my S 70 which is back now from repair and CLA . . . it is a pleasure to have it back and its performance is just superb. Really glad that I've sent all of the lenses back and looking forward to having them back.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

Hi Ocean 2059,

Leica Germany is in the process of returning my S lenses from prophylactic AF mechanism repair and a shutter replacement on my S 007 (disappointing). The S 007 had been purchased as a CPO from Leica Miami about 2 years ago.  Leica Miami "did not have time" (disappointing) to help send my S 007 back for repair, so I managed it on my own, and decided to send 4 S lenses in at the same time for the AF repair.

Cost for the shutter replacement came to $1400. The S007 took about 8 weeks for repair door to door. (Leica NJ sent me a loaner S 007 in the interim, which was much appreciated!)

Cost for the Leica S lenses for AF replacement along with CLAs came to $285 for each of 3 lenses (S70, 24, 180), and the S24mm was $325.  S repairs have to go through NJ before Germany (for preliminary diagnosis, but just ship out to Germany for repair) and this delays everything about 3 weeks.    I'm awaiting return of my S100 and S24 this week; this has taken maybe 12 weeks. Still waiting to hear on my S 180, but I'd expect it very soon.

Leica NJ has been great in dealing with status updates and accommodating with a loaner.  

As for my S 70 which is back now from repair and CLA . . . it is a pleasure to have it back and its performance is just superb. Really glad that I've sent all of the lenses back and looking forward to having them back.

Rob

Rob, thank you so much for the information of your S007 and S lenses service details. I have had very good experience with Leica Store in Washington DC as they handled all my previous S lens motor replacements (S35/S70/S100) few years ago. Recently I noticed that my S70 needs some focus re-calibration so I plan for a trip to Leica Store soon. I am debating if I should send my S120 and S180 along for CLAs as both still have the original motors. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, davidmknoble said:

Joel, curious how that turned out.  I sent a 180mm in because the DOF readout on the S007 was wrong and didn't match where the focus was.  I.e., I could only focus to infinity, but not use a high f/stop and go from infinity back.  In any case, not your problem, but when I got the lens back it was incredible.  The focus mount moves effortlessly and the lens was just well CLA'd... 

On 4/19/2021 at 2:21 PM, ocean2059 said:

I am thinking about sending my 180mm for a CLA service (mine copy works fine but it has the original motor). Does your 180mm have the new motor? What's the cost for S-lens CLA service, if you don't mind sharing? Thank you.

Hi,

Well, I didn't want to really deal with the time and expense so I offered Adorama to either pay the repair bill or let me return it. They thought it just best to return and I have no idea what they're doing with the lens now. I still haven't gotten one, but I'll find a nice one with updated motors some day.

Thanks,

Joel

• Like 2